Announcing The Spartan Ghost Red Bull Racer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I promised to post more photos from the work I did Sunday, but unfortunately I only took one photo and it doesn't even show the rear cage supports very well, which was mainly what I worked on. My buddies weren't able to help me on Sunday so I was working alone and progress was slow.

We've run into another speed bump in regards to the rules. The weight limit on the cart is 175lbs without driver and we've just hit 132lbs. I found that our seat is 15lbs (without it we're at 117)! So we've got to ditch the seat and find a lighter alternative. The sad part is that before I did the weigh-in I cut a whole bunch of metal sections out of the chair and cleaned off all the rust for over an hour and it looked really awesome. Again wasted effort. My OCD nature kicked in and I spent most of my time cutting and grinding away all the excess metal bumps and junk that were on the frame to make it sleek and maybe even to shave off one or two pounds. It's not much but it's easier to do it now before the fiberglass gets applied.

In all my metal grinding glory I managed to get a tiny piece of metal in my eye and had to go to the Eye Emergency Room at Jefferson Hospital today. :oops: They removed the metal and I'm fine now after they "abraded" the minor "rust-ring" that was left on my cornea. I was wearing safety glasses, but a spark must have hit my cheek and bounced up into my eye somehow. I'll be wearing safety goggles from now on out. The ironic part is that I'm the most safety conscious guy on our team.

Other updates: I'm going to try to finish the plasma cannon cutouts this week working after work etc. My buddies are looking for a new seat. We found a cheap solution for the disk brake rotor --> Bicycle chain ring/sprockets. We've decided to use metal flashing for the wing flaps. I've mapped out the dimensions of the wings and we'll add them next weekend. All three of us are going to spend the whole next weekend working on the project (spending the night in an old Winnabago) just to catch up on lost time. Hopefully we'll make substantial progress then.

looks good! I can really see the frame starting to come together. The scaled replica is actually a really nice reference

In all my metal grinding glory I managed to get a tiny piece of metal in my eye and had to go to the Eye Emergency Room at Jefferson Hospital today. duh.gif They removed the metal and I'm fine now after they "abraded" the minor "rust-ring" that was left on my cornea. I was wearing safety glasses, but a spark must have hit my cheek and bounced up into my eye somehow. I'll be wearing safety goggles from now on out. The ironic part is that I'm the most safety conscious guy on our team.

great fun, isn't it? nothing like seeing a drill coming at your eye from your peripheral vision. After the first time, its not so bad. Sadly enough, I've gotten so many chunks of metal and such in my eye I keep a sharpened pair of tweezers in my toolbox for extraction. Not recommended for the faint of heart.
Unless you're head is in a positive pressure, fully enclosed, hazmat style helmet, you're always gonna run the risk of stuff getting in/on/around your face. I was mig welding yesterday, with a helmet on, and a cherry (hot chunk of splatter) hit me in the corner of the eye, the little pink part right where the two eyelids come together. suck.

Anyway...

If you're in a bind for a seat, make a simple frame, and sling it with canvas or the like, or use an aluminum yard chair, bolted in place. Just from a cursory glance, it looks like you're using 2" square tubing at the front, probably 1/8"wall or less. Assuming you're driver doesn't weigh in at 350 lbs, you should be able to reduce that to 1 1/4, maybe less, depending on how its braced (or, leave the front at 2", and reduce the size of the rear wheel brace). As for your frame, you might consider leaving the front of the nose section at the 1" (guess here) OD round tubing, and replacing some of it with 3/4", or even 5/8". I can't tell what size the wall thickness is, but if you keep only the front beefy (for collisions and such) and then use a small diameter tube for the rest, you should be able to shave off a few lbs.
One more suggestion: front fork off a kids tricycle instead of the girls bike one. They can handle a fair mount of weight, and the reduced size of not only the fork and tire, but also the smaller support frame should be able to save a little weight as well. Then again, you're already setup for brakes and what not, so that might be out of the question.
Side note: rear steer is fun. Except when you panic. Don't panic.

