waterproofing cardboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xalener

1) what material would I do this with? You'll probably say resin, but I'll get to that later. Is there anything else?

2) If resin, what meathods of application do I use? How do I fill in the holes on the edge of the cardbord without warping?

3)Are there waterproof paints that can be taken seriously? (as in not look like complete crap when applied using normal meathods)
This is my first real question I've had in a while. Mabye ever.

There are waterproofing liquids available at hardware stores I think. They are really really nice and I use them for waterproofing stuff for my fishing trips.

depemding on the permiability of the cardstock you could use wax, but why not just use resin?

I resined my cardboard ODST. Just paint the cardboard on both sides with the resin, making sure you get the cardboard to soak up as much as it can in one coat. Then fill the hollow edges with red Bondo spot putty. Its like $3 a tube, and doesn't require mixing. You may end up using a lot of it. I would rely on paint once you finish to keep everything waterproofed. But once it soaks up all that resin, its already pretty much waterproofed. Do not waterproof before resining. Resining the cardboard does not warp it at all in my experience, and resined cardboard is very durable. Probably more so than vacuuformed styrene.
If you don't think that your cardboard structure can support the weight of all that resin while you're waiting for it to dry, reinforce areas of it with hot glue, or cardboard struts.
I hope that helps you. ;)

Sounds like DarthMaddy has it all under control....He said everything i could think of :D

I'll have to use some of those techniques on my armor.....Good Luck to ya!

~Epyon

Make sure when adding resin to cardboard you watch it until it dries at least halfway because it WILL soak through and warp it a little if not tinkered with a little when you see a change occuring.

darthmaddy said:
Then fill the hollow edges with red Bondo spot putty. Its like $3 a tube, and doesn't require mixing. You may end up using a lot of it.

Bondo absorbs water...just for future reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back