W.i.p. Mkvi Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeon117

Jr Member
***Update*** 6-9-09
The correctly scaled helmet I mentioned that I would be starting in December has finally begun. Currently I have a pepped, and double Fiber Resined outside model waiting to be Bondoed for detail. Pics will come soon.
This thread will be continued for this new model, and will start on post 24 (I think) which is on page two of this thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*****FINISHED!!!(10-31-08) (Incorrectly scaled model)****
Check the new pics on post #14
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*****UPDATE!!!(10-30-08)*****
Painted pics, and mostly completed on post #14
Considering selling this PM if interested for details and or pricing (will most likely be fairly cheep compared to other MC Helmets as it is not all that high quality) If no one wants it, and I do decide to sell it, it will try for ebay.
*****UPDATE!!!(10-28-08)*****
Sorry I took so long to get the outside resined, but I did snap of some pictures of it for anyone who wants an updated visual. Even though I call it "completed" resin, the resin is still hardening as the pics are about 10 mins off from fresh resin.

Completed Resin, Front:
FinishedFront.jpg

More pics are in this photobucket album. You shouldn't need a password or anything, but if there are problems, let me know.

I know it may look like some parts have either little or no resin (appears lighter), but thats not the case because it was the way I had the flashlight pointed while taking the picture. It is 6am when I took those pics outside, so it was pretty dark. The only part that hasn't touched resin is the visor, and I probably won't resin it easier for sake of cutting it out easier.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**Original Post***
I attempted to scale this to my size using jedifraz formula, but for some reason, even when I added 2 extra inches to my size, it came out to be a very tight fit. It fits, but just barely. I am planning on resining this, so if anyone has ideas on how to make it a tad roomier, that would be appreciated. (need some quick answers to this, as I currently plan to resin this in like 6 hours from this posting)

Pictures

Its not actually pink, not that it matters, but actually listed as cherry on the package; it does look more red in person though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you trim the neck? If so, and it's still barely fitting, you might want to consider building another one with a few more centimeters added. From the looks, you won't have any (or little) padding in it.

Looks great, nice folds! Try making a Medium-High detail helmet (Halo 3) now. So that you can get all the possible detail out of your helmet!

You could resin it now, it will need alot more work to get the details out though.

-FSS

Finnish_Spartan said:
Looks great, nice folds! Try making a Medium-High detail helmet (Halo 3) now. So that you can get all the possible detail out of your helmet!

You could resin it now, it will need alot more work to get the details out though.

-FSS

The details on my first pep isn't that big of a loss to me, although, I will spend some time trying to bring them out some how.
I'll look for an HD Helmet, although I haven't seen one in the past, and make that my second helmet pep.

-----------
The neck isn't cut out, but if you can tell from the inside picture, it has been sliced in various spots (mostly where valley folds should be) that give it more flexibility. What I am concerned about is if it will shrink when I resin it (from layers), if so thats what I want to get around.

Aeon Psych said:
The details on my first pep isn't that big of a loss to me, although, I will spend some time trying to bring them out some how.
I'll look for an HD Helmet, although I haven't seen one in the past, and make that my second helmet pep.
-----------
The neck isn't cut out, but if you can tell from the inside picture, it has been sliced in various spots (mostly where valley folds should be) that give it more flexibility. What I am concerned about is if it will shrink when I resin it (from layers), if so thats what I want to get around.

I've never even completed a pep helmet, but from the looks of the completed ones, it shouldn't shrink.

as for the HD helmet, go check Flying_Squirl's or something... it's also on the pep wiki.

And nice job on the helmet.

LastSpartan said:
Have a look at the costuming wiki or the Downloading Hub in the news forum.

halocostuming.wikia.com

Found one, thnx guys.

also I started resin, but only have the top of the inside so far. I'll get pics later today.

**Sorry about double post, but...

Some fresh Fiberglass Resin Pics!
Inside, general:
HelmetScaledinsideresingeneral.jpg

More Pictures Here

Did I resin it correctly? What you people think? Also, what are the health hazards after It is mostly hardened? Right now I have it chilling in my bed room

I would keep it somewhere else if I were you. Until the resin is completely cured, it gives off poisonous fumes that you really don't want to be inhaling. Keep it in the garage or something. Perhaps open your bedroom window to let the room air out.

