Will I Get Silicosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haloplayer

Jr Member
I have fiberglassed four times without using a respirator. I was exposed to the fumes for aproxamatly 1 hour. After talking to some people they warned me about silicosis. Is there any way of preventing it or the damage is done. I just got a respirator so there will be no further damage.

See a doctor, get everything checked out. Am sure you are fine, but it couldn't hurt. Although it was only an hour, Fiberglass AND Resin, I don't know... Resin alone ins't as bad. Fiberglass alone isn't realy bad at all (If your not cutting it) but togeather, mehhh... I don't know...

But, Silicosis is caused by toxic particles entering your lungs, and staying there (Almost like Tar when you smoke). Fiberglass may cause that, but only after extencive exposure. Resin on the other hand may burn your lungs. I don't meen burn like burst into flames, but burn as in a few minor burns will start, and they will develope into larger burns, and if not treated, they may kill you. Its like a cavity in your tooth, but a cavity won't kill you (Not usualy).

Silicosis is a cancer related disease cause by occupational exposure of silica dust.

Fiberglass is not the danger... it's the least of your worries when you are fiberglassing stuff with toxic polyester resin. You should be concerned about nervous system (brain) damage, asphyxiation, and cancer related hazards.

Please re-read the Complete Respirator and Safety Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back