Where Did I Mess Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oimhead

Hi guys, I am really new. I literally found the costume wiki on sunday (10/26). That very same day, I downloaded pepakura, bought cardstock, a glue gun and began assembling. I am totally new to this stuff, but I promise you I have heavily researched the forums, FAQs, and stickies before posting this topic.

Since Sunday, I have been following directions according to the Pep. tutorial which features the files from JediFraz (I believe?). I finished the chest armor / backpack, both biceps, and the left forearm.

I am including pictures below. My main camera is out of battery, so I used my iphone, and the quality isn't amazing. I guess I'm a little confuzzled with what happened. It seems that all the arm pieces are way too large. I did the scaling correctly (I am 5'9'', so I did 69 / 86 x 30.xxx - even If I reduce the scaling, it seems like the biceps are way too large. I mean, I have incredibly limited mobility in the arms. So I'm wondering if everyone had this problem starting out? I wish I had used the Mark VI bicep design that I saw in the Pep database, but I didn't know the difference between all the different types of armors. It seems like the bicep design most of you guys are using allows for much better range of motion. The one I am using seems ridiculously huge. Any suggestions / comments??

Also, it would be great if you could tell me if the relative size (relative to my body size/type) of the chest plate/back pack looks alright. To my untrained eye, it seems fine (I'd really love not to have to re-do the chest pep) - but again my eye is untrained.

Thanks! (I also humbly apologize if I have overlooked a really obvious error on my part - but I've done my best to make sure this isn't the case!!)

Relative size of chest vs left bicep
005.jpg

Relative size of chest to my body
008.jpg

Left forearm, bicep and chest (arms are freakin huge!!??)
013.jpg

A shot of the left bicep alone
006.jpg

Lastly - last year's halloween costume ( I am wearing the sunglasses). This should be reason enough for you to see why I want a good costume for next time XD
n650662432_417648_2510.jpg

The torso looks pretty good. The bicep and forearm are too big. Scale them down some (probably about 3-5 cm) and you should be fine. Don't forget - the Q&A Team can help you out as well.

tlither said:
The torso looks pretty good. The bicep and forearm are too big. Scale them down some (probably about 3-5 cm) and you should be fine. Don't forget - the Q&A Team can help you out as well.

Thanks. I hate for these arm pieces to go to waste =/ I even padded the inside with some foam. Anyone want em :D
Just kidding...too lazy to ship...

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL

Welcome to the 405th! Your pep pieces look very nice, I really like the sizing of the torso ^^ spot on. The bicep looks alittle on the big side... kinda like you have a pillow duct taped to your arm, but the forearm looks great!

Again welcome and if you have any problems give the Q&A Team a jingle :]

food said:
Lastly - last year's halloween costume ( I am wearing the sunglasses). This should be reason enough for you to see why I want a good costume for next time XD
n650662432_417648_2510.jpg

Uhh, considering the pretty lady next to you, I'd say the costume was a success.
I hope wearing a spartan armor won't diminish your chances of getting another picture like that ;)

CPU64 said:
Uhh, considering the pretty lady next to you, I'd say the costume was a success.
I hope wearing a spartan armor won't diminish your chances of getting another picture like that ;)
CPU, on topic as always :lol:

-FSS

the chest looks amazing considering thats your kinda new at this! :D but you biceps look really big on you unless your arms are huge! Oh and welcome to the 405th!

Wow dude, you're almost like my twin, I swear you have all the problems I had when I started out! Anyway to help you out, the chest scale looks perfect, the biceps and forearms like Tlither said are just a tad too big, I would also recommend bringing down the scale by about 2-4cm depending how much you want to cut off of the forearm to make your wrist fit through. But overall it's a very good start! And don't forget about the pep database just in case you decide to do HD peices at a later date. Best of luck!

Hey guys, thanks for your warm welcome and responses.

I was going hardcore on this armor for the past couple days because I was bored of my usual routine of playing counter-strike / starcraft after work / school. This is my last year at the University of Florida and I want to have a personal project to work on before starting medical school next year. So I'm hoping I can finish a full set of armor before July of 2009!

For the time-being I have decided to practice resin / fiberglass on the finished pep pieces I have. Like I said, I have 0 experience in this art, but am eager to learn. I have seen some of the work many of you have done and am pretty impressed. I'm also a chemist by trade, and therefore have an unhealthy attraction to various industry chemicals and their uses :D (currently armor making).

Also, should I start a new WIP thread, or can I simply keep using this one? I'd like to keep posting pics of my progress so that I can get some input... I don't personally know anybody who knows about costume / armor building, or any crafts in general.

Oh, and CPU, the funny thing is that she used to attend many of our halo parties back in High School. Maybe a complete set of halo armor will make her profess her love to me immediately. Just kidding - I'm not doing it for the girls. I'm doing it so I can look bad-ass at any video-game related event. That and I'm bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back