Venoms Scout Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom Di Lemon

Hey 405th Members,

I thought i would let you know i jsut recently finished my scout helmet last night probably about 3:00am. This is basic 225GSM paper, printed and pepped together. At the moment, Just trying to find my resin and stuff supplies before we get cracking.

There is some slight imperfections that are visible due to some of the folds wouldn't follow the curvature of the helmet so they made slight changes but it can be fixed with bondo and then sanded to shape later. The overall look i'm impressed with and it does fit i just can't seem to take photos with it on due to limited visibility. The shoulders are next, just trying to find an accurate pep model.

This was NZTK model not the smooth one. Sizing is Default scale of 102.876899, Height 250mm, Width 271mm, Depth 367mm.

Regards

Venom/Matt

Front Side View:

DSC03742.jpg

Front:

DSC03743.jpg

Other Side:

DSC03744.jpg

Visor:

DSC03745.jpg

Back:

DSC03746.jpg

The back has the space in the bottom so i can slide my head in and out easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking pretty good, I'd personally make sure that the area around the visor is flat. (Just noticed one flap slightly loose... you might want to put some superglue under there --- no tape on the outside, for that really doesn't really work when you fiberglass)otherwise Good Luck Mate! Should be pretty awesome.

Cheers!

Yeah I agree with sniper, get that small bit and your looking as a definate winner, looking forward to seeing this finished

error.jpg

That the piece you mentioning about? I tried sticking it down with a bit of ye ol super glue, not much luck it doesn't seem to want to bend. so i'm going to make it a little easier by trimming it with some handy xato knife skills. Then when it come to sanding make it flush.

For the gaps i probably will use tape but not standard plastic sticky tape a more matte finished one like double sided or masking tape, these worked well before on other projects.

Regards

Matt

Yeah (my little bro made me a pep helm, with some tape on the outside... it lifted off during the resin stage, and now I have couple sharp knives on my helm). If you can't get the flap down, you should be able to bondo it and/or sand it off after resining it.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info on the tape. I decided to use some card wedges to cover holes made from cardstock, And a thick electrical tape with a matte finish so it doesn't slide off the glosy edge.

Yes the scale is Default as stated:

Sizing is Default scale of 102.876899, Height 250mm, Width 271mm, Depth 367mm. Model is NZTK's

Just an Update. I purchased my resin and fibreglass kit for £37.99 / $62.27.

This kit comprosies of:

One Jesmonite AC100 4Kg kit, containing 1Kg liquid and 3Kg powder

One 0.5Kg Jesmonite Thixotrope

Five metres of Surface Tissue from a 0.5m wide roll

One metre of Jesmonite Stitched Quadaxial Fabric, from a 1.25m wide roll

Jesmondite is an aqua based resin product for the UK.

I will give you the description i got here:

'Jesmonite AC100 contains no solvents as it is water based, therefore it is non-toxic and non-flammable; it has no nasty fumes like polyester resin. Jesmonite AC100 is a weather resistant product, although it should be sealed for permanent use outdoors, it also has full fire certification for Class 0. Jesmonite AC100 is compatible with both Latex and Silicone moulds – no release agent is required.

*Ratio is 1 Part liquid for 2.5 Parts Powder. So 1kg Liquid to 2.5kg powder. So smaller Quantities i will use as the pot life is not that long. I seem to have enough with just the one kit.*

Small quantities can be mixed by hand

Pot life after mixing 8-15 mins

Solidifies with 30 mins

Demould after 1-2 hours

Achieves full strength after 24-48 hours

Is a white / light grey colour when set

Can be painted with water based paints as well as cellulose car paints etc

Jesmonite Thixotrope is an additive for making a gel coat, which should be added at 2g-6g per Kg of mixed resin (you will need hardly any).

Surface Tissue is a lightweight glass fibre fabric for the initial reinforcement layers. This fabric weighs just 30 grams per square metre and easily conforms to detailed surfaces.

Stitched Quadaxial Mat is a heavier glass fibre fabric with an open weave to allow easy wetting through with resin. This fabric weighs around 160 grams per square metre'

While researching this, it is effective at making moulds like silicone moulds but harder. So it's a cheaper alternative so i'm going to give this a try. Just a heads up on a product i found really i can't do any work today so i will do some soon.

