Well, It Finally Happened To Me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAN II

Sr Member
After having my used Xbox 360 for about two years (bought it off a close friend of mine at the time), it gave me the cursed RROD recently :(

I hadn't really been playing it much, more or less using it for watching DVDs with my gf when she'd come over. One day late last week, after having played some COD3 on it the night before, I went to put in a DVD when I immediately saw the RROD pop up as soon as I opened the disc drive.

So, I packed it up in the box it had come in, and there's it sat ever since.

I can't say I'm surprised it finally happened, as my 360 was from the first production line, which everyone here knows was fraught with all sorts of hardware issues (hence the recall of those particular units). I'm just kinda bummed out that now I have nothing to play HALO 3 on.

And with my job situation being what it is, I simply can't afford to buy another one. So, that's it for now, I guess :unsure

That stinks man!! I feel your pain. I was in the exact same situation about a year ago. It'll get better.

Oh yeah, I know it will. Just no blowing up Covies for a while :plol

Besides, with how busy I am with other things at the moment (job search, gf, schematics) I wouldn't really have any time to play anything right now anyway. Maybe closer to Christmas I'll pick up a new one for myself; the job situation should be much better by then :cool

I got the rrod before. What a pain in the ass. My rrod was my hdrive. I don't know why I got the rrod for a faulty hdrive but that was my problem. With my hdrive installed, it no workie. With hdrive removed, it workie. I needed a new hdrive so got one. Lost all of my save games though :( .

Try removing the hdrive and see if it works perfectly without it. If it does then your hdrive is gubbed. If it is the 360 then it can probably be repaired using the x-clamp mod. It is a pretty cheap repair that works on most rrod problems. If that doesn't work then you need a new 360 which is a bummer.

Is it still under warranty? (remember microsoft extended the warranty to 3 years) If it is you can either take it back to the shop you bought it from and get a replacement (unlikely but worth a shot), or send it to microsoft and maybe they will repair it or more likely, send you a new one.

i say it to everyone else... so im not going to hold back just because i like ya, Elvis...

yes its tragic you got the RRoD, but posting it here doesnt do any good. If everyone posted about the tragic end to their Xbox's we would have nothing but RRoD threads around here.

i am still voting we have one central thread to post about your RRoD and bitch about it... we need to not clutter these boards up with such worthless threads.

---------------------------------------

it brought me great pain to say that... but i got streak of bitching at people that post about RRoD, and i wasnt goign to end it just because your a good guy.

i hope you got a DVD player tho, so you can still watch some movies with your GF... if you want to score some mad points, go rent the Notebook and shed one tear at the end, you can get crazy mad points for that one. Id let you borrow my copy, but i gotta have that one on hand.

Hey Elvis, it should still be on warranty. I sent mine this morning.

The warranty on RROD is of 3 years. Just call 1-800-4MY-XBOX

That sucks :( I have one of the first ones too. I don't know how long it will last, I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Maybe if your warranty is run out you can try fixing it yourself? I know some mod websites sell a RROD fix kit.

MINZEZ said:
I got the rrod before. What a pain in the ass. My rrod was my hdrive. I don't know why I got the rrod for a faulty hdrive but that was my problem. With my hdrive installed, it no workie. With hdrive removed, it workie. I needed a new hdrive so got one. Lost all of my save games though :( .

Try removing the hdrive and see if it works perfectly without it. If it does then your hdrive is gubbed. If it is the 360 then it can probably be repaired using the x-clamp mod. It is a pretty cheap repair that works on most rrod problems. If that doesn't work then you need a new 360 which is a bummer.

Is it still under warranty? (remember microsoft extended the warranty to 3 years) If it is you can either take it back to the shop you bought it from and get a replacement (unlikely but worth a shot), or send it to microsoft and maybe they will repair it or more likely, send you a new one.

Unfortunately, as mine was from the first production line, its warranty has now expired (remember, I bought it second-hand from a friend).

DreadMullet said:
i say it to everyone else... so im not going to hold back just because i like ya, Elvis...

yes its tragic you got the RRoD, but posting it here doesnt do any good. If everyone posted about the tragic end to their Xbox's we would have nothing but RRoD threads around here.

i am still voting we have one central thread to post about your RRoD and bitch about it... we need to not clutter these boards up with such worthless threads.

---------------------------------------

it brought me great pain to say that... but i got streak of bitching at people that post about RRoD, and i wasnt goign to end it just because your a good guy.

i hope you got a DVD player tho, so you can still watch some movies with your GF... if you want to score some mad points, go rent the Notebook and shed one tear at the end, you can get crazy mad points for that one. Id let you borrow my copy, but i gotta have that one on hand.

No worries, buddy. No offense taken. I can see your point. As for the DVD player, in fact I actually had one sitting around. I just hadn't hooked it up yet as I was using the 360 for that, lol. Now it is though, so the gf and I can still watch our movies and shows.

Thanks for the suggestion on renting "The Notebook" (I assume it's a romantic film). I'll have to try and find it. Don't really need to "score some mad points" with her (been doing well enough with that on my own), but still... it couldn't hurt, lol.

LastSpartan said:
Hey Elvis, it should still be on warranty. I sent mine this morning.

The warranty on RROD is of 3 years. Just call 1-800-4MY-XBOX

Well, like I mentioned above to MINZEZ, as I got it second-hand from a friend who had it for a while before I got it, the warranty is now expired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xbox 360 is a dx10 system with dx9 backwards compatibility.

Keep in mind this is only my thought.

I swear it forces it to push itself to the max, when playing an old game. I personally think this is because the it has to take a dx9 graphic architecture and then waste spare GPU cycles to convert it to a dx10 architecture causing the graphics card to warp.

Have you tried to plug it back in and try it again, my friend had it happen after we played on of the backwards compatible games. We left it alone for a week then pulled it back out and was able to play it again. We decided Then we would still play a backwards compatible games, and it kept slowing down(frame rate wise) and then crashing. At the time we did not know anything about the graphic card heat problems. So we didn't think much of it and turned the system back on and kept playing it. I think i was playing Mercenaries. After a few times of this it went ROD again and died. It was because it overheated and warped the board thingy, from what we could guess. Luckily he had a warranty and received a new Xbox 360.

I have a few questions and one idea to make it work although it will prolly be last resort due to what might happen to it.

Starting with the questions:

1. What game were you playing?

2. How long were you playing it?

3. Did your Xbox 360 have adequate air flow to keep it cool?

4. If you own cats, did the air intake have hairballs(mine does this all the time)?

5. What do you plan to do with your paperweight/doorstop?

I do not recommend this unless it is your last resort for you magnificent Xbox 360 paperweight/doorstop.

Okay now on to the deadly idea:

Here is a random crazy idea i had while writing this short novel.

1. Start up the system.

2. Take out any game,DVD, or CD.

3. Turn your system upside down.

4. Here comes the mean part to your system, put some books or paper in the way of the exit fan, do not cover it fully (it will cause the fans to overwork and burn them out).

5. Maybe even place a heating pad on it. Try to get it nice and toasty.

6. Let gravity do its handiwork, hopefully it will be pulled down to its original position.

Note: Do not start it back up until it has sufficiently cooled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back