What foam is best for helmet padding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegacyAlloy227

I have a pair of ODST helmets, but they are not wearable because they have no padding. I tried using very thick and coarse packaging foam (The kind that holds computer parts in place while in the box). That was a failure because they were too stiff, difficult to cut cleanly, and uncomfortable. What do you guys use in your helmets?

If it's big enough, the insides of an old motorcycle helmet cut down a bit work great. For smaller helmets, I've found making a head form out of foam that fits around your head works pretty good, you could add some thin upholstery foam if there are too many pressure spots. It's pretty important that it fits around your head well though, so I made a pattern of mine with some tape (not recommended, can be quite annoying).

I have found that tactical helmet padding works the best for me. There are several kits for less than $40 on Amazon. Pretty modular and gives you a lot of options. You can do single or double padding layers and it uses velcro style fastening so it can be easily moved/removed/replaced. The attached picture is the inside of my First Order Stormtrooper helmet but I'll be using the same kit (also pictured) for my ODST helmet.

Attachments

• 20201201_202304~2.jpg
    20201201_202304~2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,032
  • 20201201_202650.jpg
    20201201_202650.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 519
I'm planning on using Airsoft padding for my bucket as well or something of the like. Upholstery foam works great but I'll never get it to look as nice and be as comfortable as manufactured padding.

Helmet.JPG

Here is an interior shot of my bucket.

The secret to working with the upholstery foam for me was making sure to cut the fabric as if I was wrapping a Christmas present and hot glue the fabric onto the foam before attempting to put it into the helmet.

I have found that tactical helmet padding works the best for me. There are several kits for less than $40 on Amazon. Pretty modular and gives you a lot of options. You can do single or double padding layers and it uses velcro style fastening so it can be easily moved/removed/replaced. The attached picture is the inside of my First Order Stormtrooper helmet but I'll be using the same kit (also pictured) for my ODST helmet.
Yeah I went the same route, mainly because I still had mine back when I was enlisted lol

Yeah I went the same route, mainly because I still had mine back when I was enlisted lol
I hear ya man. I got the newer stuff for the "operator" style helmets. I hate our generic padding. BUT we don't get the best helmets in the Air Force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back