Foam Halo 4 Spartan Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pic Update. The thighs need a little adjustment because they keep shifting inward. Not sure how to solve but I will try something....
IMAG0355_zpsa96ecc59.jpg

IMAG0357_zpsf07420e3.jpg
Yesterday I spent most the afternoon attaching all the armor. Afterwards, I sat down to build the boots and realized it is going to take a little bit of planning to make them.... So hopefully the boots will get built tonight and I can start putting on layers of mod podge in order to plastidip on saturday.
I have to have this done before the 27th, ideally before the 26th.
T-Minus 22 days and counting...

Man that is coming along amazingly well. I'm really liking the extreme detail you have in sections like that shoulder piece. The layering work you put into it is perfect.

Man that is coming along amazingly well. I'm really liking the extreme detail you have in sections like that shoulder piece. The layering work you put into it is perfect.
Thanks a lot! There are definitely some things I don't like about it, but overall I like it.

this build looks awesome... maybe I too might try & build my next
helm with foam...:cool

Your suit looks good now but once you put plastidip on it you will be amazed by the realism it adds. I cant wait to see the finished product.

Just found this thread, everything's coming along great. Read through it all but I don't remember reading about a color scheme??? And just my two cents but while I haven't used spray cans (yet), I know when you're dealing with ceramic glazes through an airbrush, it's an actual technique to spray further away because basically the droplets are pseudo drying before they hit the surface creating that gritty texture. So I'll bet it's the same with regular paint as well. Can't wait to see more, and good luck with the speed building lol.

Your suit looks good now but once you put plastidip on it you will be amazed by the realism it adds. I cant wait to see the finished product.
Thanks! I'm so close to having the construction done!
Just found this thread, everything's coming along great. Read through it all but I don't remember reading about a color scheme??? And just my two cents but while I haven't used spray cans (yet), I know when you're dealing with ceramic glazes through an airbrush, it's an actual technique to spray further away because basically the droplets are pseudo drying before they hit the surface creating that gritty texture. So I'll bet it's the same with regular paint as well. Can't wait to see more, and good luck with the speed building lol.
I imagined it could be something like that. After the "gritty" texture happened, I did some research and found that Plastidip will make a texture if you spray it from its recommended distance of 10". Most everyone online that uses plastidip says 2-3 " away max.
Building the boot. I know most people have just made a boot to go around their foot. I am making a boot to go around my actual boot.
IMAG0360_zpse869de51.jpg
IMAG0361_zps2970cf4f.jpg

Thanks! I'm so close to having the construction done!
IMAG0360_zpse869de51.jpg
IMAG0361_zps2970cf4f.jpg

hey you might want to look into these for concealing you boot underneath the armor.

20121231-silicone-trivet_zps50c39ce6.jpg

DSC01475_zpsb9bfec04.jpg

DSC01474_zps4bbeb247.jpg

they are silicone pot holders. i am planning on using a set of them for my next set of boots.

Oh man those silicone pot holders work really well there, I think I need a couple myself. Where did you pick them up?

hey you might want to look into these for concealing you boot underneath the armor.

DSC01475_zpsb9bfec04.jpg

DSC01474_zps4bbeb247.jpg

they are silicone pot holders. i am planning on using a set of them for my next set of boots.
Oh man those silicone pot holders work really well there, I think I need a couple myself. Where did you pick them up?
I concur. The boot isn't done yet but I really like the idea of covering what small amount of string may be left visible.
I found this http://www.eggshellskitchencompany.com/products/lamson-goodnow-honeycomb-honeyspot-potholder
Walmart also carries them, but in store only

DSC01475_zpsb9bfec04.jpg

DSC01474_zps4bbeb247.jpg

This is brilliant. I definitely need to look into this!

It's good to know that info on the plasti-dip aerosol, thank you for sharing your findings! I'll probably still do some testing before the real thing, but I feel a lot better armed now. ^^ (haha! Bad pun...) :p

This is amazing work! Been waiting to get to infantryman to comment on this haha. Keep up the great work!

This is amazing work! Been waiting to get to infantryman to comment on this haha. Keep up the great work!
Thanks and congrats on infantryman!
So my wife had to have surgery today. Everything went fine but it took about 4 hours longer than expected so I am just now getting around to sealing the foam with some Mod Podge. I have painted the torso, hands, and thighs. Shoulders come next, then shins.
IMAG0367_zps21aa9ee9.jpg

Man what an epic job, not to be a killjoy but the feet on the suit don't have the hexagonal pattern. Still looks great though.

Out of sheer curiosity, why modgepodge instead of plasti-dip?

-Ryan
Good question, but I still am using plastidip. When you seal the foam with Mod Podge/ PVA glue/ Elmers white glue it helps fill in the micro pores before the plastidip ever hits it. This causes a smoother finish from the Plastidip.
Man the suit looks great! I go on vacation and miss so much lol
:)
Man what an epic job, not to be a killjoy but the feet on the suit don't have the hexagonal pattern. Still looks great though.
I wanted something interesting to cover the laces on my boots. The pattern on the boots also compliments my abdomen section and shoulders. I think assembled it'll look fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back