*I know it says this product is non toxic BUT DO WEAR A RESPIRATOR AND GLOVES.*

Thixotrope 500ml:

DSC03747.jpg

Jesmondite AC100 Resin 1kg Liquid

DSC03748.jpg

Jesmondite AC100 Powder 3kg

DSC03749.jpg

Fibreglass Surface Tissue 5m x 0.5m

DSC03750.jpg

Fibreglass Quadaxial Weave 1m x 1.25m

DSC03751.jpg

Whole Kit £37.99 / $62.27

DSC03752.jpg

Hope this info helps some of you out, UK as i know it's hard to find good stuff to use on the cheap.

I'm going to start by resining inside helmet first with the Thixotrope and resin mixed together, then the surface tissue then the Quadaxial Weave. Then use rest of resin for outside of helmet.

My Ratios i'm going to use is 100g liquid to 250g powder. i measured it out with household items water and icing sugar ^^ same consistancy.

Regards

Venom/Matt

New Video, This is just whats gone on and how the trial on my Resin and fibreglass kit works.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kYKOKiAxC0[/media]

Regards

Matt

Venom_Di_Lemon said:
Hey 405th Members,

I thought i would let you know i jsut recently finished my scout helmet last night probably about 3:00am. This is basic 225GSM paper, printed and pepped together. At the moment, Just trying to find my resin and stuff supplies before we get cracking.

There is some slight imperfections that are visible due to some of the folds wouldn't follow the curvature of the helmet so they made slight changes but it can be fixed with bondo and then sanded to shape later. The overall look i'm impressed with and it does fit i just can't seem to take photos with it on due to limited visibility. The shoulders are next, just trying to find an accurate pep model.

This was NZTK model not the smooth one. Sizing is Default scale of 102.876899, Height 250mm, Width 271mm, Depth 367mm.

Regards

Venom/Matt

Front Side View:

DSC03742.jpg

Front:

DSC03743.jpg

Other Side:

DSC03744.jpg

Visor:

DSC03745.jpg

Back:

DSC03746.jpg

The back has the space in the bottom so i can slide my head in and out easier.
nice lookin good

Ok as i promised a strength video with the Mark VI helmet before i touh my sout. This is with the AC100, still no fibreglass added.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQKnjmqdw1s[/media]

Regards

Matt

Well Dam internet cut off, just had to type all this ^^ here we go again ^^.

Well as you know my scouts been long since started and i have been busy with work but i found some time off last night and today so i got stuck in, Firstly the Jesmondite can act as your resin and fibreglass and yes and your Bondo ^^, due to it's texture it reacts just like bondo small amounts can be placed in holes and over scratches and then sanded down to make it smooth. This was trial and error i found that out. Ok yor going to need two coats inside and outside for the jesmondite to work properly due to it soaks in the paper.

Use a small brush and wipe it on like your resin. Remember brush strokes the same way. You may get some lumps but they can be picked off or sanded over. right after you have done this it takes 2 hours to dry, then you can do the outside, then two hours again, then inside coat, then outside coat again. it will leave some deep marks depending on your spread of it.

Now i used a black spray paint from games workshop, Chaos black :) The visor was painted with a Games Workshop gold to set the colour.

Pictures Better ones :)

DSC03783.jpg

DSC03784.jpg

DSC03785.jpg

DSC03786.jpg

Let me know what you think :)

Regards

Matt

Not a lot of progress yet as i just went to open my bondo i had bought from B&Q and it's already hard, like it's been mixed with harder, so i'm heading back for an exchange.

The visor i'm finding difficult as i need to track one down first then i need to know what it's flex limit is as i rekon i will have to flex it a bit if i don't cut in the right place. As well how do you fit a visor in do most people glue it? or is there certain ways?

In the photos now there is still a lot of work to be done so lots of bondo and sanding :) Got enough sanding blocks though so should be fine, i prefer doing it by hand so i can feel it curve and i can control it :) My mouse sander is also loud and doing it at 2:00am isn't pretty ^^

Regards

Venom

Your helmet is getting better and better! You didn't seem to have a problem with that tab I see ;) . Do you plan to paint it black or another color? (If you're a Darkspire fan, you could be the bulldozer lol.)

Anyway good luck!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back