Wooden helmet (Beware 56k! BEWARE!) Final pics on 4!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

My wooden helm is coming along nicely. It is almost to the point of assembly, at which point I will put out some photos.

I did have a question though:

For the lense, I can't really spend, well, money on it. I have a gold foil that is somewhat translucent when proper light is on the other side. Would that look good enough or should I go with a structured visor style helm?

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. the gold foil is one of those "emergency blankets" so if you know what does are, let me know what you think.

Pictures by the end of the night, just need to let it set. I can't move it for a few hours and the frame totally makes it impossible to see the helm. it would look like a box if I were to post now. Expect by 1 or 2 AM EST.

Chris

OKAY!!!

I am not unhappy with its progress as of yet, I found my camera and HERE IT IS!!!

Beware, many photos

DSCN0239.jpg

DSCN0236.jpg

DSCN0233.jpg

DSCN0234.jpg

DSCN0230.jpg

DSCN0232.jpg

DSCN0227.jpg

DSCN0226.jpg

A few things about it:

1) This is my first helm and it is VERY early in the production stages.

2)The white stuff is plaster, a piece didn't work right with the glue

3)The blue cloth is temporary, unly until I can get a cap on it. Still trying to figure that part out, any suggestions would help immensly!

4)I feel, personally, this is the most awesome helmet to grace centreville, Virginia. Period. Feel free to dispute that fact.

Thanks for all the help,
Chris

Macattack64 said:
Wow... That's gonna take you a long as time...

probably not, I got the entire day tomorrow and sunday, so I can punch some pretty big dents in it. Most of today I sat around, trying to figure out how to make the top of the helm.

Please, if you got suggestions, post them.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for a learning and POC piece.

When you do another, remember to measure twice and cut once.

Also, you might want to wait until you get the full product before taking more off. So you can figure out how to make the whole look good.

Thats a good idea man, I'll look into it.

I would like it all to be wooden if possible though, anybody know of wooden bowls or stuff of that nature?

Chris

FinAeros said:
Good for a learning and POC piece.

When you do another, remember to measure twice and cut once.

Also, you might want to wait until you get the full product before taking more off. So you can figure out how to make the whole look good.

Your talking about sanding down and shaping a wee bit right?

As far as measuring goes, it is all eyeball. I did not start with a scale or conversion from pep or anything, so it is just what I think fits and looks good.

:: Nods.::

That works, but I'm assuming you're going to (eventually) want to do a second (maybe an "improved") helmet. Either as a spare, as that one gets beaten up, or something to add a little more variance to your wardrobe.

And I've found that with mark 1 eyeballing of carvings and such that if I pencil in a design sometimes I notice spacing issues and such prior to starting carving that I might not have noticed otherwise or would have been hard to correct after I had started to cut.

FinAeros said:
:: Nods.::

That works, but I'm assuming you're going to (eventually) want to do a second (maybe an "improved") helmet. Either as a spare, as that one gets beaten up, or something to add a little more variance to your wardrobe.

And I've found that with mark 1 eyeballing of carvings and such that if I pencil in a design sometimes I notice spacing issues and such prior to starting carving that I might not have noticed otherwise or would have been hard to correct after I had started to cut.

Ya, planning isn't my strong suit, but i always have a plan "B" if no planning fails. As the narrator from Dukes of Hazard said, "When Flying by the seat of your pants, nothing sounds more official than a plan "B"."

It is coming together. I figure once I add the visor, cap and paint it, it will look all purty.

Now, that brings another issue, color.

I am thinking either red or dark walnut. :dee:

Hmm... :Steve: It looks like its coming out good, for being made of wood (better than I thought) But it seems to me in my opinion, that wood is not an ideal thing to use for making a helmet, maybe the body armor, but the helmet I cant see being made of wood. But who knows, it may come out pretty damn sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back