Aeon Psych said:
Its not actually pink, not that it matters, but actually listed as cherry on the package; it does look more red in person though.

No let me guess. Its lightesh red. ;)

MexicanVendetta said:
you might wanna cut off some of the bottom of the helm beacuse the same happened to me and everytime i put my helmet on it hurt!!

Thats why if you notice, I have not resined the bottom of the helmet yet, just in case I decided to trim the paper. I have already cut the valley folds as you can see in some of the pictures, to allow for increased bendability of the flaps of paper, thus allowing at least a little "warping" around head parts (ears, buldges, etc.). Although that has helped a little, it is still a little hard to get off.

If I trim I am worried that It will not look right, because I have already not assembled the back bottom paper cut outs.

Aeon Psych said:
Thats why if you notice, I have not resined the bottom of the helmet yet, just in case I decided to trim the paper. I have already cut the valley folds as you can see in some of the pictures, to allow for increased bendability of the flaps of paper, thus allowing at least a little "warping" around head parts (ears, buldges, etc.). Although that has helped a little, it is still a little hard to get off.

If I trim I am worried that It will not look right, because I have already not assembled the back bottom paper cut outs.

Wow! great job on the folds, and resin. I don't know much about resin, but it looks pretty good to me!

*****FINISHED!!!*****
w00t finally finished!
Front:
FinishedFront.jpg

More pictures in this Photobucket album

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***ORIGINAL POST***
Alright got some new pics. It is just freshly painted, not completed painted, I still got to paint the gills, side of the visor (where it attaches) and the brim underside. For the most part, all is left is installing the visor.

Front:
PaintedScaledFront.jpg

More Pictures Here

All the pics from this project are in this ALBUM. There are mostly already linked here, but there are some I haven't linked to.

When ths is finished, Ill probably put this up on ebay soon. Or if someone wants to purchase it just pm me for details on the helmet, and or pricing (most likely fairly cheep as it isn't all that high quality).

I'll be honest: it looks sketchy and could use some smoothing work. But I do like the look of it right now and I'm really digging the paint scheme.

Crucible said:
I'll be honest: it looks sketchy and could use some smoothing work. But I do like the look of it right now and I'm really digging the paint scheme.

Yea,I am satisified with how it turned out.
I also agree that it isn't smoothed all the much, but I did the detailing 7 hours before I was to be wearing it. I also did not have enough time to get a "real" reflective visor as it would have cost 100$ for over night ship, and I was like f that. The visor is a "smoke tinted replacement motorcycle", so it does make it harder to see in from the out side, but it does not prevent that.

There is no fan nor any leds, its just a fiberglassed pep helmet that has been scaled to 25ish height in Pep. That is why it is to small for me, when I measured my self I turned out to be 27, but I would have added about 2 or 3 for 29ish (thats a 4 difference!) So that is why I am considering selling it. It is no piece of art, especially on the inside, but if you have a child or a small head, and want a cheap MKVI Helmet that looks quite nice on the outside, then consider this.

probably in or closer to December I will correctly scale another one and or either do a different helmet style, and actually take the time and materials to make it nicer, so be looking forward to that if anyone cares.

It looks like it would be a great start for someone. Save them the early stages of building. You did a good job on this. It's not perfect but then again, you were on a time crunch.

tlither said:
It looks like it would be a great start for someone. Save them the early stages of building. You did a good job on this. It's not perfect but then again, you were on a time crunch.

yup, had the pep, and first layer of resin done for ages.

1)The second layer of resin was done on October 29th at about 11pm
2)Then the body filler (detailer) was done October 30th at about 10pm, completed only the under the brim, gills, and side of the visor by 12am (midnight) of the 31st.
3)So by then I was like F**K, so I did a quick primer, did about 1 and a half layer of black by about 2am of the 31st
4)Red done by about 3am
5)cut out visor size, and installed by about 5 am, snapped some pics
6)In bed by about 5:40am
7)Awake at 6:30am October 31st
8)School at 7am-3pm, costume party and band event (costumes allowed) untill 10pm
9)Halloween ends.

So theres my time card for anyone who was curious. haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back