WIP Mjolnir Mk VI Armor (First build!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick update:
I've sanded & heat sealed the thighs and shins - Just testing out some sealant on a scrap piece of foam to see how it works. Couldn't find any Kwik seal at my local store so I'm using an alternative (let's hope it works).
IMG-0313.jpg
I've also built the codpiece, it's scaled properly (I think) but it doesn't fit over my hips so I had to cut the side of it, I'll probably attach velcro or a buckle or something to it.
Other than that, I'm starting on the chest piece now, it's going well but it's difficult to put together, lol.

Attachments

• IMG-0310.jpg
    IMG-0310.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG-0312.jpg
    IMG-0312.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG-0314.jpg
    IMG-0314.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 149
If you can't find Kwik seal.....there are a ton of other name brands and a few generic ones out there.....the best would be a painter's caulk as you will be able to paint right on to it w/o issues.....some of the other ones are water repellent.

Man, I took a long break! Been working on my armor recently though, so here are some progress pics.
I've caulked up the shins and forearms using a generic brand (couldn't get any kwikseal) and sanded them down too. I also discovered that caulk does not sand well..
IMG-0805.jpgIMG-0806.jpgIMG-0807.jpgIMG-0809.jpg
Part way through fixing the seams on the thighs. I hope to get those done in the next few days.
IMG-0801.jpgIMG-0802.jpg
I've finished building the biceps, I had to improvise half the pattern because I found the back of the biceps just a little too difficult :')
The next step for these is to sand them down and fill the seams with caulk.
IMG-0811.jpgIMG-0813.jpgIMG-0812.jpg
And finally, I'm building the chest piece right now. I really hope I've sized it properly this time (last time it was wayy too small, I'm not even sure how I got those measurements, lol.) Haven't got any pics right now, but I'll make sure to update when I do.

I'm trying to finish this before October 30th, but at this rate it's probably not going to happen. School's starting again soon so I'll be busier than ever and won't have a lot of time to work on my armor.

Attachments

• IMG-0804.jpg
    IMG-0804.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG-0810.jpg
    IMG-0810.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
I've been forgetting to update this thread, but here are a bunch of pictures of my build.

In the past week I finished the chest piece and attached velcro under the shoulder parts (I'm not sure what to call them?) and that seems to be working pretty well to keep the back and front attached. I also filled in the seams with caulk and although it looks a little messy now, I hope it'll look better once I paint it.

I just finished spraying plastidip on all of the pieces besides thighs, chest piece, and codpiece. Surprisingly, my first time using spraypaint/plastidip so it was pretty fun lol. I'm currently waiting for the first coat to dry so I can do the next coat, and then hopefully start with the actual colour later today (if you can call grey an actual colour).

I ordered a plastic motorcycle visor for my helmet and it arrived! I'm really happy about that. Then I realized I'm going to actually have to make the helmet.. I made a mockup out of paper using measurements from my head and it turned out way too small, so I'm going to make another quick paper model with the size increased slightly. Let's hope it works out well and I can start on the actual build!
I'm trying to get this done before Halloween so I have roughly 10 days left.. Yeah, not a lot of time. I think I'll get the armour done by then but I doubt I can get the helmet done in time, especially with school and work taking up most of my day.

IMG-0896.jpg
IMG-0897.jpg
gdjasgdfunknown.png
unkgsadfgjnown.png
IMG-0900.jpg

I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far!

Attachments

• IMG-0898.jpg
    IMG-0898.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG-0901.jpg
    IMG-0901.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG-0902.jpg
    IMG-0902.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 102
I'm working on a full set of Mjolnir Mk VI armor for an upcoming expo in August (hopefully it's not cancelled!)
This is my first time working with foam, I've never done prop-making before so I'm a complete newbie.

I've just finished gluing the pieces together for the forearms of my armor! Some of the angles were really tricky but I think I did an okay job.
(Sorry for awful picture quality)
View attachment 288448View attachment 288449
I've also finished the shins, which aren't a lot neater than the forearms, lol (I still have yet to add some details to these)
View attachment 288450
I'm about to start working on the thigh pieces next. I'm using foam mats and hot glue to stick the pieces together.
The only thing I'm not entirely sure about it is what I'm going to use to fill in the seams, but I'll figure that out when I get to it. Any advice is welcome :)
I'm working on a full set of Mjolnir Mk VI armor for an upcoming expo in August (hopefully it's not cancelled!)
This is my first time working with foam, I've never done prop-making before so I'm a complete newbie.

I've just finished gluing the pieces together for the forearms of my armor! Some of the angles were really tricky but I think I did an okay job.
(Sorry for awful picture quality)
View attachment 288448View attachment 288449
I've also finished the shins, which aren't a lot neater than the forearms, lol (I still have yet to add some details to these)
View attachment 288450
I'm about to start working on the thigh pieces next. I'm using foam mats and hot glue to stick the pieces together.
The only thing I'm not entirely sure about it is what I'm going to use to fill in the seams, but I'll figure that out when I get to it. Any advice is welcome :)
Kwik Seal for the seams my guy

Finished weathering most of the pieces! Doesn't look the best, but I tried. Weathering the armour was actually really fun. The silver paint I used was sort of transparent so it doesn't show up very well on camera, but I swear it looks better in person :')
(photo doesn't have biceps or boot pieces because the paint was still drying so I couldn't wear them, I'll get a picture of those later)

legs.PNG
do it to em.PNG

I also started working on the helmet! I really like how it's going so far, I just have a few more pieces to add. Some of the seams are a little messy though, but I'll clean it up a bit later.

IMG-0947.jpg
IMG-0949.jpg

Attachments

• had to do it to em.PNG
    had to do it to em.PNG
    351.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG-0948.jpg
    IMG-0948.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
I've finally finished my build! It still hasn't fully registered in my head that I don't have any more work to do, I've gotten used to using all my spare time to build.
A friend helped me with the photo shoot, so here are some of the photos:
DSC09962.jpg
DSC09963.jpg
DSC09969.jpg

Things I could do better next time I do a build:
- Not to get hot glue on the visor, I installed the visor super messily so I could get it done for Halloween in time lol
- Get stronger velcro/use a different type of attachment method for the shoes and chest piece
- Use more plastidip, I did around one coat on each piece (apart from the inner thighs and on the helmet, which have around 3 coats) and it definitely wasn't enough (although it's pretty expensive here, around NZD$26 at my local Repco)
- I forgot to seal the paint afterwards :/ (I'm not entirely sure if I was meant to, but some of the paint did rub off in some places which annoys me)
- There are probably more things I'm forgetting but I'm sure I'll figure it out

It was so satisfying putting everything on on Halloween after working on my armour for months and months. I think propmaking/cosplay has quickly become one of my favourite hobbies and I'm going to try spend more time (and money) on my next build, now with more experience and motivation. I'm thinking about trying to build the Mk VI Gen 2 multiplayer armour, but it's definitely more complex than the Gen 1 and I don't know if I have the skills to build it well lol. It'll be fun to try, anyway.
Hopefully I'll be going to Armageddon next year, so I'll have to figure out how to get my armour to and from Wellington (I live in the south island).
Hope everyone had a good Halloween :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back