What kind of PPE do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumgoot

So I was looking at Sean Bradley's complete safety guide thread, and I was wondering if I need to go out and buy a respirator or if I'm good just being careful.

Obviously, that statement right there implies that I need to go out and buy safety equipment, but here's the thing: Right now I'm not doing bondo or fiberglass or other nasty stuff.

The main things I'm working with are two-part modelling putty/filler, (not sure if contains epoxy or not) Squadron-brand white filler putty, traditional modelling cement, and cutting and sanding plastic as well as the above mentioned materials. I also use traditional spray paint but I always paint outside.

I know for sure that the model cement contains toluene, and the white putty probably does

I don't mind spending the money to protect myself, I just want to know if I need to.

Here are a few cruddy pictures of the materials I use:

Just being careful isn't enough. If anything you should have at least eye protection like safety glasses and a dust mask for the sanding. Maybe even gloves if you don't want to get epoxy on your hands.
Definitely invest in a respirator and cartridges if you are working with resin.

Last edited:
Get a respirator. You will use it for more than this project. Get a respirator.

Also, you'll need a respirator.

AND be careful.

P.S. get a respirator. It's worth saving up for if you have to.

Just being careful isn't enough. If anything you should have at least eye protection like safety glasses and a dust mask for the sanding. Maybe even gloves if you don't want to get epoxy on your hands.
Definitely invest in a respirator and cartridges if you are working with resin.

Yeah, I definitely want to get gloves. I think all I need right now is a dust mask, but I think a respirator would make the most sense in the long run. Plus some safety glasses that fit over my glasses. I take it they don't need to be full-seal goggles, just impact-rated and covering my eyes like a shield? Thanks for advice.

Get a respirator. You will use it for more than this project. Get a respirator.

Also, you'll need a respirator.

AND be careful.

P.S. get a respirator. It's worth saving up for if you have to.

:D Point taken. Thanks for the help, and I'll try to get on that. I'm mostly working on my cardboard build right now, so I won't have to risk it in the meantime.

Get a respirator, but most importantly, get a comfortable respirator. I pretty much live in mine and trying on three or four was the best thing ever because now I don't have sharp things jabbing into the bridge of my nose for an average of 10 hours a week.

When I was but a wee babby miniatures builder I used to play with the two part epoxy putty by Tamiya without gloves, I'm not dead yet but for all I know I could have super cancer. Get a box of 100 pairs of nitrile gloves for like $5.

Get a respirator, but most importantly, get a comfortable respirator. I pretty much live in mine and trying on three or four was the best thing ever because now I don't have sharp things jabbing into the bridge of my nose for an average of 10 hours a week.

When I was but a wee babby miniatures builder I used to play with the two part epoxy putty by Tamiya without gloves, I'm not dead yet but for all I know I could have super cancer. Get a box of 100 pairs of nitrile gloves for like $5.
jeeves eating.gif
Super cancer?!? But okay, that is a good point, so I'll make sure I try on the respirators in person. And I definitely want those gloves.

^ Jeeves and Wooster. Hilarious.

It sounds funny but I'm serious when I say think of yourself as a HAZMAT technician. Cover every part of your body that could come in contact with the stuff you're working with. Dust masks are great for particulates, but not fumes. That's why you need a respirator. Safety goggles always. Latex or nitrile gloves that fit. If they're too loose they will get in the way and you'll get sloppy results.

Your cardboard build is a great way to dip your toe in the water. I used to do cardboard a lot back in the day. You know what, maybe I'll start an MA5 out of cardboard again. And THIS time I don't let it warp on me.

Anyway, what I was going to say is pay attention to the corrugation inside the cardboard. Whenever possible, double layer the cardboard so the corrugation is at right angles between layers. This will help make the piece naturally stronger and help reduce warpage.

Also, putting hot glue around the edges into that corrugation when you're done will help as well.

This post brought to you today by the word: corrugation. Which my phone cannot spell. Or store in its memory apparently. Stupid phone...

^ Jeeves and Wooster. Hilarious.

It sounds funny but I'm serious when I say think of yourself as a HAZMAT technician. Cover every part of your body that could come in contact with the stuff you're working with. Dust masks are great for particulates, but not fumes. That's why you need a respirator. Safety goggles always. Latex or nitrile gloves that fit. If they're too loose they will get in the way and you'll get sloppy results.

Your cardboard build is a great way to dip your toe in the water. I used to do cardboard a lot back in the day. You know what, maybe I'll start an MA5 out of cardboard again. And THIS time I don't let it warp on me.

Anyway, what I was going to say is pay attention to the corrugation inside the cardboard. Whenever possible, double layer the cardboard so the corrugation is at right angles between layers. This will help make the piece naturally stronger and help reduce warpage.

