Wiezel's ODST build

Status
Not open for further replies.
da hat er aber den bauch eingezogen ;DDDD
DONT HIDE THE BEER DAMN IT :D

really nice progress glad that its fitting !

great pep skills, im still working on my helm. are you planning on using multicam as your undersuit?

Thanks man. The undersuit will be black. However since it will be a combat shirt of very similar design I tried the armor on using the multicam variant.

PigBenis
da hat er aber den bauch eingezogen ;DDDD
DONT HIDE THE BEER DAMN IT
really nice progress glad that its fitting !

Heheh vielleicht a bisserl! Thanks! I'm glad it fit too..

Hi guys, I have a few updates. Finished the center piece of the chest assets and the side armor.

0e016b90.jpg

78d973fb.jpg

*EDIT* I decided to edit my last post since I didn't want to triple post. I hope this doesn't offend any mods or admins.

Here is the belt base. It's made from craft foam since I didn't want it to be too thick. This is my first attempt at making anything with foam.

49439fe6.jpg

7bce8c97.jpg

Here it is together with the chest core.

3420e7ca.jpg

and the components for the spine. This is the thicker stuff.

caef8452.jpg

Well looks like it will be a triple post after all. As the saying goes. All good things come in three`s. I finished pepping the chest armor.

c95b4cc5.jpg

Put some of the chest pieces together temporarily

0284f8c8.jpg

Here is the spine. Keep in mind that it is kept in place by a piece of black yarn. It is sitting lower than it usually would.

0942ad7e.jpg

wow great pep! I'm I'm doing my first mark vi chief helmet so i can finally truly appreciate how much work it can be. keep up the good work. :p

Looking good, I didn't think of using craft foam to make the belt base. Nice work!

Thanks GhostDude! I figured I didn't want something too bulky around my abdomen since it would restrict movement. Craft foam seemed like the best choice. I highly recommend it for this particular piece. ;)

wow great pep! I'm I'm doing my first mark vi chief helmet so i can finally truly appreciate how much work it can be. keep up the good work. :p

It is quite the bit of work indeed. Don't ever rush it. I forgot who said this here on the forums, but for a full suit the deadline should be a year from when you start. I agree with it. Mind you some people can build a suit like it's going out of style and still end up with an awesome costume in no time. LOL.

Well I have been working on mine still and have a few updates for you guys.

Shin has been pepped and resined.
ShinFrontResin_zps745e3710.jpg

ShinBackResin_zps339757d6.jpg

Also have the hip plate resined and rondo'ed on the inside.

HipPlateRondoFront_zpsd1aab8cb.jpg

Started to smooth out and sand the helmet as well. Not done yet, but got a couple WIP pics.

HelmetFrontBondo_zps7517c2f0.jpg

HelmetBackBondo_zpsa17cda95.jpg

Hey mate ! :D i love the sanding so far. And for the bondoed back i suggest to take a sharp knife and cut the bondo flat to make ur sanding easier. learned it from Cereal Killer and since i did that it made the sanding work much easier :) but keep it up!

Looking good. I'm about to start my ODST build so reading this whole thread gave me a lot of insight. I appreciate learning from the hard work of the 405th and i hope to be able to contribute more than positive words soon! But seriously, nice pep.

Hey mate ! :D i love the sanding so far. And for the bondoed back i suggest to take a sharp knife and cut the bondo flat to make ur sanding easier. learned it from Cereal Killer and since i did that it made the sanding work much easier :) but keep it up!

Thanks PigBenis! That sounds like a good tip. :) I will give it a whirl when I do my next batch of bondo.

Great looking work.

Looking good. I'm about to start my ODST build so reading this whole thread gave me a lot of insight. I appreciate learning from the hard work of the 405th and i hope to be able to contribute more than positive words soon! But seriously, nice pep.

Thanks for the comments guys!

badhammer, I am glad that my build was able to give you some insight. I gain a little more as each step progresses and the more people comment on my work. :)

I have a little update for you all. I redid the chest core out of foam and will sow a nylon shell for it to make it function as a real tac vest would, but still retain the accurate look. I did a quick mock up of it on my duct tape dummy I have affectionately named "stumpy"

DummyFront_zps3f8695a0.jpg

DummyBack_zps83ac44ba.jpg

as always comments welcome!

