Weta Marine Scratch Build Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boba Fett said:
yeah, but clay is reusable... and WHAT? Van Aken clay is NOT $8.00 a pound, it's around 3-4 USD a pound. I did have a question though, how are you smoothing your clay? Scrapers, or what solvent are you using? Sorry if you've posted it, I just havn;t seen it.

I know the clay is reusable. I plan to use the clay to sculpt an ODST, followed by a Spartan III, and then possibly Iron Man Mk. III armour after the marine. But the Marine is a long ways from being finished, so I will stick with it for now.

Van Aken clay is $8.00 per pound here in Canada. We do have higher taxes and whatnot here, so the clay should be more expensive. Not to mention the place I buy my clay from (Michael’s) marks their prices up BIG TIME. They also get their clay from the USA. Therefore added shipping charges, mark-up and duty would add to the initial $4.00-ish USD to make the clay $8.00 here.

As for smoothing the clay, I haven't smoothed it yet. I am just using metal scrapers and scraping the surface lightly in different directions to achieve the shape. I will soon lightly drag a stainless steel, flexible kidney plate over the surface to smooth the clay. I will then apply a thin coat of primer to the clay, let it dry, and then smooth the clay out even more. My method is the same method Privateer uses to make his clay glass smooth. I hope to achieve the same effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey extreme great job love the way this is going cant wait to see this thang finished... really i cant wait hurry up! jk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back