William-B312 Noble Six Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, nice on the second helmet. (I like the tacky glue my self) things should go allot easier for you with the new glue and paper. If you have any questions just ask and I sure that allot of people will be there to help you, Myself included.

Just finished the outside resin on the original helmet, new helmet and the handplate. Once it dries I am going to attempt the rondo hardening method for the inside of the test helmet and if I like what happens I will do the new one. By the way the old helmet is the yellowish one if you couldn't already tell by the massive warps.

I am really happy I decided to try and pep another one, it's not perfect but I'm happy with it and I think I will be able to bondo it a lot easier.

One other note I just purchased an iwata airbrush and I have been messing around a little bit with it. I've just got the aerosol set up for now, but I think I am going to order a compressor off of amazon. They seem to have some really nice ones for about a third of the price hobby lobby does.

IMG_20110405_174952.jpg

IMG_20110405_174936.jpg

IMG_20110405_174927.jpg

IMG_20110405_175029.jpg

IMG_20110405_174943.jpg

great job on the second helmet man, it looks way better than the first one
this is how everything will turn out if you are patient and just take your time with it, i didn't take my time and on odst helmet came out terrible =P well keep up the good work and can't wait to see some more progress =D good luck

I coated the inside of both helmets with Rondo today. I'm very glad I still have that first helmet to try stuff on first. With the first batch I didn't add enough hardener and it took longer to harden. This allowed some of the rondo to run off the side of the helmet and onto the top (it was positioned upside down while it dried). The sides were still pretty hard but there was a lot of Rondo piled up when it finally dried.

For the real helmet I put one full coat of rondo on the entire inside and an extra layer around the outside lip of the helmet. It cured like a champ and is very rigid. These three pics are all of the real helmet. One of them shows a little bit of warp on the bottom right that is going to take some extra work with bondo.

This evening I coated the real helmet in a layer of bondo. I'm going to wait until I get it all sanded to post pics of it. Hopefully the first sanding will be done within the next few days. The way it looks right now it might need just one more layer and some detailing then paint will come.

rondo3.jpg

rondo2.jpg

rondo1.jpg

Wow, really nice work man! You're pep skills definitely improved on your second helm. As much as I hate it, I always try to start out with those little detail pieces first. They are a pain, but they really add structure as you found out lol.

Keep up the great work!

I was debating on waiting until I was done with all of the coats of bondo and sanding before I posted any more pictures. I decided what the hell I'll throw the rough ones up too. I should have put bondo on the outside of my bad helmet first and messed with it. I put way too much bondo on the helmet and it's pretty uneven in spots. It's gonna take a lot of sanding and dremel work before it's ready for primer and paint, but I want it to look nice.

mask2.jpg

Yeah, that's definitely gonna take some sanding, but it doesn't look nearly as bad as my first helm lol. As a suggestion, you might try only applying bondo in sections. Like, apply it only on top first, just a thin layer, sand it down and repeat until you are satisfied. Then move on to the back or chin or whatever. That way you can work with smaller amounts of bondo and not be as rushed to apply it. For your first time though, this is looking really good! I didn't bondo my noble six helm when I started it, and now I kinda regret it. So I'm gonna sand it down and bondo it up lol.

do you you mind mr asking, did you use the hot glue method for making your noble 6 helmet?

I think he used hot glue to pep his piece, but he then resined and rondo'd the helmet for hardening it. Not the hot glue method of melting lots of hot glue and coating the inside. If that's the hot glue method you were referring to. Hope that helps!

EDIT: I apologize for the double post, I thought his comment came right after mine and not before. I got the notification late and didn't double check. I'm on my phone so I can't see more than one post at a time. Sorry!

I used hot glue on the first helmet (the yellowish one). Hot glue and I didn't work out too well as your could see. The lines weren't very accurate and it warped. For the second one I used something called tacky glue. There is a picture on this thread on the second page. It worked great. It was sticky enough to hold the pieces together after ten seconds and fully dry after 30 seconds. This gave me a little more time to position the pieces together.

I've been sanding since I posted the picture and it's really starting to look like a helmet instead of a blob. But yes next time I will apply bondo to one section, sand it then move on to the next section. Thank god for dremels is all I have to say.

Sorry for the double post but I have a question and my phone won't let me edit for some reason. Has anyone used bondo glazing and spot putty before? After I finish sanding this coat I would rather not mix up another batch of body filler just to even it out and this stuff comes in small tubes.

Sorry for the double post but I have a question and my phone won't let me edit for some reason. Has anyone used bondo glazing and spot putty before? After I finish sanding this coat I would rather not mix up another batch of body filler just to even it out and this stuff comes in small tubes.

I'm pretty sure the stuff is interchangable. It comes in the small tubes for convenience for the small rough areas. Don't quote me on that though, I'm not positive because I haven't used it myself. But I'm pretty sure the spot putty is normally used for small touch ups. But I don't think its quite as strong as the regular stuff. But that shouldn't affect anything since its only going to be used in the small areas :p lol. Hope that helps :)

So here's a quick update. I tried the new bondo and it seems to work pretty well. At first I was a little peeved that it was red and I used the gold body filler. After I started I realized it made it very easy to tell which spots I had gone over and it will all be covered in primer and paint anyway. Hopefully I can get it sanded and even out the lines by the end of the weekend. I have been looking at face shields a little and have seen multiple posts on where to find them for around $30. Does anyone that has peped a noble six helmet have any suggestions on a specific face shield? Also I realized that I never posted the pep file I used. Thanks Brandon McClain.

Pretty much any motorcycle faceshield will work. In my avatar picture, I've got an entire visor stuffed in my helmet just for the picture lol. It's actually quite a bit bigger than the opening, and wraps around most of the side of the helmet inside. I need to trim it down eventually for a better fit. I've seen visors on ebay and amazon, and I've seen some really cheap ones, and some really overpriced ones. There isn't really a specific visor that will only work for certain helms, they are usually fairly interchangeable. But as long as you find a visor that fits, is the color you want, and you're happy with it, then by all means, you've got a great visor!

Do you just use the dremel or trim the shield down or do you need to score it first to prevent cracking and spiderwebs?

I've just used the dremel in the past, I didn't have too much trouble other than the part I was cutting melted around the dremel cutting blade. That was with an older dremel that had two speeds, off and FAST. I've heard of people putting masking tape over the section they are going to cut (I think) to help reduce that melting problem. And if you can turn down the speed some, I think it will help too.

Not much of an update I just wanted to share some pictures. I am still sanding and will be for the next few days at least. I also need to cut some of the details into the helmet with the dremel. I will try and post a picture of the bucket before too long. I did order the face shield and a compressor for the paint gun today. Here are some pics. Hopefully the shield looks as good in real life as it does in the picture.

faceshield.jpg

compressor.jpg

Well I've been sanding for a while now. I'm still not finished but here are some pictures of my progress. I've got most of the hard lines cut all that's left is the detail. Some of the spot filler hasn't dried all the way and I haven't sanded parts so some might look a little rough. And lastly, my visor I posted earlier has been discontinued so I found another one.

IMG_20110413_210120.jpg

IMG_20110413_210047.jpg

IMG_20110413_210024.jpg

visor.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back