First build, first printer.

Qivro

Hey all,

I plan to start printing and building stuff soon, starting with a wonderful EOD helmet I purchased from Aguilar workshop, and i am conflicted between two printers. I am stuck between the Bambu P1S and the Creality K1 Max, I have heard mixed things about the Creality K1 Max but its larger bed size compared to the P1S is making deciding between the two difficult.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)(y)

I would recommend reading through these threads:

I would recommend reading through these threads:

Thank you :)

I can throw my opinion at you for what it's worth, the p1p or p1s is going to run smoothly and not give you really any trouble as long as you maintain it which it shows you how do to, the k1 max has issues, you could probably get it running eventually but it would be much harder, and take alot of trouble shooting. Also the k1 is much louder than the p1 series im not sure if that matters to you. The size of the k1max is a huge advantage but honestly if thats what matters to you can I introduce the qidi x max3? Creality as a company generally just sucks, as well as their support team, bambus company is good and the support is good, now I am biased because I've come to hate creality and love bambu but that's my input

I've printed that same helmet earlier this year across multiple printers. In my opinion the Bambu would be the better choice. The print itself is multiple small to medium parts, depending on the scale, you would maybe only have to cut the helmet cap in half, and that's very easy to do with a program like 3D builder. Quality over size has become more important to me for 3D printing imo, and to add to what Kahn said, Creality just doesn't have the tech support that Bambu does, especially with Bambu printers gaining popularity. Hope this helps and good luck on the print!

Quality over size has become more important to me for 3D printing imo, and to add to what Kahn said, Creality just doesn't have the tech support that Bambu does, especially with Bambu printers gaining popularity.
I'd like to highlight this point a bit since I really believe this is an important bit for anyone just jumping into printing armor. As someone who's been printing pieces for a few years now, you want something that'll get the job done right the first time rather than something that you need to push to get it to where you want it to go. While Creality may be the most popular brand among hobbyists and you're likely to find lots of insightful discussion about them online, their larger printers often leave something to be desired when it comes to tuning and maintenance. You could probably get more physically done with the k1, but without the proper attention and tuning (which I anticipate will be more than what other printers require based on past replies), you'll be left with low quality stuff that'll take hours of post-processing to improve. That's not to say that the Bambu printers absolutely won't give you any issues; all printers go wrong at least once in a while. The point is to go for the one that'll go the longest without any mishaps, and between the two options, that's the Bambu. Whatever you decide on, I wish you well in getting your helmet printed!

I'd like to highlight this point a bit since I really believe this is an important bit for anyone just jumping into printing armor. As someone who's been printing pieces for a few years now, you want something that'll get the job done right the first time rather than something that you need to push to get it to where you want it to go. While Creality may be the most popular brand among hobbyists and you're likely to find lots of insightful discussion about them online, their larger printers often leave something to be desired when it comes to tuning and maintenance. You could probably get more physically done with the k1, but without the proper attention and tuning (which I anticipate will be more than what other printers require based on past replies), you'll be left with low quality stuff that'll take hours of post-processing to improve. That's not to say that the Bambu printers absolutely won't give you any issues; all printers go wrong at least once in a while. The point is to go for the one that'll go the longest without any mishaps, and between the two options, that's the Bambu. Whatever you decide on, I wish you well in getting your helmet printed!
Very well said. There can be a lot of trial and error with 3D printing, but don't get discouraged!

I'm gonna make so much stuff. Very excited.
1699251720208.png

I'm gonna make so much stuff. Very excited.
Love to see it. Treat it well, don't overwork it, and it'll treat you just as well. My advice now would be to start thinking of where you're going to put it if you haven't thought of a space already. Ensuring things like proper ventilation and ambient temperature won't be issues is a must when it comes to any printer. I look forward to seeing what comes off the assembly line first!

What filament do you plan on using, also im pretty sure yourll get a 6 month member ship with bambu and their filament is really good, plus it will be discounted cause you get 6 months free for buying a printer.

PLA is not very hydroscopic, so it does take a while for it to absorb enough moisture to mess with prints. If you're going to be using the whole roll quickly (which is easy to do when printing for cosplay), then you shouldn't really need a filament dryer right now.

I don't know the exact timeframes for PLA, but I've had rolls that were sitting out for months and still printed just fine.

should i get a filament dryer if im just printing with pla/pla+?
looking at the sunlu filadryer S2 rn.
It's not wholly necessary if you take care to store your filament in areas without too much moisture. I've found that I don't break the vacuum seal on my filament until the very moment I start to print with it, and I typically stick with that roll until it gets fully used up (which happens quick when printing armor). I also agree with what ForwardUntoDusk said; I've had exposed filament in storage for months and they've still held up when used. If you're concerned about moisture being a factor, I know there's several tutorials online of people making their own dryboxes to house filament in, so I'd look into those before committing to SunLu's stuff.

Speaking of, I have the SunLu Filadryer S1, and it's very much not worth the time or money. The quality improvement from drying it overnight has been minimal in my case, and I often get error messages which forces me to unplug/replug the dryer just to get it to start back up. I have no idea what the quality of the S2 is, and granted, this is just my own personal experience, but if the S2 is anything like the S1 then it's a pass for me.

Great choice! I’ve actually built Aguilars workshop EOD Helmet too! I’ve owned both Bamb X1C (Very similar) and K1 Max and I had a bad experiences with the K1. Speaking with others it’s like a 50/50 on positive or negative feedback. For the helmet itself please make sure to scale the helmet correctly lol I did and it’s a snug fit around the ears, the helmet looks great once it’s assembled

This thread is more than 4 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back