Yet another ODST Build

Well no real work done on the ODST suit. All that is left is the legs, but I have this horrible habit of measuring 4 times, but still having to cut 5 times. Never fails. My wife has been a little under the weather so I don't want to pester her to help me measure myself for Armorsmith right now either. Ive been messing around a little with scaling some pieces and then just printing a slice or two of them, but nothing concrete yet.

In the mean time though, I was looking around on this site and found a wonderful thread by MrJamin and how he designed a M41 SPNKr... Halo 3 SPNKr

Sometimes I hate myself for jumping in on to many things...
I feel you there on jumping on to too many things. I have so many half built projects that are just collecting dust. I'm pretty sure you know this already, but its easier said than done; "Stick to one thing at a time."
Your suits looking really clean so far already! And your doing a really good job with the cat scaling photos, they're important for making sure its a good fit. Cat scaling photos make my day :)

I feel you there on jumping on to too many things. I have so many half built projects that are just collecting dust. I'm pretty sure you know this already, but its easier said than done; "Stick to one thing at a time."
Your suits looking really clean so far already! And your doing a really good job with the cat scaling photos, they're important for making sure its a good fit. Cat scaling photos make my day :)
I totally agree. I really plan on starting on the thighs this weekend, just got my fresh shipment of PLA in this morning. The way I'm justifying the M41 is a lot of the barrel rings only need 5-15 grams of plastic, and I have quite a few spools of PLA that are sub 100g that I want to use for all the small parts. If they print, yay less wasted filament, if not, its not to much of a boon reprinting them.

I do have a little more time though this coming week to put towards since I'm technically "unemployed" (taking a week off before starting at a new company), so Im hoping to put that towards these projects. I will be sure to get some more cat scale photos in the coming days, just for you Bowye!!

So I know I said I agree with your advice... but the M41 is just so tantalizing! And I crunched the numbers and printing it out should only take me until tomorrow, so I transitioned to that. I will defiantly work on the ODST armor this week, but I just want to get the parts printed for the launcher for now. I also have family visiting soon and being able to show off a cool SPNKr sounds... cool. Also I tried making an avatar for myself in Armorsmith but the measuring tape I used is in Chinese inches... which is apparently a real thing and not the same as imperial inches. I'm just going to remeasure in centimeter. (I was concerned that I was a lot bigger than I though I should be while measuring, either way that not here nor there). I do have most of the parts printed for the M41 though, with the last major part being the grip, which I have started printing now and should be done in a little over a day. Besides that I only have random rings left to print, and a few pieces from the center cylinder, so baring anything coming up I should have everything printed off by tomorrow mid day!

I was going to get cat for scale photos, but my cats decided to do a quality inspection instead, and then my smallest agreed to trial a new cat powered M41 launcher

20230313_104407.jpg
20230313_104334.jpg

Attachments

• 20230313_104126.jpg
    20230313_104126.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 67
  • 20230313_104136.jpg
    20230313_104136.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 78
  • 20230313_104149.jpg
    20230313_104149.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 71
  • 20230313_104222.jpg
    20230313_104222.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 71
So... All the parts are printed for the M41. Woke up this morning to the final prints finished! Gathered them together and I present a boxed SPNKr
20230314_102533.jpg

I got to work trying to fit all the cylinders together onto the PVC pipes (and figuring out where everything goes, the grip is all kinds of wrong in the picture above).
20230314_142604.jpg

After getting the launcher all lined up, I glued together the grip and managed to get it all painted up too

20230314_151545.jpg

And then a test fit to make sure everything lines up (photos are not in order)

20230314_142148.jpg

And finally how it sits now, I just finished priming the launcher. Need to run to the store to grab some more paint

20230314_145930.jpg

Last edited:
So... All the parts are printed for the M41. Woke up this morning to the final prints finished! Gathered them together and I present a boxed SPNKr
View attachment 329039
I got to work trying to fit all the cylinders together onto the PVC pipes (and figuring out where everything goes, the grip is all kinds of wrong in the picture above).
View attachment 329040

After getting the launcher all lined up, I glued together the grip and managed to get it all painted up too

View attachment 329041

And then a test fit to make sure everything lines up (photos are not in order)

View attachment 329042

And finally how it sits now, I just finished priming the launcher. Need to run to the store to grab some more paint

View attachment 329043
Looks great, can't wait to see it all together when it's done, with your odst suit.

Sorry it's been a little while since my last update. Life got busy for a little while so I haven't had time to work on my ODST armor for a while. The visiting family finally left (not sure how to phrase that to not sound bad, I enjoy them being here, but they had to go home?), and I kind of blew my budget when they were down here. Need to wait just a little longer for the next pay day so I can restock my PLA storage. This also will give me time to do some more TLC maintenance on my ender 5 as it was leaving brown burnt globs in my prints for my family this last week. From what the Google tells me it looks like my hot end just needs to be taken apart and reinstalled, it is a microswiss all metal hot end, and I haven't really done a full cleaning on it in like 3 years.

Also I started my new job and it made me realize just how much free time I had at my old job, so I can't just disappear for an hour in the middle of the day to work on painting the props, but I really like what I am doing at my new job.

So where it stands now is I'm waiting to refill my PLA budget, and then I'll get back to printing the leg armor. I have one last piece to paint and attach to the M41, and add the stenciled logos and such for that to be completed.

Fingers crossed I can start that all up again in a week or so.

