Wood Filler/plastic Wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronCostumer

Hey guys. I was doing some research for my first helmet today, and while at home depot, I ran across wood filler. Seems to me like it could work as a substitute for bondo. It is much cheaper and I would feel much happier knowing my helmet cost less. Does anyone have any experience testing this out on a helmet as an alternative to bondo? Wood filler and Plastic wood seem to be the same thing. I had a hard time finding stuff on the forums with a search, so I decided to start a new thread, in the hopes to get an answer, and help others who might have this same question. And if this will not work, is there something that is the same as the bondo, only from a different brand and cheaper? Thanks for the help, and I hope to contribute to the 405th community.

I am not from America, so I dont know what this kind of Wood filler is, or what it does. But Bondo isnt so expensive is it? Here a pretty big can Bondo is 15 bucks.

How much does this product cost, and do you know the sanding abillites of this filler? A bit of googling might answer this questions.

Welcome to the 405th, and I hope I will see your work soon.

Kind Regards,

/Tahu

Stay away from wood filler... it does not work... Bondo, when you buy it in cans is not really costly... well you can get away with spending about 15$ to bondo your helmet (unless you end up putting more than 1/2 of bondo on every surface)

If your pep is well done and you made a good backing with firberglass, you should not have to put alot of bondo... it's only to smooth out the pep.

I´m afraid I must agree with SteelSpartan, I dont think Woodfiller will work due to several reasons, and Bondo is as said above not as expensive as ruining your helmet trying a cheaper alternative.

All The Best,

/Tahu

Ok thanks guys. To answer your questions, the wood filler I saw was about $8. I just thought it could work. Unfortunately I don't have good access to a pc at the moment so the start of my helmet will have to wait. But if anyone has different opinions please post because I would love more input. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back