Have A Question? Dont Bother With A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im still a noob, but here it goes again,

How do you install visors? and when do you install them in? (Before-middle-After)

Generally, Visors (here I'm assuming you mean the face shields) should be installed as the last step of helmet construction (after painting, so you don't risk messing it up), but before padding if you're going to use a permanent padding and not an insert.

You may have to trim and/or gently flex your visor to get it to fit, so treat it gently when doing so and if you have to trim do it a little at a time (if you can't mark a cut line) until it works. Most good face shields aren't cheap, so take care.

As to how, that varies. I'll let someone with experience handle that one. I'm going to see how JBWeld will work on my ODST helm after some surface abrasion, whenever I finally get around to cleaning up the cast and finishing it.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but im sorta getting frustrated over something that has to do with my sig.

I know that this isn't a guestion about armour or weapons, but im trying to get an image into my sig, something like a thumbnail, but I have no clue how. I have tryed the Image Shack banner maker, Image Shack itself, Photo gallery on these forums, Photobucket, and Flickr and nothing so far works. After messing around trying to find out how to do it I don't want to make a thread about this because Im sure it will be a wast of space, and I figured why not ask in the Q&A thread. I haven't been abled to find anything using Google, Yahoo, or the forum search function. Can anyone help me out?

CHEERS!

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but im sorta getting frustrated over something that has to do with my sig.

I know that this isn't a guestion about armour or weapons, but im trying to get an image into my sig, something like a thumbnail, but I have no clue how. I have tryed the Image Shack banner maker, Image Shack itself, Photo gallery on these forums, Photobucket, and Flickr and nothing so far works. After messing around trying to find out how to do it I don't want to make a thread about this because Im sure it will be a wast of space, and I figured why not ask in the Q&A thread. I haven't been abled to find anything using Google, Yahoo, or the forum search function. Can anyone help me out?

CHEERS!

Ok, all you need to do is find your image, then right click it and say view image, the copy the web address, then go to edit your sig on your 405th profile, then copy paste the web address and add this before it [ img ] then this after it [ / img ] but with no spaces

Last edited by a moderator:
You can upload it here also : www.aftershockcreations.com/405th

<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'>
blablabla.jpg
</div>

I'm sorry this has to be my first post, but I have to be honest and say that this thread offends me in the way that it addressess new people to the site. I just registered about an hour ago and this is in the group of the first post I have read because it's what I was asked to do as a new member. I have to say that I'm not feeling very welcome. Yes I know there are rules and I've read them and understand them. I've been waiting to register with your community for almost two months and looking forward with joy and anticipationat the thought of making my own set of spartan armour with a group of people who share that goul and interest, but now I'm an adult that feels like a child that's been told off for simply being a new member. I hope you can understand where I'm coming from and that it won't hinder any friendship with the members of this community.

Yours Sincerely Gary Colling

TheBulldog3653 said:
I'm sorry this has to be my first post, but I have to be honest and say that this thread offends me in the way that it addressess new people to the site. I just registered about an hour ago and this is in the group of the first post I have read because it's what I was asked to do as a new member. I have to say that I'm not feeling very welcome. Yes I know there are rules and I've read them and understand them. I've been waiting to register with your community for almost two months and looking forward with joy and anticipationat the thought of making my own set of spartan armour with a group of people who share that goul and interest, but now I'm an adult that feels like a child that's been told off for simply being a new member. I hope you can understand where I'm coming from and that it won't hinder any friendship with the members of this community.

Yours Sincerely Gary Colling

You should of Introduce yourself in the " Introduce yourself" topic, then people wil greet and advised you. We can't make find a way to make you feel welcome if we don't know that you're new

Okay, I've been poking around for a few weeks (Thanks for opening up registration!), and I've noticed more than a few threads mentioning "weta". I can guess from the context that this is referencing the short videos released before the abortive Halo movie, but what does it stand for/mean?

easiest solution... apply more resin on top of the fiberglass. It will eventually become very smooth. That's the biggest drawback to using Fiberglass Matt, takes more resin to totally cover it as compared to Fiberglass Cloth or Tape.

If you are only talking about a few places in the Helmet... You should have a Dremel, there's a wide variety of attachments and its not very difficult to remove a piece here or there that's sticking out with your Dremel. They make an extension piece for dremels that will let you work more freely if your Dremel doesn't fit where you need it to go.

Hello everyone, this is my first post here on the 405th and I have a question. I have looked through the possible armors i can start making for awhile before joining the 405th and I came to the conclusion that i would make the Halo 3 Marine armor found on the halo costuming wiki in the pepakura file index. Now i have been looking through the forums and i have found very little on this marine armor. My question is, is the scaling for the marine armor similar to how you scale the Mark VI armor, if it's not could someone please tell me how i should scale this armor cause it would be much appreciated.

