custom halo reach armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy BDay!!!!! Sorry to hear about the curing issues. Have you thought of using a box to put your parts in to retain the heat and help it cure right?

Happy BDay!!!!! Sorry to hear about the curing issues. Have you thought of using a box to put your parts in to retain the heat and help it cure right?

thanks. as for the box. im strapped for cash right now. after bills and food, i have 20 bucks left and i need to get more resin and fiberglass.

thanks. as for the box. im strapped for cash right now. after bills and food, i have 20 bucks left and i need to get more resin and fiberglass.

I understand completely about cash flow. You can just use an old cardboard box with a heat lamp in it if necessary. I've done it before in the past with other things and it worked out really well. Once you put your pieces in it and close it up it acts like a kiln. I wish you luck.

I understand completely about cash flow. You can just use an old cardboard box with a heat lamp in it if necessary. I've done it before in the past with other things and it worked out really well. Once you put your pieces in it and close it up it acts like a kiln. I wish you luck.

wait a carboard box. i have one of those! lol. jk. ill give it a try. im mostly worried about it setting my pieces on fire. ive put so much time into remaking them in maya and getting the sizing just right. i really rather not have them turn to ash. but thanks for the idea. lets hope it works.

Make sure the box is twice as large as the piece, put the armor on one side and the light on the other. Remember, the only way to start a fire is if the light is right on top of your piece (or too close to the edge of the cardboard box. Think easy-bake oven, but in this case it is easy-bake kiln.

Make sure the box is twice as large as the piece, put the armor on one side and the light on the other. Remember, the only way to start a fire is if the light is right on top of your piece (or too close to the edge of the cardboard box. Think easy-bake oven, but in this case it is easy-bake kiln.

yea. the box i was going to use was for some gym equipment so its more then big enough. enough space so i can have it 1 foot away. but on the brighter side it warmed up a bit today. around 75 degrees so i was able to do some work before heading to class. i have till monday night to finish it so i can have it for the midnight release of halo 4. all thats left is to finish pepping and fiberglass the torso, slush cast the forearms, and paint everything. worst case scenario is i cant make it in time for the midnight release but it will be done for the con on the 16th.

well im back. im sorry for not really having updates. ive been extremely with christmas work, school, and it doesnt help that lately its been like 64 degrees outside for several weeks. plus it doesnt help that photobucket has been "importing" my last set of pictures for over a week now. all they told me is that their working on it.

the con came and went but because of work and school i didnt have it finished in time for it. technically im still working on it. just need to paint a few pieces and make the forearms and im done.

im thinking of using imageshack to upload the rest. my new deadline is to have it done by the end of february. i know there isnt much to do but i dont know how january will be with that being the start of a new semester.

for all those who keep watching this looking for updates, im sorry to keep you waiting. im going to try some other ways to upload pictures and i thank everyone for their interests in my work.

well photobucket is still importing those 6 pics from over 3 weeks ago. this has happened before and im losing patience, but i found a way to get them uploaded.

fiberglassed the back of my torso
SAM_00014_zpscc53bfc7.jpg

shoulder piece attached to bicep
SAM_00024_zpsfa9ab792.jpg

SAM_00032_zps7eb6363e.jpg

the 4 nuts and bolts used to anchor the shoulder piece. the top wholes left it to low so i had to re-drill them. ill fill those in later.
SAM_00062_zps992b1450.jpg

http://s1059.beta.photobucket.com/user/omni-shift/media/SAM_00072_zps946dc980.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

got me a niftly little pack of foam for a few armor pieces
SAM_00082_zpsbcb95a94.jpg

my hand plates made out of pink foam. whay waste a good color if its going to get painted over, lol.
DSCN0714_zps1a76a7b9.jpg

DSCN0715_zpsb7b9af96.jpg

my thigh piece. i had a ring of armature wire use to keep it rounded so it will hold its shape while fiberglassing.
DSCN0716_zps00f8f89c.jpg

still a little warpage but that will be fixed with some bondo. i wont be working on it till january. finals monday and wednesy im heading down to miami to stay at my dads for the holidays.

Yaaayyyy!!! Updates. Parts are looking good. Love the shoulder details.

lol. thanks. yea i know i havent had pics in awhile but photobucket doesnt seem to like me. i have 2 really easy classes for the first term and 1 class in the second term of next semester so ill have more time to finish my armor. im hoping to hoping to have in dont by early march. if all goes well ill be moving to orlando in april.

the wire with the hotmelt glue to keep the shape is a splendid idea.

thanks. i ran into a problem of it collapsing on itself with all that extra weight and i was already annoyed with all the times ive had to start over so i wasnt going to waste time and material this time around. i tried to have something on the inside but then dug. the im fiberglassing the inside. soooo, since i have a clay modeling class next semester i had bought some armature wire and it came to me.

guess whos back. back from vacation, classes started back up, and finally everything is stowed away. i had continued some work yesterday and im going to get back to it after class(in class now, lol) and i will have pictures up tonight or tomorrow.

Great idea with the wire. I wish people shared ideas like that more often. To me resining is one of the most critical stages in a build and if done wrong you can be set youreself back many hours. Any tips to prevent warping will always be appreciated.

Great idea with the wire. I wish people shared ideas like that more often. To me resining is one of the most critical stages in a build and if done wrong you can be set youreself back many hours. Any tips to prevent warping will always be appreciated.

thanks, yea it was a spur of the moment thing when i grabbed the armature wire. im gona do the same thing when i do my forearms.

With a bit of creativity the wire could be used to ensure a helmet stay in shape. Might try it myself one day.

i thought about doing that for my next helmet but not sure on which one i want to do.

Your build looks great.

thanks id have it done now but between being a full time student and 2 freelance jobs, lets just say stuff is always popping up last minute

i know i said id have some pictures up a week ago but there will definitely be up tonight.

You're build looks great so far man I absolutely love the EVA shoulder you made! Can't wait to start mine. Keep up the good work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back