Xbox live gets screwy all of a sudden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GruntOfAction

Alright so recently I had my connection going through a router to a switch (BAD IDEA IMO) so we got rid of the switch and hooked it to the router..Normally this would help the problem..

..Instead, now my xbox will need to sign in XBL every 3 seconds and when I do sign it it will take 3 minutes and halfway through it will say im disconnected..Then it signs me out of my profile and says my networking is not working properly..What the heck is going on? Is this some "pre fall update" thing or is my xbox about to kerplode?

GruntOfAction said:
Does anyone know how to fix this problem or am I screwed?
This sounds like a router problem, but check your network settings on the 360 Dashboard to see if anything is out of the ordinary just in case.
If the network settings on the console read ok, then you may have to either reconfigure your router or reset it. My router has some problems sometimes and pulling the power to it and plugging it back in a few seconds later usally helps.
Worst case scenerio is that you may need a different router that supports higher bandwidth.

Post what router you use and if anything is screwy with the console settings, and maybe we'll find out what's wrong.

-Magnum

Last edited by a moderator:
23Magnum said:
This sounds like a router problem, but check your network settings on the 360 Dashboard to see if anything is out of the ordinary just in case.
If the network settings on the console read ok, then you may have to either reconfigure your router or reset it. My router has some problems sometimes and pulling the power to it and plugging it back in a few seconds later usally helps.
Worst case scenerio is that you may need a different router that supports higher bandwidth.

Post what router you use and if anything is screwy with the console settings, and maybe we'll find out what's wrong.

-Magnum

Its a linksys router..And I don't think we have reset it in awhile...That might be the cause of the problems..Me and my dad are gonna work on it later when he gets off work though.

GruntOfAction said:
Its a linksys router..And I don't think we have reset it in awhile...That might be the cause of the problems..Me and my dad are gonna work on it later when he gets off work though.

I have a linksys router as well and they work just fine, so it must be a settings or bandwidth issue. It's a little extra effort, but try and make sure you set up a secure wireless network if you use the wireless at all. This makes it near impossible for people around you to 'steal' a connection off your signal without the password. If you don't use the wireless, turn it off. Both these will help limit the amount of people using the router and taking up it's bandwidth. This is basically the router I have.
I believe I set up a WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access). It seem to work the best and was a little easier to setup for my purposes, i.e. - Wireless Laptop and Wireless 360 Adapter.
Hope that helped you out, let me know if you need anymore help with it.

-Magnum

It was working okay today...Untill my sister decided to run MSN AND GOOGLEMAPS WHILE IM PLAYING...

Lagged so hard somehow I stuck 2 people with one grenade...

GruntOfAction said:
It was working okay today...Untill my sister decided to run MSN AND GOOGLEMAPS WHILE IM PLAYING...

Lagged so hard somehow I stuck 2 people with one grenade...

Well that's probably your problem, what connection speed do you have cable, dsl, something else?

23Magnum said:
Well that's probably your problem, what connection speed do you have cable, dsl, something else?
DSL 512MSP or something..Its working fine when my sister aint on the same network..Damn her for getting a webcam and having MSN video chats and playing an online game..

If she's doing that, I'd suggest having a word with her and explaining that other people want to use the internet as well - it isn't there purely for her use, and if she insists on hogging the bandwidth like that, talk with your parents.

if you can stick 2 people with 1 'nade, what are you complaining about.
But serously if your sister keeps stealing your bandwidth unplug her internet or something :whistle:

The Mastah. said:
if you can stick 2 people with 1 'nade, what are you complaining about.
But serously if your sister keeps stealing your bandwidth unplug her internet or something :whistle:

Only advisable if you want domestic violence. In my experience, stopping your sister from doing something usually ends up with you being labelled as the bad guy.

Yeah...She sees it as because she has 2 friends online who just play RPGs all day then she has every right to not let me on the internet...We already tried a schedule with her while I rented CoD4...Didn't work..

The one day I was supost to have all the internet for myself ended up being an hour and a half of me on and the rest of her on.

And you wanna know whats sad? SHE STAYS ON UNTILL 11PM TO 12AM ON THE DAMN THING AND NEVER WAKES UP FOR SCHOOL IN THE MORNING.

And im usally off right when im supost to be on the xbox..And my mom says she will do something...But she never does.

Primal Weyland said:
Only advisable if you want domestic violence. In my experience, stopping your sister from doing something usually ends up with you being labelled as the bad guy.

True. I suggest that you work out some sort of compromise that allows you two unlimited access to the internet every other day alternating between the two of you.

The other choice is to get cable internet installed. I have cable and I can be online on my computer surfing, while I'm online XBL.

-Magnum

How old is your sister? Maybe you should trying finding her a boyfriend, that'll get her off the computer, I bet.

23Magnum said:
True. I suggest that you work out some sort of compromise that allows you two unlimited access to the internet every other day alternating between the two of you.

The other choice is to get cable internet installed. I have cable and I can be online on my computer surfing, while I'm online XBL.

-Magnum

How old is your sister? Maybe you should trying finding her a boyfriend, that'll get her off the computer, I bet.
Cable internet is not avalable in Bodun-I mean middle georgia..sadly..My dad bought his own line so he wouldn't mess up the network with his server on it so now im stuck with her on it..

Shes 18 years old..And since we are both homeschooled I doubt she will be getting a local boyfriend anytime soon...

Either im gonna have to get a job or she is because im tired of her lagging me out.

GruntOfAction said:
Cable internet is not avalable in Bodun-I mean middle georgia..sadly..My dad bought his own line so he wouldn't mess up the network with his server on it so now im stuck with her on it..

Shes 18 years old..And since we are both homeschooled I doubt she will be getting a local boyfriend anytime soon...

Either im gonna have to get a job or she is because im tired of her lagging me out.

Soon she should be able to go to college, right? Hopefully, she'll go very far away, hehe.

23Magnum said:
Soon she should be able to go to college, right? Hopefully, she'll go very far away, hehe.

She will be in college locally..And living here..

GruntOfAction said:
She will be in college locally..And living here..

Well that sucks. You might just have to resort to computer warfare then. Delete a key program file that the game she plays needs to run properly, that way it'll just look like the game stopped working and not that you messed it up. It'll probably take her forever to figure out what's wrong, and in the mean time you'll be playing online. Sneaky, but it should work as long as she doesn't know much about computer files and stuff.

Let the battle begin, hehe. :devil:

-Magnum

23Magnum said:
Well that sucks. You might just have to resort to computer warfare then. Delete a key program file that the game she plays needs to run properly, that way it'll just look like the game stopped working and not that you messed it up. It'll probably take her forever to figure out what's wrong, and in the mean time you'll be playing online. Sneaky, but it should work as long as she doesn't know much about computer files and stuff.

Let the battle begin, hehe. :devil:

-Magnum
Runescape doesn't have that and im pretty sure World of warcraft doesnt? What does she play?

Leadingspartan said:
Runescape doesn't have that and im pretty sure World of warcraft doesnt? What does she play?

NeverwinterNights..Its a store bought RPG....And if I do anything to tamper with it im the first one she blames so yeah..I can't do anything about it because my parents are essentaily playing favorites with her...

Or maybe im just having a rough week considering yesterday I tripped and cracked my skull on a stud in the wall....You know its bad when you personally heard a sickening crack..And studs don't crack that easily..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back