JediLord1515 said:
Hello everyone, this is my first post here on the 405th and I have a question. I have looked through the possible armors i can start making for awhile before joining the 405th and I came to the conclusion that i would make the Halo 3 Marine armor found on the halo costuming wiki in the pepakura file index. Now i have been looking through the forums and i have found very little on this marine armor. My question is, is the scaling for the marine armor similar to how you scale the Mark VI armor, if it's not could someone please tell me how i should scale this armor cause it would be much appreciated.

Every piece of armor on this site is made to a different 'scale' BUT they are all compatible if you look past the scale. You have to look at reference pictures since that's how all of the armor on this site is made from... well some are made from action figures, but the action figures are about the same at the reference pictures. In order to scale the chest armor properly look to see how it looks in the pictures. Then measure yourself, convert that to cm/mm you will want an armor piece that all of its dimensions will fit into your measurements. Bear in mind you will lose a good cm on each side once you fiberglass/resin it. The same goes for any armor piece you are trying to fit.

BUT there is a little something you need to bear in mind when doing this... Lets say you have a larger than normal head, you may end up with a helmet that is a little larger than someone else who is your exact same height and weight.

While I've only made the Mark VI, this can go for any armor you make... I have a big head and large thighs. I had to make my Helmet several cm larger than normal for it to fit properly. I had to make thigh armor a lot larger than normal and then trim the bottom part off by a good inch or so, otherwise it wouldn't fit.

IF you are a very small frame, you might be able to get by making your armor slightly smaller than the reference pictures show.

Hope that helps simplify it a little. Marine helmets are very simple to make, I would suggest just taking a couple measurements make 1 and try it on. Remember you will have to account for all 3: fiberglass, resin AND padding.

edit: forgot to mention that when you goto the 2d menu there is an option to specify the scale. Above the scale you will see 3 lines, Height Width and Depth. You will already know your own height width and depth, add in a little margin for any padding, and the fiberglass and resin and you should be good to go. For instance if shoulder to shoulder you are 45 inches, depth you are 9 inches and Shoulder to belly button are 22 inches. And you look at the armor for it to fit ALL 3 dimensions it has to be 45 wide, 10 inches deep and 25 inches so be it. It will be custom made to fit you afterall.

Sir Blood said:
easiest solution... apply more resin on top of the fiberglass. It will eventually become very smooth. That's the biggest drawback to using Fiberglass Matt, takes more resin to totally cover it as compared to Fiberglass Cloth or Tape.

If you are only talking about a few places in the Helmet... You should have a Dremel, there's a wide variety of attachments and its not very difficult to remove a piece here or there that's sticking out with your Dremel. They make an extension piece for dremels that will let you work more freely if your Dremel doesn't fit where you need it to go.

wouldn't it make my helmet heavier...yea i think ill use cloth nex time

well its everywhere and even with the snake attachments it would be pretty hard to do....but thanks anyways sir blood

Hey guys, While reinstalling my OS for the third time this week and cutting out some pep pieces I had an ideagasm.

Perhaps this is a method already discussed but let me lay down the basics of what I came up with.

First print your pep files using normal scaling info but with an extra centimeter or a half for a bit more room.

Next, after you cut and fold all your pieces glue it backwards/insideout/whatever will make this work. Basically the end result is that you want all the tabs on the outside.

Thirdly, you add resin to the outside of your piece for the extra stability for the next step.

Fourth, with your rigid resined piece spray the inside with mold release/PAM/vasoline/generic release agent.

Finally, get some Smoothcast 300 and use the slosh technique to make a casting of the piece. After it sets up and hardens, the paper can be simply peeled away due the mold release. Then you can bondo/sand, paint, and then rawk out in your new armor!

I thought this might take a few steps out while still having a respectable and sturdy piece of armor.

Please comment as to your thoughts and if anyone hasn't tried it yet I may make a trial run on something I have lying around.

Cheers!

That's already being done ^^

Look at the e-zine. You don't need release agent, you just sand off the paper. Also, building with flaps outside is harder but doable.

I figured putting flaps on the outside would stop them from being imprinted on the cast and by adding a release agent there would be no sanding necessary. I'll check it out and thanks for the response.

Yeah well even a cast with release agent would need a bit of spot putty so you just use more with the tabs inside.

Anyway, when you put release agent, you have to clean the casts afterwards in warm water. The paper would dissolve in warm water anyway.

LastSpartan said:
Yeah well even a cast with release agent would need a bit of spot putty so you just use more with the tabs inside.

Anyway, when you put release agent, you have to clean the casts afterwards in warm water. The paper would dissolve in warm water anyway.

Since all my Mkvi parts are almost assembled I'll just continue with the spray adhesive and fiberglass mat method but I'm definatly switching over on whatever set I assemble next!

Its good to see that great minds think alike even though I didn't have sense enough to see that we even had an ezine; I just open straight to the forums and miss the front page every time lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back