Xbl And Satellite Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyGunner

Hey guys, got some questions regarding xbox live, and compatibility with different kinds of internet.
I've had satellite internet for a little over two and a half years now, and I've never been able to play any type of online games comfortably on either my computer, or, more recently, my new xbox. I've always been led to believe that this is due to the "pulse signal" that the internet runs on. I've got a satellite dish that sits on my roof, that I'm assuming makes the signal able to reach our house out in god forsaken nowhere. :cautious: Every time I attempted to play Halo CE or H2 PC, on my computer, I was able to load the game, and was able to do most of the stuff you would think I could, but after that it just went haywire. I couldn't walk a step without "warping" all over the place. When I picked up a sniper rifle, and tried to shoot someone, they kept running and the bullet didn't "reach" them until 3-4 seconds later. The computer game days are gone now that I've got an xbox, but the same problem, I think still applies for the LIVE service.

Anyways, onto the main reason for this topic. I recently got every single acievement on H3 that was possible to get without playing online. My gamerscore is now 900. I would absolutely love to be able to get the 4 acheivements that come with the mythic map pack, but I don't know if I'll be able to. I considered buying Halo wars in order to get the mythic map pack that way, but after being informed by the puma, I'm not sure if I'll be able to activate the maps unless I have xbox live. Could anyone clarify this? Would I be able to add the mythic map pack from halo wars to my hard drive without accessing the LIVE service?

And finally, if the previous method isn't applicable, would it be possible to simply connect my xbox to my internet, and be able to access the live store, without having connection problems? Like, basically, download the mythic map pack from the store with 800 points, without having problems connecting to the store, or having problems creating a live account?

I'm really stuck here guys. I'd greatly appreciate any advice form someone who has experience with this type of internet service.

Just for reference, in case you need to know, I'm using a provider called Wildblue. I'm pretty sure my family gets it through DirectTv, because it's a subsidiary company I believe.

Thanks for any help in advance! ;)

Being a Wildblue user myself, I can actually say that XBL does infact work over satellite internet. You can log in, download updates, ect. HOWEVER, you will not be able to play any games. Well, you can, but Wildblue typically has a near 2000ms ping, making the games unbarable. Back in the old days of Halo 2, there was a company called StarBand, their satellite kept around the 600ms range, and that was barely doable, but WildBlue is out of the question.

You should be able to download the maps no problem, but it will take a while if your down speed was like mine, about 60kb/s.

heres the quick and well cant be silly so it'll be the qucik and painfull.

first off satilite internet is absolutely not good for any type of online game play. not enough bandwidth and the satillites cant deal with that and tv communications through one connection. reson the sattilite isnt just carrying you its carrying anyone who uses that service. another thing is well hey its cloudy out side or a bird flys by your window yup you will experience the pains of lag my friend. and if your family is useing the tv even worse.

next thing is yes you can redeme your code for mythic but it will take ages to download. id suggest heading to a friends and downloading them on your console their... assumeing he doesnt have sattilite either or dial up. so no offence but its not you or your equiptment or bungie or microsoft its that sattilite and the provider your useing that controlls it.

and no im not talking about the dish on the side of the house that i'd use as a salad bowl for parties. just for clarification.

so you get my point. if you live in the middle of nowhere like one of my firends your stuck with offline till you actually visit a friend with a good connection and he or she alows youto bring your system with you. remember sattilite is only for surfing small non heavy downloading and tv signals not much else.

Being a Wildblue user myself, I can actually say that XBL does infact work over satellite internet. You can log in, download updates, ect. HOWEVER, you will not be able to play any games. Well, you can, but Wildblue typically has a near 2000ms ping, making the games unbarable. Back in the old days of Halo 2, there was a company called StarBand, their satellite kept around the 600ms range, and that was barely doable, but WildBlue is out of the question.

You should be able to download the maps no problem, but it will take a while if your down speed was like mine, about 60kb/s.

The following picture should express how I feel:

XBL.jpg

Dude I am so excited!!! I can't wait to figure out how to hook it up! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a friend with direct tv internet. He claims he plays on xbox live all the time without problems, but I've never seen it myself nor played with him online.

Who knows what kind of ping he is putting up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back