Looks cool... If you're careful with how you fiberglass the skin in place, and use a little internal bracing, you should be able to get away with a 20 or 30lb body. Details and paint and the like are gonna add some weight, though, so if you have access to an experienced fiberglass guy, it'll help out in the long run. Hell, call around. Since you live in Philly, there should be plenty of boat builders you can ask. Hell, some of em might even volunteer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the new photos on my blog from the work we did over the last two weekends. We now have steering, braking, a new light plastic seat, wings, fiberglass hull and are finally doing the body work. More info to follow.

Photo Album:
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?automodu...m&album=676

Blog:
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?automodu...blogid=277&

We have used 3 gallons of fiberglass, at least 24 square feet of rough fiberglass matting, and a crap load of hardener.
Today I bought another gallon of fiberglass ($30), a gallon of Bondo ($20), Tube of Bondo Hardener ($6), Bondo Spot putty ($8), plastic spreaders ($3).

Tonight the sanding & glassing continues. I'm working alone, so progress will be slow, but I've got to get this stuff done by the end of this weekend. My other teammates are working on the skit & soundtrack, and one is partying at the Philly folk festival.

By the way. Using surgical scrub brushes (hibiclens) and aggressively scrubbing for surgery really helps alleviate the itchiness you get from working with fiberglass. Just a tip.

You were talking about weight.. You could have used Aluminum. But then again, that really isn't strong, and you need a special welder to weld it.

and are you sure the bar that you sit on is strong enough? It seems to be bending downwards slightly on one of the pics.

Apart from that though, I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO BE DONE
looks awesome!

If I could afford a jeep, I would've jacked it up, put knobbly tires on it, custom made a frame for it, and then fiberglassed it to look like a warthog. Just another one of my ideas :p

So the team has come up with a relatively cool 30 sec skit for the race, but we needed to buy a Master Chief costume for it. So we went online and found this one...

http://www.anytimecostumes.com/ecommerce/c..._id=0035A888759.

It's not perfect, but it'll get the job done. We were wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to improve this costume without too much work (time is a limiting factor). Also, we need to get an Assault rifle as a prop for the Chief. Know where we can get one?

Thanks

Something looks wrong here...

gallery_7515_676_187405.png

Respirator?

very cool, all you really had to do is unfold the fiberglass cloth sheet, right? 3x3 will be pretty small, though. good luck, i'll be rooting for you!

and as for the paint mask respirator- you are in good (but dumb) company here :p

Brainal said:
Something looks wrong here...

gallery_7515_676_187405.png

Respirator?

My buddy is wearing the respirator because as he laid down the matting for the wing section I was grinding/sanding the fiberglass bumps etc off of the hull section right next to him. The whole garage was filled with fiberglass dust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems a little late to chime in, but if I had to go with a cheap suit there is always http://westerfieldstudios.com/bakitun.html but then again your version of cheap may be much different than mine. If you've already purchased the Rubies suit, I'm afraid the best you could do is buy or build real pieces and replace the Rubies ones and paint them to match. The first two pieces to replace would be #1 the chest piece and #2 the helmet.

Looking great on the Ghost, congrats.

Cheers,
Kensai

So it's been a week or two since I last posted photos of our progress. Sorry to keep you hanging, but here's an update with some great photos.
1) We used Bondo to smooth out the fiberglass hull and then started sanding... and sanding... and sanding..
2) Did I mention we did a ton of sanding? The room I used in my apartment was coated in dust by the end!
3) Then two weekends ago we returned to our workshop with the body pieces mostly finished and began mounting metal flashing and the fiberglass/bondo body pieces.
4) We then sanded again!
5) Then we painted the whole ghost with a red primer and then with a grey coat of primer.
6) We sanded yet again!
7) Then we got sick of sanding and took the ghost out for a test drive! WhooHoo! Look at me piloting a death trap! Yipee!
8) We then painted the ghost with a grey sealant.
9) Two days later we painted the ghost it's hallmark purple (no photos taken (I wasn't there))
10) This past weekend we went about adding details and decorative parts (Photos to be posted later)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back