Have A Question? Dont Bother With A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
some do every once in a while, once you are around for a while and contribute to the forums you will get access to the classified section.

Question? is anyone every goin to put Halo 3 odst body up on pep wiki i really want to make a full odst amor as my first set of armor.

Hey guys, I didn't want to make a single thread about this but I have a couple of questions about the Smooth Recon helmet that's floating around the site now. I've resined and fiberglassed and everything so all is good EXCEPT one thing:

Has anyone else that's made this helmet had a problem with the chin piece coming up to high? Everything else on the helmet fits me, when my head is to the top of the helmet my eyes line up with the visor area, etc. but the one thing that doesn't fit is the chin piece just BARELY goes around the bottom of my jaw and I'd like it to extend a little further so I could talk and stuff. Please tell me I'm not the only one who has this problem? If I scale it up it'll look disproportionate and would fit too big. Should I maybe just scratch build parts on the bottom to extend this part?

I was wondering how much fiberglass resin, with the mat paper (I heard somewhere I should use mat and not cloth, is this true?), and hardener I would need to complete an entire suit of armour.

These are the products recommended in the UK Product Variant section of the site.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165625

I just need to know how much I would need for a full suit so I can look at how much money that'll cost me. Me and my friend are currently looking at the budgets we want to make our armour with and this would really help us out.

Also, at which stage should I cut the visor area (from the pep stage) out and should I resin any of the visor area? (Apologies if that seems like a stupid question)

Hi, I have a question. I'm using the hot glue method to strengthen my armor, and it's REALLY messy. There are some patches where it's just a smooth surface of gluey goodness, but most of it is just a random assortment of bumps and strings. Is that normal?

Yes, that is normal. its very difficult to get it to be all smooth. Depending on where the bumps are, you can probably just leave them be. If you need to flaten them, I would suggest melting it with the tip of your glue gun and use a piece of wax paper to smooth it out without burning your fingertips.

if you're doing what I think you're doing, you have the alignment of the paper setup wrong. If you do that ALL of your pieces will be too small.

Check to make sure that BOTH
- paper size is correct ie if its setup for 8 1/2 by 11 you are using 8 1/2 x 11
- that the orientation of the paper in the part layout is the same as you are trying to print to. A lot of the time they are setup for Landscape (horizontal) and your printer default is portrait(vertical).

Sir Blood said:
if you're doing what I think you're doing, you have the alignment of the paper setup wrong. If you do that ALL of your pieces will be too small.

Check to make sure that BOTH
- paper size is correct ie if its setup for 8 1/2 by 11 you are using 8 1/2 x 11
- that the orientation of the paper in the part layout is the same as you are trying to print to. A lot of the time they are setup for Landscape (horizontal) and your printer default is portrait(vertical).

thank you :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If I can understand what you just informed me of. Than I think the rest of the world wont have a problem then. Thank you for the advice.

I have a request:

I've heard that there is a tutorial on how to manually unfold a pepakura file, I would like to see this tutorial but using the search button I've had no luck finding it. Anybody help me out if there is even one?

bobbio555 said:
Do I have to use fiberglass or can I just use the resin?

Assuming you are pepping, short answer is yes both resin and fiberglass.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gingersnapples @ Jun 21 2009, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>what is the simplest way to machine (<--spell?) armor?</div>

I'm assuming by machine you are talking about CNC'ing your armor. As for the easiest way, model each piece in CAD and take the file to your nearest Techshop or CNC miller with the material you want to mill it out of and a stack of cash. Then clean up the CNC'd piece and mold and cast your armor.

Cheers,
Kensai
Multimedia Editor - 405th Source

uhm...i was just wondering...in Pepakura...what parameters should i input so i can have a normal sized helmet...'cuz i kinda screwed with the last one...i made it HUGE!.
anticipated thanks!:D

Question:

When you sculpt the model out of clay- say, the breastplate- can you just put the fiberglass resin STRAIGHT on the clay? Do you have to create a rubber mold? Also if I did use the rubber mold method, am I using fiberglass cloth along with the resin?

Thanks

Madk91 said:
uhm...i was just wondering...in Pepakura...what parameters should i input so i can have a normal sized helmet...'cuz i kinda screwed with the last one...i made it HUGE!.
anticipated thanks!:D

Well everyone's got different proportions so in short, there is no one answer. Hence, the importance of scaling comes into play. There are stickies that document the proper way to figure out the scale in the pepakura program. As for the actual size of the pieces, abrant3 made a fantastic way of scaling that works almost everytime: Scaling. This will help you with the rough proportions. I will say now though that the usual build height (not width or depth) for helmets is anywhere between 25-27cm, give or take 2cm and depending on which helmet it is exactly that you're building (i.e. hayabusa helmet is by nature going to be a lot taller than a rogue helmet).

does anyone have Ironman obj/lwo files? All i can find is Pep files and i am looking for the obj/lwo to do some editing and adding to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back