Mass Effect N7 Pepakura Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks very cool! Great work on the dremel details.

If you're looking for carbon fibre, it might be easiest to go with the stickers. Have a look for people who make fake vehicle mods. Instead of creating a carbon fibre part, they'll use vinyl and cover the piece in that. 3M do produce it too, it's called Dinoc (Di-Noc). Vehicle shops should also sell the carbon fibre vinyls too.

Good luck with it!

Now that is one sweet looking build. Loving the over all look.:cool

Thanks man I appreciate that.

It looks very cool! Great work on the dremel details.

If you're looking for carbon fibre, it might be easiest to go with the stickers. Have a look for people who make fake vehicle mods. Instead of creating a carbon fibre part, they'll use vinyl and cover the piece in that. 3M do produce it too, it's called Dinoc (Di-Noc). Vehicle shops should also sell the carbon fibre vinyls too.

Good luck with it!

Thanks! That's a good idea. I'm wondering though, since the plate is curved do you think a stick on sheet will evenly apply to it?

Edit: well cars obviously aren't flat surfaces either, must be a way, thanks for pointing me that direction.

Well, people will do their car's side mirrors, and they're usually very curved. There is a tutorial of sorts where they cover a BMW (3 series?) with Di-Noc, and they just use a heat gun and gradually lift and curve the material. It seems quite flexible... I think you should be fine with it.

your stuff is turning out great! and Di-noc will work perfectly just go slow and steady and get out all air bubbles. computer modders use it a lot and it works wonders on the mice for your comp.

Mini update

There was a ton of trial and error involved in this, and I wrote it all down to post, but my post was somehow lost before it it was uploaded so sorry, if you really are curious about the steps I took to get here just ask. Otherwise I hope you think this is as sweet looking as I do.

8107672482_beeb3f899b.jpg
Default title upload by motoblur by Admiral Tiberius, on Flickr

8107670918_3f1d30e294.jpg

8107663095_bb7ccd2d8f.jpg

8107661869_a48411fb61.jpg

Edit: if you are wondering why I didn't use di noc, turns out that stuff isn't all that cheap. Too bad though it looks awesome.

Is that just fibreglass cloth? it looks absolutely sick.

Yeah It is. I just used some spray on adhesive to coat the part, then pulled the fiberglass cloth onto in. then after many coats of extremely light spray paint and a clear coat later... this is what it come out to. Thanks man, im really glad it turned out eventually (had a few mishaps!)

are you making this all in carbon? damn, are you a millionair? :p
Haha I'm glad it fooled you, but no, i'm definately not a millionair haha.

The shoulders are one of my favorite pieces of the N7 :v

Nice work, Admiral! Hackett out.

Yeah man, love the look of the me3 shoulders... just something about em'

Thanks for the compliment Admiral Hackett. Tiberius out.

Your suit looks sick so far. Great work on the shoulders. Can't believe they came out that good. The technique you have for a "carbon look" is awesome. Keep it up!

It has been far, far too long. Apologies for the lack of updates, but life happens. This project has been a heck of a learning experience to say the least, most of the time I take one step forward and at least 3 steps backward. I have redone the back of the torso 3 separate times, trying to get it just perfect, but I always fall short and am unhappy with my work. I realize that I must accept my own limitations and move on while I still have time to do so (baby on the way). With that in mind, I expect to be done in a month or so, and to kick that off, I present the nearly done Omni blade.

I was going to cast this in orange tinted casting resin, but for the reasons above, I'm just putting it together. Missing some progress pics but here it is.

I got all the paint on.
9726982929_5f39613c4d_n.jpg
IMG_20130909_212635_417 by Admiral Tiberius, on Flickr

And then assembled them. I learned that polycarbonate is hard as hell to get smooth, and that a propane torch works amazingly well to get the cut sides transparent again. I used super glue to bind sections where it was poly on poly, and epoxy to bind sections of the tool to the poly. Polycarbonate is cool and worked well, but I got way too thick of a sheet, it is really incredibly strong stuff. This process took a while to figure out because I never thought about how I would actually assemble sections before I finished. Noob mistake. I tested several configs and binders to get it right, but it turned out.... except that one part where the super glue turned white... only part where it got bad and its the most obvious... crap. Oh well.
9730213112_51cb2f92bd_n.jpg
IMG_20130911_182003_820 by Admiral Tiberius, on Flickr

I thought it was built way too small, but with it together I think it is fairly close to scale.
9730212906_5912418778_n.jpg
IMG951447 by Admiral Tiberius, on Flickr

I'm painting edges to get it a little closer to the model.
9726982647_5573282ca0_n.jpg
IMG_20130911_220455_289 by Admiral Tiberius, on Flickr

Not quite done, but just touch ups left.

Stay tuned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back