1. 581-Erudite Watch
    Greetings Guest! I am the NEW guide of the 405th Infantry Division. I am 581. Surely, you are asking yourself, who is this fascinating entity and what is he about? Fear not! The staff of this great community has cleverly created a comic to share my backstory with you. Click HERE to learn more!

    Dismiss Notice

What kind of PPE do I need?

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by mumgoot, Jul 13, 2018 at 6:27 PM.

  1. mumgoot

    mumgoot Jr Member

    So I was looking at Sean Bradley's complete safety guide thread, and I was wondering if I need to go out and buy a respirator or if I'm good just being careful.

    Obviously, that statement right there implies that I need to go out and buy safety equipment, but here's the thing: Right now I'm not doing bondo or fiberglass or other nasty stuff.

    The main things I'm working with are two-part modelling putty/filler, (not sure if contains epoxy or not) Squadron-brand white filler putty, traditional modelling cement, and cutting and sanding plastic as well as the above mentioned materials. I also use traditional spray paint but I always paint outside.

    I know for sure that the model cement contains toluene, and the white putty probably does

    I don't mind spending the money to protect myself, I just want to know if I need to.

    Here are a few cruddy pictures of the materials I use:

  2. PaiganBoi


    Just being careful isn't enough. If anything you should have at least eye protection like safety glasses and a dust mask for the sanding. Maybe even gloves if you don't want to get epoxy on your hands.
    Definitely invest in a respirator and cartridges if you are working with resin.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 9:33 PM
    mumgoot and Sean Anwalt like this.
  3. Sean Anwalt

    Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

    Get a respirator. You will use it for more than this project. Get a respirator.

    Also, you'll need a respirator.

    AND be careful.

    P.S. get a respirator. It's worth saving up for if you have to.
    mumgoot likes this.
  4. mumgoot

    mumgoot Jr Member

    Yeah, I definitely want to get gloves. I think all I need right now is a dust mask, but I think a respirator would make the most sense in the long run. Plus some safety glasses that fit over my glasses. I take it they don't need to be full-seal goggles, just impact-rated and covering my eyes like a shield? Thanks for advice.
  5. mumgoot

    mumgoot Jr Member

    :D Point taken. Thanks for the help, and I'll try to get on that. I'm mostly working on my cardboard build right now, so I won't have to risk it in the meantime.
  6. TurboCharizard

    TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

    Get a respirator, but most importantly, get a comfortable respirator. I pretty much live in mine and trying on three or four was the best thing ever because now I don't have sharp things jabbing into the bridge of my nose for an average of 10 hours a week.

    When I was but a wee babby miniatures builder I used to play with the two part epoxy putty by Tamiya without gloves, I'm not dead yet but for all I know I could have super cancer. Get a box of 100 pairs of nitrile gloves for like $5.
  7. mumgoot

    mumgoot Jr Member

    jeeves eating.gif Super cancer?!? But okay, that is a good point, so I'll make sure I try on the respirators in person. And I definitely want those gloves.
    Lieutenant Jaku likes this.
  8. Sean Anwalt

    Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

    ^ Jeeves and Wooster. Hilarious.

    It sounds funny but I'm serious when I say think of yourself as a HAZMAT technician. Cover every part of your body that could come in contact with the stuff you're working with. Dust masks are great for particulates, but not fumes. That's why you need a respirator. Safety goggles always. Latex or nitrile gloves that fit. If they're too loose they will get in the way and you'll get sloppy results.

    Your cardboard build is a great way to dip your toe in the water. I used to do cardboard a lot back in the day. You know what, maybe I'll start an MA5 out of cardboard again. And THIS time I don't let it warp on me.

    Anyway, what I was going to say is pay attention to the corrugation inside the cardboard. Whenever possible, double layer the cardboard so the corrugation is at right angles between layers. This will help make the piece naturally stronger and help reduce warpage.

    Also, putting hot glue around the edges into that corrugation when you're done will help as well.

    This post brought to you today by the word: corrugation. Which my phone cannot spell. Or store in its memory apparently. Stupid phone...
    mumgoot likes this.
  9. mumgoot

    mumgoot Jr Member

    Ha ha, thanks! It was the perfect reaction:D

    Okay, those are terms I can understand.

    Thanks for the tip, that is a good point and reminds me of building walls from legos. If the bricks overlap, it will be stronger.

    Thanks again, I really appreciate the advice.

Share This Page