Halo: Combat Evolved Mk. V Build... so far (Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as you get something out of a build, its not a failure at all. I think you just need to get a feel for the foam and then you'll be golden. Keep up the good work, friend. :)

Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Wire...sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318813899&sr=8-2-spell

This is NOT an led strip. It is very thin, but super flexible and self contained. The switch does ON, OFF and STROBE. It is a piece of fiber optic cable in a blue sheath. It is very bright. I tested it in convention floor lighting and it is still bright, but not obnoxiously bright if in the dark.

Hope maybe you find this useful! Sorry to take space in your thread with another pic but I didn't want you to miss this as an option.

Only $10?! everywhere I looked it said you had to buy an EL inverter which cost about $200. How did you get past that?

Only $10?! everywhere I looked it said you had to buy an EL inverter which cost about $200. How did you get past that?

LOL I have nooo idea. I think the thing I found is completely different haha.

I did link to amazon for those that wanted to see info on it. It is not fancy by any means, just a simple piece of fiber optic cable in a colored sheath. It is self contained, some of the customer shots have people using it for TRON costumes... not bad.

I'm playing with mine right now. With shipping I paid $14. The reviews of it are somewhat accurate. There is a very, VERY faint whine when it is on and using power. It is NOT noticeable unless you hold it right to your head. Kinda sounds like a mosquito.

Fudz,

I wanted to share this with you since I know your working on the ab plate (if you haven't finished already). I was having some difficulty deciding on what to do with the blue light in the Chief's low back, and I came up with a couple of options that I didn't really like.

All I could come up with was using a blue led light strip (I don't like that because the lights are spaced out and it doesn't look right to me personally, like its not solid enough) or dremel out the pattern, put a large piece of frosted plastic behind it and try to light it up from the center ( I decided against this because it would take up too much space).

Feeling defeated, I went searching online for solid led strips and found this EL wire that I had never seen before. I bought one for about $10 and I am SO freaking happy with it! Here's a shot of what it looks like in normal-low light lit up

PF2uLl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Wire...sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318813899&sr=8-2-spell

This is NOT an led strip. It is very thin, but super flexible and self contained. The switch does ON, OFF and STROBE. It is a piece of fiber optic cable in a blue sheath. It is very bright. I tested it in convention floor lighting and it is still bright, but not obnoxiously bright if in the dark.

Hope maybe you find this useful! Sorry to take space in your thread with another pic but I didn't want you to miss this as an option.

Thats a good idea with the EL wire. That's what i did on my build. It puts off enough light to look good. check out a couple pics of it in my thread
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25086-Starting-Spartan-Mk.-V-project/page16
I just cut a hole in the back piece big enough for the wire to pass through twice and glued the wire down in that pattern and mounted the inverter to the inside of the back piece

This build is looking good Fudz!! Good call on the foam thighs!!!

Thats a good idea with the EL wire. That's what i did on my build. It puts off enough light to look good. check out a couple pics of it in my thread
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25086-Starting-Spartan-Mk.-V-project/page16
I just cut a hole in the back piece big enough for the wire to pass through twice and glued the wire down in that pattern and mounted the inverter to the inside of the back piece

This build is looking good Fudz!! Good call on the foam thighs!!!

DAMN. How did I miss your thread!!? **goes back and reads again**

Lol i thought I might have been the first to find that, now I feel even better about it that someone else used it the way I was going to. Thanks for the confidence booster !!

Finished the thighs. I think i'm getting a hang of this foam business.

6261498776_22a006e454.jpg
[/url] PA190296 by Fudz0732011, on Flickr[/IMG]

The thigh on left is my second attempt. Personally I think it's about ten times better than my first attempt. So, I have a good feeling about using the foam from here on out. More updates to come! And as always, I appreciate all the comments/support!!!

Is it bad that I keep checking this thread daily for updates to compare against mine? lol

Hope things are going good fudz. I'm so close to the strapping and padding phase I can taste it!

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Revenant1988
Not at all. Sorry I haven't been posting as much. Keeping up with school and such. Not to mention I just finished Halo: Glasslands. Awesome book! But I do have the thighs and one of the shins constructed. Paiting to come. I plan on getting the boots done this weekend.

Hope your build is coming along smoothly. The Deadline is fast approaching. I'm torn between frustration and elation ;)

@ Spartan Devastator
I'll tell you what, I'm a little disappointed I didn't try the foam out earlier. there's no fiberglass, most of it can be done inside without a respirator, and it's maybe a fourth of the price of conventional armor building methods. I'm not dissing fiberglass, but foam rocks. I really recommend it. By Sunday I'll post a few pics of my shin armor and hopefully the boots, all in foam.

But i will definitely be using foam form my mk VI suit. So yean, give it a try. Worst case scenario, you don't like it and you can go back to pep and fiberglass.

@skywalker
Hope it turns out well. The helmet is always the pivotal point in an armor build. I feel it gives the whole suit its character.

Shins are finished!!!!

6324459565_7ff5090e8e.jpg
[/url] PB080297 by Fudz0732011, on Flickr[/IMG]

6325213724_af2c125407.jpg
[/url] PB080298 by Fudz0732011, on Flickr[/IMG]

Boots, cod piece, ab-plate are the only remaining items I need to make. This will probably be my last post until Monday seeing as I have literally only a week left to finish this build. I'm loving the foam so far. Still a little shaky but painting covers up some of the minor imperfections. Hope the rest of you guys reading this and are prepping for the 15th are close to completion as well. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

Two Days! The pressure is on. As of now, I only have the ab plate with the accompanying pouches to make. Boots and cod piece are done. I have two more sets of lights to rig up and some final strapping, not to mention alot of painting, but I'm confident I'll make the monday night deadline. Here's what I've got.

6341363572_045cab3888.jpg
[/url] PB130302 by Fudz0732011, on Flickr[/IMG]

6340628499_fce57e3893.jpg
[/url] PB130304 by Fudz0732011, on Flickr[/IMG]

6341391878_aa6c643f98.jpg
[/url] PB130307 by Fudz0732011, on Flickr[/IMG]

6341408644_fc2c42fa05.jpg
[/url] PB130310 by Fudz0732011, on Flickr[/IMG]

The cod piece will be attached via a pair of black suspenders. The thighs and shins will be attached to cod piece as well.

6341348940_17237f2853.jpg
[/url] PB130300 by Fudz0732011, on Flickr[/IMG]

The boots were probably the hardest piece of armor yet. Inside of the foam boot is an old sneaker. The bottom treads were cut from thick foamies.

I'm close to being done with construction. I don't see myself painting any weathering details for tuesday. My main concern is getting the base colors down so that at the very least I'll have a "new" looking suit. Stress is building but that's half the fun ;)

I've been thinking about making some of my pieces out of foam after wearing the fiberglass thighs. I like how this is going so far, keep it up.

*Sigh*
Well... the suit pieces are complete. However, in my attempt to wear the suit I sullenly learned that I have virtually no range of motion. Because of the deadline being tomorrow night, I will be unable to make the necessary adjustments in time for Halo Anniversary :( . Not to fear though, to those of you following this thread, I will continued to post the final stages of this build. It just won't be ready for tomorrow. It sucks... really sucks... but I don't want to half-a** this project and embarrass myself in public with shoddy workmanship.

On the plus side, I'll still have the helmet to wear :), and now I have year to make it better for the Halo 4 release.

Still sucks though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back