Where did you start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampus

I looked back for previous posts and did not see one that suited my question.

I'm new to posting on the site, but have been browsing it for quite some time now.

I'd like to know how everyone got their starts in making suits? Did you start with the print out armor? Can that be molded in any way? I see some people did plastic wrap/masking tape models of themselves and then went from there. How well does that work for first timers? I'd like to know wheres the best place to start with these suits?

I see alot of people looking to buy suits on here. While I could muster the money to buy a nice suit, I'd rather develop a hobby for the winter, and build my own suit, I'd have more satisfaction in it. Even though I could never touch some of the suits I've seen on here. I appreciate any help any one can offer and look forward to browsing and hopefully getting to know this community!

Thanks again.

I made modifed pepakura models and molded weapons until I felt I was ready to take my unfinished parts I had collected from different places and make them into a suit I would truly be proud of.

If you go with a purely molded suit (clay etc), it is unlikely you will be able to complete it in only a few months.

Pepakura can be molded. And modifying and detailing the completed models gives you the basic experience with a lot of the suit-making process (helm accessories, visor, strapping, sanding, bondo, fiberglass, etc.)

Sigma-LS said:
I made modifed pepakura models and molded weapons until I felt I was ready to take my unfinished parts I had collected from different places and make them into a suit I would truly be proud of.

If you go with a purely molded suit (clay etc), it is unlikely you will be able to complete it in only a few months.

Pepakura can be molded. And modifying and detailing the completed models gives you the basic experience with a lot of the suit-making process (helm accessories, visor, strapping, sanding, bondo, fiberglass, etc.)

Ah ok. Well since I've never really tryed sculpting anything, I shouldn't do a full sculpt suit. So I should buy various pieces of suits and make molds and modify from there?

I'll do some pepakura too, but I saw a sweet looking helm on ebay today, I think it would ruin it to mold it. But it could use some more detail IMO.

When you buy broken/unfinished pieces what do you do with them? Mold and fix the mold, fix and then mold, or what?

Thanks for all the help so far!

EDIT: Any other places besides the classifieds and ebay that I could find unfinished parts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm more of a fix and then mold kind of guy but we've got to be good peeps too.

Like if you buy scratchbuilt stuff, you should never recast it even if it's pretty beat up. (I've found that a little on the fly pepakura work and bondo can do wonders in that department.)

For raw casts and unfinished pieces you could try PMing some of the folks who have made nice suits. Adam, Link, Sean, Sid (NightmareArmorStudios), Ben Strepper. They may have some stuff they'de be willing to let go of.

However, even though all of those armor makers are making the same armor they can be in very different styles. Adams and NAS and Blue realms are similar but might not look so good with parts from Ben or Link. Im not saying Ben and Links are bad at all im just saying they are styled different.

Ah, Ok. I'm starting to understand now. When you "Fix" a piece, do you use clay to mold on stuff, pepakura, or something else?

Thanks for all the quick pointers and helpful insight. I truly do appreciate it!

Quick question before I go out tomorrow. I see I need "cardstock" How much is needed to do say.. The Upper half of the body including the helmet?

Which is going to be the best to work with while gluing?? Superglue, hot glue, or school glue/rubber cement?

I may just get a feel for the pepakura and buy a piece or two to try to work some detail of my own into.

I would buy 3 reams of cardstock (350 pages/ $15) to give you a little room for error as you will probably make a couple of pieces more than once. 2 reams minimum.

Low temperature hot glue is preferred. Check out the Ultimate pepakura FAQ in the Pepakura Forum too before you head out. It may have some other info you'de find useful.

EDIT: You can make a mold out of almost anything but with pepakura I prefer to not use clay to detail (bondo instead) so I can still wear the piece if I decide not to sink the cash into molding it further down the road

Sigma-LS said:
I would buy 3 reams of cardstock (350 pages/ $15) to give you a little room for error as you will probably make a couple of pieces more than once. 2 reams minimum.

Low temperature hot glue is preferred. Check out the Ultimate pepakura FAQ in the Pepakura Forum too before you head out. It may have some other info you'de find useful.
EDIT: You can make a mold out of almost anything but with pepakura I prefer to not use clay to detail (bondo instead) so I can still wear the piece if I decide not to sink the cash into molding it further down the road

Good idea, I'll look over the FAQ again before I go out. Thanks for all the pointers. I really do appreciate it! Are the models for the H3 chief up yet?

The pep is good and all but if you notice some poeple have paid over like $1300 on their full Pep suit and its still only Decent. You could by raw armor and finish for that price and it would looks AWESOME to the extreme! I'd go molded over pep any day. Just better quality.

Andrew L said:
The pep is good and all but if you notice some poeple have paid over like $1300 on their full Pep suit and its still only Decent. You could by raw armor and finish for that price and it would looks AWESOME to the extreme! I'd go molded over pep any day. Just better quality.

Ive only spent about $300 and I'm almost done... With another hundred I could make it look awesome... but since I'm just trying to get it done by the Halo 3 Release I'm not going to be doing to much details...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back