Announcing The Spartan Ghost Red Bull Racer

Status
Not open for further replies.
LoneWolf said:
maybe you should build a full size wraith too....

Yeah, that'd be slow as hell and no point since a plasma mortar isn't within human technology's capabilities yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://kotaku.com/5046452/halo-soapbox-inv...-red-bull-derby

custom_1220814091050_P7220798.JPG

Sorry about what happened at the race :( . You know, I've been thinking of doing a Small Warthog. You know, those Little Battery Cars Little Kids Ride Around in, Put on Giant Wheels, an airsoft Turret on the back:lol: . Hopefully if I do start on it, I want it done around Halloween 08 or 09. But I'm also thinking about the Chopper that I said earlier also.

Sorry to hear guys, on the plus side you got plenty of time to refine now that the design is done for future events. Don't be dismayed. Or at the very least your about 1 or 2 hovercraft kits away from some serious ghost action.

Cheers,
Kensai

to me it looks as though it would have been that back wheel that would have been the factor... I had a feeling from the get go that it may cause some problems... to me it looks too low in some of those pics... but hell I could be wrong... I'd like to know what went wrong for sure...

sucks about the loss but im sure it was a blast building it from the ground up

any plans on making another soapbox for next year?

I'm glad some of you were able to come out on Saturday and support us. The rain and wind made it a really tough race and we're all a bit disappointed that we didn't do a bit better, but we'll be ok.

We believe our first crash was caused by an uneven push-off by the team that veered the craft off toward the left. I tried correcting for the sudden misdirection and ended up driving with only two wheels on the ground for about 10 yards. I nearly had the craft turned back in-line with the course but hit a hay-bale and bent the left wing's underlying metal frame. The bent metal dragged on the asphalt and I ground to a halt. I hopped out of the craft and my teammate and I bent the metal back into place. (One teammate cut his hand on the metal)

I hopped back into my vehicle and started back down the hill. The craft began to wobble as we accelerated and I realized the rear wheel had bent in the last crash. I think it bent because I was tilted on two wheels for too long and the excess weight of the craft (196lbs) was too much for the kid's bike wheel to handle. Once I was going over 20mph the back wheel suddenly gave out and "taco-ed" in half and could no longer turn. At that point I couldn't ride it anymore. So I got out and grabbed the rear and ran down the hill wheeling the craft like a wheel barrow. Little does anyone know that the rear section's fiberglass and zip-ties cut into my hand and shredded the skin on my fingers and palms. Once I crossed the finish my hands were dripping with blood. (note to self wear gloves next time)

Damage to the hull was negligible despite two hay-bale impacts. The fiberglass really was strong! One plasma cannon was destroyed and the underlying metal wing frame was bent out of shape. Unfortunately, the most damage to the craft occurred when we drove home after the race. A gust of wind must have hit the right wing while driving and ripped the fiberglass section off. We didn't notice and now the wing is nowhere to be found. :( We plan on repairing the craft in a few weeks.

BTW, we have an old ATV that's just begging to become a mongoose... we'll see what happens...

So here are some Race day Photos... before the crash... before right wing loss... Oh it was so beautiful... ::sniff, sniff:: :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back