Where do I start?

Redhood

Hey! I'm new and want to start doing halo cosplay but as the title implies, I have no idea where to start, so, I need to know what things I should either know or have. Something I know is not of the cosplays here are made by 3d printer, I don't have much cash laying around so I would like to know what 3d printer is best for halo cosplay but still not too pricy. If you also know any good providers for props then please tell me. If you have any tips for me then feel free to mention them :)

Hey! I'm new and want to start doing halo cosplay but as the title implies, I have no idea where to start, so, I need to know what things I should either know or have. Something I know is not of the cosplays here are made by 3d printer, I don't have much cash laying around so I would like to know what 3d printer is best for halo cosplay but still not too pricy. If you also know any good providers for props then please tell me. If you have any tips for me then feel free to mention them :)
Welcome to the 405th!

I always recommend starting Halo cosplay by doing an EVA foam build. This method of cosplay making is by far a more cost conservative way of starting out and it teaches how to do most of the basics without having to put a ton of money into a 3D printer, a computer that can run slicing and modeling software, as well as several kilograms of filament to just print a suit not including all the materials if you want to finish it properly.

A full EVA build can run anywhere from 100-200$ USD which is a far cry from the roughly 750 to 1200$ USD a fully printed suit will cost if you include the price of an entry level printer.

With that said as far as entry level 3D printers go I will always recommend a basic Ender 3 Pro. If you get one like this I highly recommend printing with it for a few months before you even begin to think about putting upgrades into it. The more bells and whistles a printer has the more parts there are to troubleshoot when something isn't working.

If you want a little bit of a practice run at finishing 3D printed props I know a few of the 405th members have inexpensive (compared to large props) preprinted kits for some props available on their Etsy shops and I have a video walkthrough of finishing one of those props if you'd like to take a look at some of the things you can do to make really well done 3D printed props!

Again welcome to the 405th! If you have any questions feel free to let me know and I'll try to help you out in anyway I can!

Hello! Welcome! I agree with Delta, if 3d printing isnt an option then EVA foam is also a great way to make armor! Also I tip I have when I first started off making costumes, is to start small! I started with garage foam mats to make a Star wars helmet with the help from templates. Glad you found us!

Oh my gosh. Thank you for asking this! I'm new as well and all of these threads are overwhelming and I too didn't know where to start. I have a small 3D printer that I'm learning how to use. I 100% bought it so I could learn how to make the S7. I see Delta suggests EVA for starting out. My question is: if I 3D print builds, how much heavier are those rather than the foam?

Oh my gosh. Thank you for asking this! I'm new as well and all of these threads are overwhelming and I too didn't know where to start. I have a small 3D printer that I'm learning how to use. I 100% bought it so I could learn how to make the S7. I see Delta suggests EVA for starting out. My question is: if I 3D print builds, how much heavier are those rather than the foam?
In my experience the weight isn't really a huge difference. I've done printed, foam, and hybrid suits and hybrid are by far the best. The main issue with 3D printed suits is that they don't really have any flex and if they twist or flex too much they break. Foam is far more forgiving if you don't size it exactly correct, where as even with armorsmith you can have fitment issues. I've also found 3D printed Cosplays to be much harder to fix at conventions. With Foam a little hot glue and your on your way. If your print splits on a print line you'll need to back the split if its fixable and let it cure for a few hours. Also if you don't pad your suit right and the print sits on you directly, you may get some uncomfortable chafing.

As with my previous post these aren't laws to cosplay. Many people start with 3D printed armor and do fine. These are just words of caution, to learn the basics on cheaper materials and simpler processes so your first delve into cosplay doesn't make you dislike the hobby.

This is why I started a YouTube channel to go over some techniques for 3D printed cosplays to try and give the next group of Halo Cosplayers a head start so that there isn't as much failure early on. That's why I love this community so much is that it revolves around helping everyone and helping to make everyone's Halo Cosplay experience better and so much more fun!

As always best of luck with all of your builds!

Last edited:
Thanks, Delta. I've been looking through the foam forums. I'll be check out your youtube channel. I like the idea of a mix of foam and 3D printed. That will give me practice with both!

This thread is more than 11 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back