Hello 405th! I decided to do something a little different with the center plate and the utility panels. Instead of just having 3 free floating pieces i decided to connect the two utility panels with a base for the center plate to attach to. Here is a pic of it.

Centerplatecarrierandsideplates_zps7e0e8231.jpg

This will be covered in a cordura nylon shell just like the chest core so don't mind jagged edges or glue showing. So basically this will have more of a Weta version look to it with some custom goodness. :p I would like to hear your thoughts on my approach and questions you may have so don't be shy ;)

I also had to modify the chest core file to accommodate the above mentioned idea. One of the mods is the white semi circle looking area in the bottom front to align the chest core and the custom piece so that there aren't gaps between the two.

chestcoreandmisc_zps9cd68024.jpg

The other is the one circled in red. This was necessary to make the chest core and the custom piece fit together nice and flush as well. I kept the two pieces separate instead making it all one piece to facilitate better mobility. The upside down "h" shaped buckle found on the utility plate with be fabricated out of metal. Either aluminum or stainless steel.

chestcoresidemodcircle_zps52ffd0aa.jpg

And here is everything minus the shin, knee and everything I haven't pepped yet. It's the first time I got to see how all the pieces fit together. Any suggestions on possible improvements and other avenues of approach are certainly welcome! :D

mockup_zps4ff9a542.jpg

Looking good man, I like the blend of pep and foam. And the manequin roks ;)
Thank you gliderx64! The mannequin is closest match to my body i could get without going for a full body live cast of myself. lol.

I pepped the gauntlet. It is resined. I will have pictures up when I am done the rondo.

On another note, since I am building a Hell Jumper suit I thought I would share this with all of you. I thought it was pretty cool. He sure is a hell of a lot closer to being one than we are. :p

http://www.space.com/17751-skydiver-supersonic-space-jump-record-plunge.html

I don't know for you but if I had your skills and tallent ... I wold had take the non squared gauntlet piece and opted for the more game acurate rounded one... And since your pep work is so perfect, I think it could be a better moove for your rock-on-so-accurate build, wich is by the way mind blowing ... Anyway it's just my tought ... I know it's already rondoed ... :/ So maybe better continue this path ...

Impressive work sir! Might I ask, when first applying the bondo, did you use a lot? or a little? like a lot is a full solo-cup of body-filler

I don't know for you but if I had your skills and tallent ... I wold had take the non squared gauntlet piece and opted for the more game acurate rounded one... And since your pep work is so perfect, I think it could be a better moove for your rock-on-so-accurate build, wich is by the way mind blowing ... Anyway it's just my tought ... I know it's already rondoed ... :/ So maybe better continue this path ...
Thank you for the high praise VividT E X. :) It's comments like yours that really get me excited about my build. I will eventually get to the game accurate pep models for the gauntlets at some point. The only reason I went with the squared ones is that every time I close my eyes and imagine an ODST, I see the Weta and Legacy versions in my head. Both Weta and Legacy Effects use a squarish gauntlet. Also from what I can tell with the little we get to see of an ODST in the Forward unto Dawn Enlist trailer, it seems that they are using the Legacy effects version as well. If I can muster the commitment I hope to have all the ODST variants pepped at some point. :D then I can mix and match and see what works best. LOL. Which makes me think about the shoulders now. I may just have to pep the Weta variant and see what it looks like on Stumpy.

Impressive work sir! Might I ask, when first applying the bondo, did you use a lot? or a little? like a lot is a full solo-cup of body-filler

Glad I could impress. :) When I bondo'ed the top of my helmet for the first time I used quite a bit. My recommendation, do NOT do this. it's a lot of sanding. Use thin layers of Bondo and mix smaller batches. That way the detail of the model doesn't get lost in a mountain of body filler and then you are left trying to re-sculpt a carefully pepped model which already has the shape you want minus a few imperfections. IMHO sculpting with sandpaper sucks!

As to how much I mix depends on the area I am working on. I don't mix Bondo and hardener in a cup. I do it on a piece of cardboard. I scoop out some with a large plastic spatula add hardener and then mix and apply using a metal spatula. I use Bondo only on larger areas. I use Polyfilla, the stuff used for patching drywall, for the small stuff. Hope that answers your question ViperB77.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back