Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty 714

Hey all! I just want to say this right off the bat, I am not going to start 3d printing this stuff until I finish my halo 3 suit. I don't have access to my printer right now so I decided to start modeling my next project. It's a Power Ranger so... It's morphin time 3DVagabond! I always loved power rangers.
20200225_114258.jpg

Screenshot (177).pngScreenshot (178).pngScreenshot (179).pngScreenshot (180).png I took the file for the character model from the power rangers legacy wars game and I imported it to blender. then I went into edit mode and deleted the vertices for where I believed the visor would be. then I pressed the Z key to go into that other mode, I don't know what to call it lol, and I selected all of the parts that belonged to the helmet and pressed the P key to separate it from the body. BOOOOOOOOM! I was happily surprised that there was already a head hole. hip hip HURRAAAAAY! any tips on how to make this printable would be appreciated. :D

Last edited:
I dont know how to make this printable, sorry, but I will also be making a power ranger after my halo reach suit... I will be making the male version of the mystic force blue ranger that was featured in megaforce... Go Go Power Rangers! :D

Edit: for those who dont know, this is what the suit looks like

Prmf-bluem.png

Last edited:
... What have I (bleep)ing done! I've sparked inspiration! XD Okay, so I would have to explain a couple of things about making your own helmet that I had to learn and am STILL learning because I am personally chasing after perfection!

First, thing first is that you are going to need a male human head. I had to generate one using the MakeHuman program in order to get the sizing of the helmet properly measured. That means that you will have to size it up to where the model can see out of it. If the digital dummy can't see it out of it, then you won't see it either.

Second, start thinking about how you are going to put it on and taking it off. That means that you are going to create a seam line somewhere on the helmet. I'm thinking about the area of the helmet where it has its second elevation. That is just a suggestion. If you can, get references of that ranger helmet. As many as you can. Once you get an universal consensus on where to open up the helmet, follow it in Blender and see how it goes.

Third, make sure that you have universal thickness on the helmet. If you are planning on using the helmet straight from the printer with out creating any molds, like I'm trying to figure out how to do, then make sure that it is at least three or four millimeters minimum. That means you are going to have to create an inner shell in order to give the helmet more strength.

Finally, the last thing you are going to need to do is to create more detail. When you rip a game model from a game, it's going to have a lot of low polygons, but this is a model to model basis. Some will give you more polygons while others give you less. This is where topology of the model is important because if it has too many triangles at different parts, you are not going to get a smoother print and that means more sanding and prep time before you can start painting...

ONE MORE TING!

Save duplicate copies of your file! If you get to a point to where you want to try something new, save a new file from where you worked so far and try it out. If the idea goes straight to hell, you can delete it and go back as if it never happened. For example, you saved your file with the name, " Yellow Hyperforce Ranger 11_23_2020" and you want to try something new, you can deviate from it try it out. If it works, continue from that point forward.
That's that I did and it prevented me from starting back at a different point of the modeling process.

That's a couple of hints I can give to you right now. I'm in the process of making some patterns for my suit so it's going to be some time before it's almost done. I might make a tutorial from start to finish depending on how it turns out since there isn't an actual tutorial on Youtube to do one. I'll just have to wait and see. For now, good luck and if you have any more questions, you can invoke my name again and I'll try my best to answer them.

Screenshot (182).png

I fixed some minor details that I originally had wrong. first I realized the visor had a bigger gap bellow the ram horns than there was in the game and so I rose the mouth area up. than I touched up the horns around the visor and on top of the helmet to make them look sharper and more like this
helmet.jpg

but if you look at the mouth plate on this picture and the one I put in the first post you realize his design is not exactly consistent as he only appears in the comics, the original youtube show and the game. which I guess im glad about because it means I don't have to worry as much about the little details. :p (y) I do think that this version is probably the correct version though because the game sometimes skimps out on details.

... What have I (bleep)ing done! I've sparked inspiration! XD Okay, so I would have to explain a couple of things about making your own helmet that I had to learn and am STILL learning because I am personally chasing after perfection!

First, thing first is that you are going to need a male human head. I had to generate one using the MakeHuman program in order to get the sizing of the helmet properly measured. That means that you will have to size it up to where the model can see out of it. If the digital dummy can't see it out of it, then you won't see it either.

Second, start thinking about how you are going to put it on and taking it off. That means that you are going to create a seam line somewhere on the helmet. I'm thinking about the area of the helmet where it has its second elevation. That is just a suggestion. If you can, get references of that ranger helmet. As many as you can. Once you get an universal consensus on where to open up the helmet, follow it in Blender and see how it goes.

Third, make sure that you have universal thickness on the helmet. If you are planning on using the helmet straight from the printer with out creating any molds, like I'm trying to figure out how to do, then make sure that it is at least three or four millimeters minimum. That means you are going to have to create an inner shell in order to give the helmet more strength.

Finally, the last thing you are going to need to do is to create more detail. When you rip a game model from a game, it's going to have a lot of low polygons, but this is a model to model basis. Some will give you more polygons while others give you less. This is where topology of the model is important because if it has too many triangles at different parts, you are not going to get a smoother print and that means more sanding and prep time before you can start painting...

ONE MORE TING!

Save duplicate copies of your file! If you get to a point to where you want to try something new, save a new file from where you worked so far and try it out. If the idea goes straight to hell, you can delete it and go back as if it never happened. For example, you saved your file with the name, " Yellow Hyperforce Ranger 11_23_2020" and you want to try something new, you can deviate from it try it out. If it works, continue from that point forward.
That's that I did and it prevented me from starting back at a different point of the modeling process.

That's a couple of hints I can give to you right now. I'm in the process of making some patterns for my suit so it's going to be some time before it's almost done. I might make a tutorial from start to finish depending on how it turns out since there isn't an actual tutorial on Youtube to do one. I'll just have to wait and see. For now, good luck and if you have any more questions, you can invoke my name again and I'll try my best to answer them.

THANK YOU! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

View attachment 285203
I fixed some minor details that I originally had wrong. first I realized the visor had a bigger gap bellow the ram horns than there was in the game and so I rose the mouth area up. than I touched up the horns around the visor and on top of the helmet to make them look sharper and more like this
View attachment 285204
but if you look at the mouth plate on this picture and the one I put in the first post you realize his design is not exactly consistent as he only appears in the comics, the original youtube show and the game. which I guess im glad about because it means I don't have to worry as much about the little details. :p (y) I do think that this version is probably the correct version though because the game sometimes skimps out on details.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. There's always a difference between the game version and the real helmet.

Of course, the game version will have less detail. But the more detail you have on a 3d print, the better the result at the end. Take a look at some of the references I found.

1582735923996.png

1582735976780.png

1582736048596.png

1582736774934.png

When it comes to Super Sentai/Power Ranger helmets, it's all about details, details, details! You just have to put more effort into the work. Trust me. It will pay off in the end.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. There's always a difference between the game version and the real helmet.

Of course, the game version will have less detail. But the more detail you have on a 3d print, the better the result at the end. Take a look at some of the references I found.

View attachment 285205

View attachment 285206
View attachment 285207
View attachment 285208

When it comes to Super Sentai/Power Ranger helmets, it's all about details, details, details! You just have to put more effort into the work. Trust me. It will pay off in the end.

That cosplay is gonna be THICC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back