Warhammer 40K Space Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.
chwbcc said:
I hate waiting for things to dry... but I will try some to compare the results. I like to experiment!

OK :D

I tried some masking tape with different parts of a test piece, and found that it is fast and brilliant for long parts, like on the security shoulders which are made from lots of long strips. However, for smaller, more detailed parts, it's kinda tricky, so I resorted to using PVA for those areas. In future projects, I think I'll use a PVA/Masking Tape hybrid; Masking tape for large areas, PVA for the smaller, more detailed areas ;)

Thanks for the tip; it's a very big time saver :D

I just can't figure out why the resin won't stick to the tape... If I do, I'll post here why, and try and find a tape that resin WILL stick to :D

Leyton

Last edited by a moderator:
amancue said:
yes and The Machine God Shall Smile Upon the Tech Marine :p

good work guys

I think you'll find that the Space Wolf will win out this battle. The Great Wolf has smiled upon me and blessed me with perfect weather for fibreglassing :p

I ain't going to let some servant of the Omnissiah beat me

I think there are two reasons why resin won't stick to the tape

1) Most tapes have a barrier applied to the back side to prevent the tape from sticking to itself

2) The adhesive used acts like a barrier preventing the resin to completely soak into the piece.

On my helmet I did have a few pieces of tape that I couldn't remove but it was like three really tiny pieces.

My next experiment is going to be slush casting a piece that I taped together. I'm curious what results I will find.

chwbcc said:
I think there are two reasons why resin won't stick to the tape

1) Most tapes have a barrier applied to the back side to prevent the tape from sticking to itself

2) The adhesive used acts like a barrier preventing the resin to completely soak into the piece.

On my helmet I did have a few pieces of tape that I couldn't remove but it was like three really tiny pieces.

My next experiment is going to be slush casting a piece that I taped together. I'm curious what results I will find.

Yeah, I got pretty much the same results from my research; I can't find one that will absorb resin either

Oh well; I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the slush casting :D

Are you gonna post them on here?

Leyton

=Ω24= Leyton said:
Yeah, I got pretty much the same results from my research; I can't find one that will absorb resin either

Oh well; I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the slush casting :D

Are you gonna post them on here?

Leyton

But of course... I don't know if I will get to it anytime soon. I want to finish the suit I am working on now the old fashion way and take it to Megacon, here in Orlando.

I am working on a Helm file in Maya maybe I will pep that when I run out of Resin and fiberglass.

chwbcc said:
But of course... I don't know if I will get to it anytime soon. I want to finish the suit I am working on now the old fashion way and take it to Megacon, here in Orlando.

I am working on a Helm file in Maya maybe I will pep that when I run out of Resin and fiberglass.

Wow! I wish I could do to all these Cons; there are hardly ever any in England :(

Oh well, I need to make some better armour before I go to a Con anyway :D

What type of helm are you making?

chwbcc said:

not going to use the beakie you already made?

oh and bout mega what changed your mind? anyways I'll try and have mine done by mega, so there can be more SM's trooping

I've never been and it would fun to go and show off all the hard work. But I noticed that there is only a Anime costume contest so I'm not sure how long I will stay in costume.

I will use my Beakie for the Con but I am working on some Grey Knight files while I am waiting for pay day. I need more resin and fiberglass. And now I need another print cartridge and some card stock, but I can use stuff form work.

yeah but feel free to join us over @ our booth/table...and I'll spend a fair amount of time in costume.. but I'll be wearing multiple so..a little each day sort of thing

amancue said:
yeah but feel free to join us over @ our booth/table...and I'll spend a fair amount of time in costume.. but I'll be wearing multiple so..a little each day sort of thing

What table? Who are you going to be with?

Wolf Pack Elite, I will probably be working the table @ some point during the 'con (NOTE to mods here not trying lure people away from your wonderful site :D )

=Ω24= Leyton said:
You haven't posted in a while; got any progress?

I've been checking every day for the last month-ish ;)

Sorry about that, I have been working on Maya. I'm low in funds department right now and I am working on some new 3d files.

omegagauntlet said:
Do you reccommend some Maya teaching material for a self taught student?

You know I am working off the Tutorials and the help files and I have found some good sites just in searches... http://www.learning-maya.com/

Other than that I suggest starting at the beginning and learning the controls. The Shift and Ctrl keys hold all the functions you need to start with.

Face, Vertics, Edges and extrude are your friends.

I am learning animation now and then on to textures.

PM me if you want more help

Ok Back on topic

I've rebuilt a new Chest File.

Chwbcc-Space-Marine-Chest.jpg

Chwbcc's Space Marine Chest

I added in some supports and strengthen the arm areas a bit. The collar is now joined together in several places to add support.

I also didn't detail the back. I think most people will add a pack to the suit so a solid piece might work better.

I've cut seams on the Pep but haven't laid it out and it's not scaled yet but I will scale it when I finish the other pieces. But here is the file if you anyone would like to play with it right now.

Peace,

chwbcc

chwbcc said:
You know I am working off the Tutorials and the help files and I have found some good sites just in searches... http://www.learning-maya.com/

Other than that I suggest starting at the beginning and learning the controls. The Shift and Ctrl keys hold all the functions you need to start with.

Face, Vertics, Edges and extrude are your friends.

I am learning animation now and then on to textures.

PM me if you want more help

Thanks for the link.

Wow, so I can expect a whole bunch more custom armour files now Chwbcc? Just kidding...sort of. I haven't had a real close look at the chest file yet, but I will.

I'm not really a fan at all of the Tau, but of course I got the file. Haven't had a real good look at that yet either lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back