would this work??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you don't understand the principle of fiberglassing.. You are putting a layer of resin on the paper. The paper is covered in fiberglass. This means that the characteristic of paper are gone.

The reason why you should sand the pep is to make the helmet a bit less square. Not to get rid of the paper...

and if you dont fiberglass the outside and leave it paper soaking it in water might get messy

Damien said:
and if you dont fiberglass the outside and leave it paper soaking it in water might get messy

[attachment=262:2859012730_ORIG.jpeg]

yeah it looks like this when it water touches it and gets through non resined spots.

I didn't try this but i left my helm outside to harden and and light shower came... :cautious:

BTW it is suggested to fiberglass the INSIDE on the helmet so the detail of the shape is not maliciously warped

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the paper will be unnoticeable. think of it as a 3d tracing paper for the real end product.

Also, side note, once you mix up the resin, there isnt a thing in the world that will stop it from drying. And being outside doesnt give any real advantages. Just a quick heads up. Allthough, I've found out that if you leave it over the AC unit giant fan thingy while it dries, the smell goes down noticeably.

Cheers.

drgon47 said:
Yeah, the paper will be unnoticeable. think of it as a 3d tracing paper for the real end product.
Also, side note, once you mix up the resin, there isnt a thing in the world that will stop it from drying. And being outside doesnt give any real advantages. Just a quick heads up. Allthough, I've found out that if you leave it over the AC unit giant fan thingy while it dries, the smell goes down noticeably.

Cheers.

i disagree

Advantages for resining the outside:
1) Keeps it firm for resining and glassing inside
2) Keeps water off paper to prevent warping if somehow caused to be wet
3) It is easier to resin the outside than in because of the weird angles you are forced to get to with a brush.

Therefore 3 supports 1

Plus it gets easy experience on using resin with the cardstock

I believe it is an "extra" necessary step for this project!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back