Halo Reach Commando Helmet Build (Picture Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks buddy, I will have some soon. Hope to have the bondo & glazing (spot filler) work finished. I don’t want to rush it, because I want it perfect. I plan on carving the detail into it and using magic sculpt for the cheek & vent details as well as closing up the gaps in the visor. Thanks for checking out my build, I appreciate it.

Thanks Diaryboy. I appreciate you sharing that information with me. I’m just glad the place is only 10mins from my house, so I don’t have to pay for shipping. Also, you took on quite a challenge in completing your Armor for Miami Comic Con (Wish I could have been there). I was watching your build, looks like it was coming along nicely. Keep building DiaryBoy!

i never finished it... :( i just wore my helmet...i'm finishing for fl supercon though

dude this is turning out awesome! i really like that chopstick method you used =P. can't wait to see what you do with it! good job on the visor! i was thinking about putting the extra lines on his visor in but i thought it was too big of a risk since i have never actually installed a visor before and didn't want to risk ruining it...but you have done an excellent job sir! keep up the good work!

dude this is turning out awesome! i really like that chopstick method you used =P. can't wait to see what you do with it! good job on the visor! i was thinking about putting the extra lines on his visor in but i thought it was too big of a risk since i have never actually installed a visor before and didn't want to risk ruining it...but you have done an excellent job sir! keep up the good work!

Thanks man, I love the chopstick Idea. At first I thought I was going to have to start the pep over again, then, I found your thread a while back and saw what you did. It definitely did the trick. Also, you should give the visor detailing a try in the future. It’s not so bad, but I understand the hesitation. I created a tutorial that shows you how to do it. I would practice on a piece of trimmed visor to get the feel for it. Then, go to town. Anyways, great job on your build.

love the visor detail, i think i'll do this for the detail of mt mc helm instead of the dual visor thing

Thanks man, hopefully you find the tutorial beneficial. Yeah, the dual visor method is pretty expensive, but it does look really good and SB has a nice tutorial out there for it (I may try is sometime). If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I would love to think that I helped people in their builds. Good luck Noble1 and keep building!

great helmet so far man, the helmet is looking awesome, really can't wait to see more and keep up the great work :D

Blackula, your carter helmet is looking freaking bad ass so far, but your avatar still taunts me, you'd best finish both your recon and commando, and by that I mean paint lol to great a quality to be left naked :$

great helmet so far man, the helmet is looking awesome, really can't wait to see more and keep up the great work :D

Thanks Road Kill. I did a little more to it last night. My magic sculpt comes in today, so I can add the Detail. Thanks again!

Blackula, your carter helmet is looking freaking bad ass so far, but your avatar still taunts me, you'd best finish both your recon and commando, and by that I mean paint lol to great a quality to be left naked :$

LOL! Yeah, I need to finish it. I’m going to sculpt more detail on it this weekend and slap some paint down on the Recon when I can afford it. My Daughter just smashed her glasses to pieces, so I have to shell out $450.00 today to buy her new ones. I’ll probably finish the Recon up after the 15th (Pay Day). As for the Commando, I need to get it perfect so I can mold it. BTW, thanks for the comment & thanks for looking at my builds. Good luck on your projects!

wow helmet looks great cant wait to see more

Thank you, I’m trying. I can’t wait to finish it. Still trying to get it perfect.

LOL! Yeah, I need to finish it. I’m going to sculpt more detail on it this weekend and slap some paint down on the Recon when I can afford it. My Daughter just smashed her glasses to pieces, so I have to shell out $450.00 today to buy her new ones. I’ll probably finish the Recon up after the 15th (Pay Day). As for the Commando, I need to get it perfect so I can mold it. BTW, thanks for the comment & thanks for looking at my builds. Good luck on your projects!

I'll let this excuse fly I guess lol I'll be keep my eyes waitchin (watching and waiting) can't wait for the commando to be finished, have you figured out how you're going to seal the visor? since it's removable currently, you could cut out the shape of the visor in a sheet of card stock, place it where the visor is when in place, and measure out some epoxy putty along the gaps, that way you don't get any smudges on your visor and when the visor is placed back on, the fit will be pretty snug, justs an option

I'll let this excuse fly I guess lol I'll be keep my eyes waitchin (watching and waiting) can't wait for the commando to be finished, have you figured out how you're going to seal the visor? since it's removable currently, you could cut out the shape of the visor in a sheet of card stock, place it where the visor is when in place, and measure out some epoxy putty along the gaps, that way you don't get any smudges on your visor and when the visor is placed back on, the fit will be pretty snug, justs an option

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I know what i'm going to try, but it is more of a theory right now.

Here’s my idea:

Use a needle file to sand excess epoxy putty (Used on securing the base of the posts) right now some of the excess is too close to the top of the post and not allowing the visor to sit as flush.

Then, wrap the visor in plastic wrap and install using plastic washers (this will hold the visor against the helmet a lot better).

Then used magic sculpt to fill in any unsightly gaps.

Allow the magic sculpt to setup, take the visor back out and sand any rough spots off.

After all this, I should be able to install the visor back in with the plastic washers and there should be no gaps.

I’m pretty sure it will work. I have a test piece of visor that I will wrap in plastic first and put some magic sculpt down on, just to test if the magic sculp will bond through the plastic wrap to the visor (witch I don’t want). If that happens I may go with you card stock idea (I didn’t even think of that & it’s a good one).

Thanks man!

lol yeah normally I assume people on the site have cardstock on hand, so it eliminates a trip to the store sometimes, but yeah sounds like a legit plan, can't wait to see how it turns out

Little update

Well here is a quick progress update. I did a whole bunch of glazing to the helmet to try and smooth it further needs more. Filled the gaps between the visor with magic sculpt. Accidently used to much, so I made an elite tooth with the rest. Well, tell me what you think. Keep building 405th!

IMG_20110305_155634.jpg

IMG_20110305_155653.jpg

IMG_20110305_155643.jpg

IMG_20110305_160446.jpg

IMG_20110305_160455.jpg

IMG_20110305_160504.jpg

Oh yeah, almost forgot all this stuff arrived too.

IMG_20110304_174814.jpg

Quick couple of questions for anyone who Molds & Casts stuff. How much time do I have to use all this? I didn’t realize it would come this fast. Also, about how much Smooth Cast 320 does it take to make a helmet?

Thanks again, for viewing my build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back