Weighted Companion Cube pdo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you get your cardboard? o_O and how do you get sooo much of it? lol I want to make a cardboard one now... and maybe mod a computer into it, haha...

A bit of help, please?

First of all, my apologies for reviving an older thread & a humble request that you not textually point and laugh at me too much for not quite knowing what I'm doing yet. :)

Second, I'm trying to put together a couple of these cubes that look so masterfully done by 'bevbor'...but I'm very much a novice. I've been looking for quite a while to build something of this nature & finally stumbled upon this thread which offers up the first real possibility...

I've gone so far as to get the Pepakura Designer purchased and I've tried with little success to get to the point where I can be sure I've properly sized the parts referenced in the 'WeCoCo_ALLSOLID.pdo' for a box, (basically the foundation which all of the parts in that file will be set upon/attached to), which is 18"x18"x18". In that particular model there is no box in the center & I'm not certain how to proceed.

This seems like a simple thing, (although I'm obviously too dumb to figure it out), but I definitely need a little help.

Can someone perhaps respond & give a little direction/advice? :)

Thanks,

Lharles

I don't really see the point of laughing, we all started out somewhere as novices.

The version of the file you have is normally built with cardstock, strengthened with fiberglass, and sanded/detailed/finished up in the same manner that all the other projects on this site are normally done.

For the scale you are trying to attempt(18"x18"x18"), going that route might be counterproductive, as well as take a lot of time. Instead of building it out of paper, print the pieces out, cut them out and trace them to a harder material, such as cardboard.

Using th other files(the ones with the box) might help out a little more, since they give a better visual for the size you want to make it.

As always, a bit of trial and error always helps in the long run......you might want to try it on a smaller scale so you know how to proceed first.

I am using the ALLSOLID version to do a smaller cube (small enough to sit on a desk), but the route I plan on building it includes filling the inside with smoothcast, to give it a decent weight.

Are you planning on making it the same way bevbor did, or are you trying something different (i.e. making it hollow and using it to store items inside)?

I don't really see the point of laughing, we all started out somewhere as novices.

The version of the file you have is normally built with cardstock, strengthened with fiberglass, and sanded/detailed/finished up in the same manner that all the other projects on this site are normally done.

For the scale you are trying to attempt(18"x18"x18"), going that route might be counterproductive, as well as take a lot of time. Instead of building it out of paper, print the pieces out, cut them out and trace them to a harder material, such as cardboard.

Using th other files(the ones with the box) might help out a little more, since they give a better visual for the size you want to make it.

As always, a bit of trial and error always helps in the long run......you might want to try it on a smaller scale so you know how to proceed first.

I am using the ALLSOLID version to do a smaller cube (small enough to sit on a desk), but the route I plan on building it includes filling the inside with smoothcast, to give it a decent weight.

Are you planning on making it the same way bevbor did, or are you trying something different (i.e. making it hollow and using it to store items inside)?

I suppose I should have stated that I'm using cardboard, earlier. :) I've done a couple test pieces with cardboard, I just want to verify the scale, (I increased the scale of the original ALLSOLID model by 50% within the pepakura application). Basically, I just need someone to tell me what size the parts should be, (within pepakura), to use with/attach to a box that's 18"x18"x18". I plan on finding a way to give the box a little, evenly distributed weight but I haven't fully conceptualized that yet, (I have a question regarding that sort of thing for you below...)

I'm going to be doin' a lot of learning as this progresses but my motivation(s) - not unlike 'bevbor' - for this project are my four children who are just about ready to lose their minds at the prospect of a full size cube, (roughly :) ). We just finished up Portal 2, a couple days ago...

A couple quick, additional questions, if you're willing to answer. :) I'm going to go searching these forums & Google'ing as well but answers from people who know what they're talking about in response to a topic I'm already interested in is always a bit more effective...

1) What sort of 'fiberglass' strengthening material is typically used with cardstock?

2) What is 'smoothcast'?

My genuine thanks to you, 'otakuapprentice', for takin' a little time to respond...

Lharles

"http://www.smooth-on.com/" - Ah, there seems to be a lot of choice when it comes to this stuff! Is there a particular type you'll be using for weight? - Now I'm curious. :) -

If you're going after weight, using large amounts of expensive resin isn't the only way. You could also glue in some ballast.

The standard fiberglass strengthening done is by coating the piece in fiberglass resin, laying down some fiberglass mat/cloth and covering that in resin again, giving it a hard shell; for those of us who do not like dealing with mat/cloth, coating the item in resin and slushcasting the inside with smoothcast or another material is used.

For the size lharles is trying to build, I really would not suggest using smoothcast for the inside (since that would require a large amount); that method would probably be good if it was a much smaller scale (5in. and under).

Try reading some of the sticky posts in the 'Pepakura and Cardboard Armor' forum, those might help you out a bit.

The standard fiberglass strengthening done is by coating the piece in fiberglass resin, laying down some fiberglass mat/cloth and covering that in resin again, giving it a hard shell; for those of us who do not like dealing with mat/cloth, coating the item in resin and slushcasting the inside with smoothcast or another material is used.

For the size lharles is trying to build, I really would not suggest using smoothcast for the inside (since that would require a large amount); that method would probably be good if it was a much smaller scale (5in. and under).

Try reading some of the sticky posts in the 'Pepakura and Cardboard Armor' forum, those might help you out a bit.

I probably won't be going the fiberglass route cause' I have many small humans under my care & no effective place to properly deal with the vapors, etc. Once the prototype/first one is done, we'll see if I want to try and get a little more complex...

Thanks for the referral to the other forum - it lent a very quick & obvious solution for part of what I'm going to be dealing with in terms of solidifying some of the bits that will be attached to the 18x18x18 box. Hot glue. Duh. I should have thought of that. I'm not as advanced as most folks on here though. :)

Again, I really do appreciate the response. Thanks very, very much for takin' a little time to help out a noob like me. :)

Lharles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back