What Happens When You Use Non-Nsp

Status
Not open for further replies.
all of this is a learning experience for me and am bound to make mistakes. what happens when you use non-nsp clay and the silicone? does the silicone not cure fully? the reason i ask is because i used a small package of rosert moeling clay from walmart to cover a pep file. when the cure time was over, the block of silicon was fine, howver the clay was greasy and the layer of silicone it touched was tacky like a really sticky booger lol. now before you say "youre an idiot for using tht clay"....well first it started as an experiment to see if it could be used with this stuff and second was impatient for my "real clay" to come in (apparently it was bckordered...which i did not know til after i ordered it)

EDIT: forgot to add that i wasnt sure if that modelig clay was non-nsp, but this prolly answers that question that it is ha

Any type of clay will work, as long as its sulfur free. You don't have to use the chavant nsp brand (thats stuff can be expensive...) if thats what you were asking.

Bleah, Van Akin gives me a headache. It smells bad and leaves more residue on your hands than a more expensive clay like Chavant. If you have the $, I'd spend a little more and get a higher quality clay. After working with it for several hundred hours, you'll be glad you did.

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten"

Yodajammies said:
Bleah, Van Akin gives me a headache. It smells bad and leaves more residue on your hands than a more expensive clay like Chavant. If you have the $, I'd spend a little more and get a higher quality clay. After working with it for several hundred hours, you'll be glad you did.

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten"

Also can agree with this... although it's awful handy in a pinch to be able to run down to a hobby store and buy something that works.

Last edited by a moderator:
p0rtalman said:
Any type of clay will work, as long as its sulfur free. You don't have to use the chavant nsp brand (thats stuff can be expensive...) if thats what you were asking.

no, that wasn't really what I was getting at. I was just wondering what the effects of using a non-NSP clay with silicone. Reason being that I bought some roseart modeling clay to test out working with clay and what not. When I used it, the silicone was still very tacky and greasy...kind of like a booger. So I was just wondering if that's what happens when you use non-NSP, thus verifying that roseart modeling clay is a no-go :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had some silicone react badly to what was allegedly NSP chavant. I sent the clay to smooth on to be tested (to see whether it was the rebound that was messed up) and they told me it was not a sulphur free clay. It reacted exactly as you described...a thin layer of the silicone next to the clay simply did not cure past a very sticky, tacky stage, and has not cured since being removed from the clay. Now I need to call Chavant and ask them why the hell a clay that was supposed to be NSP is apparently full of sulphur.

This is something that I learned the hard way. Spent 10 bucks on clay not knowing how badly sulfur reacts with rubber. Ruined the simple mold I made. Lucky for me it wasn't that important.

I switched to NSP and now I don't have any problems. Use that sulfur clay on something else, then clean EVERYTHING that touched it so you don't transfer any sulfur to your new clay and tools, otherwise you can have the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back