I'M BACK! Who knew changing jobs from a mid sized established company to a start up inside a multi national conglomerate would take up so much time!! Anyway, things have settled down and I can finally start working on my armor again! I have all of the upper half finished so I have finally started on the legs. I have the left upper thigh printed out, currently in 3 pieces, and under going cat quality inspection:
20230616_210600.jpg

I have the other upper thigh printing right now, though I ran out of my white pla and only had a roll of black from who know how long ago. I have not had much luck with black pla, so fingers crossed this 1.5 day print doesnt fail!

Capture.PNG

In printer news, my ender 5 is down for the count right now. It just would not stop spitting out burnt blobs of filament. So after trying everything short of a complete rebuild of the extruder with no luck, I decided if I was going to rebuild the extruder I would just upgrade it to a direct drive extruder. The CR-6MAX will stay as my Bowden printer and hopefully I can start printing some TPU stuff on the Ender 5. The conversion kit is supposed to come in sometime late next week!

My oh my how 3 months passed with no real progress. The convention in August is coming up quick!

Its near done! At least all of the main armor is printed off and painted. I still need to get the straps correct for some of the pieces and the small details to be painted and attached (like the buckles on the side of the thigh).
20230627_202956.jpg

So now a question to those with much more experience, how do I tie together the outfit. I am trying to figure out what to wear under the armor, I have a black digital camo suit, but I also just picked up a black flight suit because that feels like it would fit better? But beyond that I feel like there's a lot of "gaps" in the armor. Do I need like a vest and pouch system? Or do I even need stuff beyond the armor?

Attachments

• 20230627_202856.jpg
    20230627_202856.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • 20230627_202815.jpg
    20230627_202815.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • 20230627_202645.jpg
    20230627_202645.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
I LOVE the cats for scale! and my two cents on the printer: It looks like a partial clog, look up doing a "cold pull" and that may help clear a clog. and like someone has mentioned before, it could also be the filament pusher, if your able to access it i recommend removing the filament and using an old tooth brush dipped in some isopropyl alcohol to carefully scrub it, sometimes dust and bits of filament gets packed in and the gear has trouble gripping the filament. best of luck!

I LOVE the cats for scale! and my two cents on the printer: It looks like a partial clog, look up doing a "cold pull" and that may help clear a clog. and like someone has mentioned before, it could also be the filament pusher, if your able to access it i recommend removing the filament and using an old tooth brush dipped in some isopropyl alcohol to carefully scrub it, sometimes dust and bits of filament gets packed in and the gear has trouble gripping the filament. best of luck!
Thank you for the advice! I have a sneaking suspension you are right about the clog and or the pusher, but I decided to use this as motivation to go the extreme rout and convert it to a direct drive printer, so I will completely replace the hot end and pusher. If that doesn't fix it then I don't know what will.

Also for updates, I ended up getting a black flight suit and a better vest than the one that I had, and I have to say it did wonders "filling in" the gaps in the armor. All I could manage right now is dirty bathroom mirror selfies, but I hope to do a full test fit of the armor this weekend!

Attachments

• 20230629_173751.jpg
    20230629_173751.jpg
    930.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230629_173825.jpg
    20230629_173825.jpg
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230629_173901.jpg
    20230629_173901.jpg
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 64
Thank you for the advice! I have a sneaking suspension you are right about the clog and or the pusher, but I decided to use this as motivation to go the extreme rout and convert it to a direct drive printer, so I will completely replace the hot end and pusher. If that doesn't fix it then I don't know what will.

Also for updates, I ended up getting a black flight suit and a better vest than the one that I had, and I have to say it did wonders "filling in" the gaps in the armor. All I could manage right now is dirty bathroom mirror selfies, but I hope to do a full test fit of the armor this weekend!
I have heard mixed results about doing a direct drive, full warning. it can be harder to replace and fix if it breaks from what I've heard, I don't have any direct drive printers my self currently. I look forward to seeing full kit photos!

It's "finished"! Everything (except the wrists) has the straps that it needs and is wearable. The flight suit and vest really went well with all the armor pieces on. It is a beast and a half to put on, but its there! The wrist armor is to small so I will need to reprint those and repaint, but everything else seemed to fit well enough. If I have time I want to print out a different helmet as this one is just a tad to big and I cant get the inside padding right how I want them. Next step though is to figure out how to rig up the clips on the thighs so I can strap my halo 4 magnum to it. Also, TATICAL HOUSE SLIPPERS!
20230630_182921.jpg

Attachments

• 20230630_183243.jpg
    20230630_183243.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
  • 20230630_183232.jpg
    20230630_183232.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
  • 20230630_182930.jpg
    20230630_182930.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • 20230630_182856.jpg
    20230630_182856.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
I was able to do my first Con! The Houston Anime Matsuri. It was the first convention I had been to, costumed or plain clothed, so I learned a ton. First and foremost was the clips and pegs just did not seem to hold up for my costume, so I quite literally duct taped myself into. Second is the forearm armor bites the crap out of my wrists. It was manageable when I covered the worst parts with a little duct tape, but boy did that hurt. And finally, ODST armor is not the best thing to wear in 104 degree heat, but I still managed about 5 hours in the costume. I did down 4 Gatorades and a couple bottles of water though! Over all it was a ton of fun. Walking around took some learning to figure out how to bend my joints. There was a lot or armor on armor rubbing so I will probably have to go back and touch up the paint on a lot of pieces, though I am already eyeing other files for my second set of armor!
20230811_175159.jpg

20230811_151701.jpg

Attachments

• 20230811_155409.jpg
    20230811_155409.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 53
  • 20230811_154959.jpg
    20230811_154959.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 58
  • 20230811_160350.jpg
    20230811_160350.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 58
  • 20230811_160905.jpg
    20230811_160905.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
This thread is more than 7 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back