What Do I Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan105

i dont know what i should do. i peped the spartan chest, but how would i resin it from the inside out or do it the other way around.

I would resin the outside first, because you'd have to be a little more rough with it when doing the inside. But I don't think it really matters.

I'd agree with LoM. Resin the outside first, let that harden and then resin/fiberglass the inside. It'll probably be easier that way. And be sure to view the treads Viper linked to in his post. Also very helpful.

SPARTAN II said:
I'd agree with LoM. Resin the outside first, let that harden and then resin/fiberglass the inside. It'll probably be easier that way. And be sure to view the treads Viper linked to in his post. Also very helpful.

It could be argued tho that resin and fibreglass on the inside should be done first as pure resin on the outside is much more liable to warp and collapse parts under its own weight whereas fibreglassing the inside first would provide much better structure imo. Also if you resin the outside first you increase the likelihood that you will have air bubble trapped under the fibreglass which ya definetely dont want.

Last edited by a moderator:
whiterabbit1985 said:
It could be argued tho that resin and fibreglass on the inside should be done first as pure resin on the outside is much more liable to warp and collapse parts under its own weight whereas fibreglassing the inside first would provide much better structure imo. Also if you resin the outside first you increase the likelihood that you will have air bubble trapped under the fibreglass which ya definetely dont want.

I resin 2x on the exterior... then slush cast Alumilite Regular on the inside... by passes the FG step and works great!

Whiterabbit has a point... Here's a link showing you how it's done with fiberglassing the inside first.

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10821

It's a good tutorial (thanks crackhead)!
But either way works fine... you just have to figure out which way will work best for you. Just remember that if you resin the outside first, make sure you have supports on your pep file, otherwise it can warp really bad.

pooper said:
Whiterabbit has a point... Here's a link showing you how it's done with fiberglassing the inside first.

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10821

It's a good tutorial (thanks crackhead)!
But either way works fine... you just have to figure out which way will work best for you. Just remember that if you resin the outside first, make sure you have supports on your pep file, otherwise it can warp really bad.

(y)

powerserg said:
do i fiber glass the outside or just resin it?

Read the stickies, and more topics about this. So many people posted answer for this already.

What you do it Resin the outside with a small layer, w/ a foam brush. Then onece that cured, you have a "okay" hard structure. But good enough for support. then you precut your fiberglass cloth and then pour so resin, you can either dip or brush the resin on it. Then lay it in the middle of the piece and work your way around. Long strips for the not so detailed parts, and Short strips for the detial parts.

After that you can add one more layer of resin on the outside. Let it dry, then bondo areas you want smooth, or details, use a putty knife. After that, you may notice some cavity's, fill them up with spot putty. You can buy all of these equipment at Home depot or Lowes, or a auto shop. Or walmart. So then you prime and paint however ou want.

Maybe this will help in future refrences.

Resin, If you fibergalss the outside you lose a lot of detail and shape. Plus that would mean you would have to use alot more Bondo than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back