Also, putting hot glue around the edges into that corrugation when you're done will help as well.

This post brought to you today by the word: corrugation. Which my phone cannot spell. Or store in its memory apparently. Stupid phone...

Ha ha, thanks! It was the perfect reaction:D

Okay, those are terms I can understand.

Thanks for the tip, that is a good point and reminds me of building walls from legos. If the bricks overlap, it will be stronger.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the advice.

Definitely with handling any chemical look up the safety data sheet so simple precautions to handling it. When it come to cutting and grinding absolutely get a respirator and make sure it properly seals. The cartridges should be rated to filter out fine particulates, there actually is a rating and OSHA has minimum requirements. I can say this because of our composites lab and blade shop has air quality requirements. It is bad enough you can enter without respirator and eye pro. And by eye pro get ANSI rated safety glasses a wheel bursting or a piece of chipped off epoxy will be like a tiny bullet headed toward your eye.

Read the SDS to some of the stuff around you and you will realize most of this craps kills slowly and painfully.

Make sure gloves are industrial grade and solvent resistant certain grades of material cannot handle chemical exposure and react in different ways, I've had gloves dissolve from my hand because my company bought el cheapos to use as PPE for some chemicals.

Thanks for the help everybody! I got a respirator, goggles, and a pack of nitrile gloves! Just one more question: Is there any work where I should have "hermetically sealed" goggles so that chemicals are not absorbed by my eyes through the air? My goggles are the full type, but they have venting on the sides. I assume this is fine, but just double checking.

You should be fine. In the end, you are the one who knows what chemicals you're using, so dress appropriately, but for everything I've read that you've purchased, you should be fine. Just don't confuse contact cement with eye drops!

You should be fine. In the end, you are the one who knows what chemicals you're using, so dress appropriately, but for everything I've read that you've purchased, you should be fine. Just don't confuse contact cement with eye drops!
Cool. Thanks again.:lol:

Those goggles are fine, unless you have your face practically in the mix. Which would mean you failed High School chemistry magnificently. Also stay up wind of any air circulation

I saw the question in the title, and the sarcastic (yet serious in this case) side of me wanted to reply with just: Yes.

In all seriousness though, I have to second what Sean said. Nitrile gloves, goggles, and a respirator are super important. Together, all of that will help protect you from the fumes and other related health problems that relate to breathing in fine particulates.

For the record, breathing in fine fiberglass is not good. Silica and glass in general is known to do horrible, horrible things to people's lungs, and you need to be extremely careful and wearing PPE when working with any fiberglass.

Good ventilation is also a must, because respirators can get overwhelmed if there are too many organics or fumes in the air. Keeping a constant circulation of air around your workstation while working on this sort of stuff will be the best for you.

Hopefully, that helps some! :)

I'll say it here as well a quick google search for TM1-1500-204-13-11 will give you the manual a volume for Army aviation composite shop procedures it can dial you in very in depth to PPE, air, and building requirements, as well as practice to maximize composite component strength.

I'm always so glad when people ask these questions. The unfortunate part about exposing ourselves to these materials in small amounts at a time over our lifetime if it's enough to cause a bad thing and whether or not that bad thing happened about the 10th exposure or the 200th. It's SO easy to say to yourself I'm just going to do this quick and not put on the right stuff but it's just as easy for a bad thing to happen. I like to leave all of my PPE out and easy to get at so I see it and remember. I wear glasses for seeing close up (stupid getting old) so I've played around with what works best for eye protection. I kinda like the face shield most time to keep things from fogging up. It sort of defeats the purpose of protecting your eyes if you end up cutting off part of a finger because everything fogged up. I also like that I can have the shield and the respirator on at the same time - it's a great look, honest! All the popular people are wearing it!

Anyway, my point is that you need to make it easy for yourself and comfortable or your brain is constantly going to fight against.

I'm always so glad when people ask these questions. The unfortunate part about exposing ourselves to these materials in small amounts at a time over our lifetime if it's enough to cause a bad thing and whether or not that bad thing happened about the 10th exposure or the 200th. It's SO easy to say to yourself I'm just going to do this quick and not put on the right stuff but it's just as easy for a bad thing to happen. I like to leave all of my PPE out and easy to get at so I see it and remember. I wear glasses for seeing close up (stupid getting old) so I've played around with what works best for eye protection. I kinda like the face shield most time to keep things from fogging up. It sort of defeats the purpose of protecting your eyes if you end up cutting off part of a finger because everything fogged up. I also like that I can have the shield and the respirator on at the same time - it's a great look, honest! All the popular people are wearing it!

Anyway, my point is that you need to make it easy for yourself and comfortable or your brain is constantly going to fight against.

Yeah, I should have picked a visor up while I was at it. The goggles work well enough, but will fog up sometimes.

That's... extensive:D Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back