Very good bondo replacement.

FinnishSpartan

Well-Known Member
Okay guys so i found this very good bondo replacement: (prestolith NC combi putty)
http://www.dupli-color.de/webgate/WG_5_2.n...WUR-522CF5-EN-p
it's very similiar to bondo except you do not have to add hardener, it will harden itself in 45mins, in 2-3 hours it will be water or dry sandable.

It is very useful compared to normal bondo since you have more time to actually spread out the bondo so that you dont have to sand as much.
Also when it dryes the surface forms smoothly so that you wont have parts sticking out wich will be a very annoying pain to sand out.

This will be very good for beginners. it wont have the risk of not hardening (since you dont use hardener).
and it is as strong as bondo.

(im posting images when i have sanded my helmet. to get the details).

-Finnish

EDIT: (answer to popular question.)

Yes this stuff is available in the us, on the website click the little american flag and it will be in english.

Also at the top you can search for your closest retailer.
I have been using presto products ever since because we dont have bondo,
This stuff doesnt smell that bad, it is brown like chocolate (so your helmet will be chocolate coated!!! LOL!) and the retailer told me that you dont even need a respirator for this,
I have done my entire helmet using this it took 2 days to get as solid as regular bondo (it's cold where i live).
 

rpalmer919

New Member
Finnish_Spartan said:
Okay guys so i found this very good bondo replacement: (prestolith NC combi putty)
http://www.dupli-color.de/webgate/WG_5_2.n...WUR-522CF5-EN-p
it's very similiar to bondo except you do not have to add hardener, it will harden itself in 45mins, in 2-3 hours it will be water or dry sandable.

-Finnish
Cool! I noticed that website ends in .de, which is like Germany, right? Do they sell that stuff in the US, and does anyone know what we call it over here (us lazy Americans don't want to say "NC combi putty" so if it's here, it's got to have a shorter name... :p
 
Last edited by a moderator:

cgspartan

Member
how durable is this stuff, and how does it smell?

I've been looking for a replacement to bondo for a while now, due to the smell (I can use epoxy resins instead of polyurethane resins for less smell for fiberglassing) but i have yet to find something as good as bondo that doesn't have the horrid smell.

The only thing I've found so far that is as durable as bondo is various epoxy putties. but those are usually quite expensive. So if this stuff is quite strong, I'd be very interested in it.

most stuff I've seen like this is usually a type of spackle.. which are never very durable...



Also, yea what stretch said. Is this stuff available in the us, anyone know?
 

FinnishSpartan

Well-Known Member
cgspartan said:
how durable is this stuff, and how does it smell?

I've been looking for a replacement to bondo for a while now, due to the smell (I can use epoxy resins instead of polyurethane resins for less smell for fiberglassing) but i have yet to find something as good as bondo that doesn't have the horrid smell.

The only thing I've found so far that is as durable as bondo is various epoxy putties. but those are usually quite expensive. So if this stuff is quite strong, I'd be very interested in it.

most stuff I've seen like this is usually a type of spackle.. which are never very durable...
Also, yea what stretch said. Is this stuff available in the us, anyone know?
Yes this stuff is available in the us, on the website click the little american flag and it will be in english.

Also at the top you can search for your closest retailer.
I have been using presto products ever since because we dont have bondo,
This stuff doesnt smell that bad, it is brown like chocolate (so your helmet will be chocolate coated!!! LOL!) and the retailer told me that you dont even need a respirator for this,
I have done my entire helmet using this it took 2 days to get as solid as regular bondo (it's cold where i live).
 
Last edited by a moderator:

cgspartan

Member
Finnish_Spartan said:
Yes this stuff is available in the us, on the website click the little american flag and it will be in english.

Also at the top you can search for your closest retailer.
I have been using presto products ever since because we dont have bondo,
This stuff doesnt smell that bad, it is brown like chocolate (so your helmet will be chocolate coated!!! LOL!) and the retailer told me that you dont even need a respirator for this,
I have done my entire helmet using this it took 2 days to get as solid as regular bondo (it's cold where i live).

yes clicking the American flag at the top will make the site in english, that doesn't change the fact that when you search for a retailer it only gives you swiss, german, and austrian dealers. :p


also, I'm just a little wary of the stuff since i haven't been able to find any info on it except from the site that you linked (stupid company having an extremely generic name) I use duplicolor stuff all the time.. just never heard of/used presto products
 
Last edited by a moderator:

FinnishSpartan

Well-Known Member
cgspartan said:
yes clicking the American flag at the top will make the site in english, that doesn't change the fact that when you search for a retailer it only gives you swiss, german, and austrian dealers. :p
also, I'm just a little wary of the stuff since i haven't been able to find any info on it except from the site that you linked (stupid company having an extremely generic name) I use duplicolor stuff all the time.. just never heard of/used presto products
As i said i have always been using presto products and they are very good, I finished making my helmet with this thing, i will post pics on my helmet update topic...
i am also going to spray over it with a presto spray filler to make a very hard very smooth finish... i would have bought it today but the shops where closed 30 minutes ago.... stupid laws, each store HAS to close at 7pm each day... stores open till 4pm on saturdays, and closed on sundays...

-Finnish
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top