My Mark VI "Sister" Build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me, If you have made it this far, I doubt that you will lose interest in the project. If you find yourself not feeling motivated just scan the forum and look at some completed suits, and I GUARANTEE that you will be motivated to start working again…or at least that is what I do LOL

haha yeah that helps. I've been slacking lately due to a lot of school work but ill get back into it soon.

Still working?

I got pretty ticked last weekend. Left all of my armor at a buddy's house where we were resining (I live in an apartment) and his jerk of a brother all but ruined my chest piece.

I'd like to use stronger language, but....rules. So, I took a week off.

Still working?

I got pretty ticked last weekend. Left all of my armor at a buddy's house where we were resining (I live in an apartment) and his jerk of a brother all but ruined my chest piece.

That is incredibly harsh man, what a low blow. I hate hearing about stuff like this, like when darkrider9 lost his power armor pep from the rain/dew.
How did he ruin it ??? Why did he ruin it??? And please tell me you beat the snot out of him!

Wow, man, heart goes out to you, bad luck :( :( :(....

That is incredibly harsh man, what a low blow. I hate hearing about stuff like this, like when darkrider9 lost his power armor pep from the rain/dew.
How did he ruin it ??? Why did he ruin it??? And please tell me you beat the snot out of him!

Wow, man, heart goes out to you, bad luck :( :( :(....

I guess he decided to pick it up and look at it, sat it down wrong and under its own weight it tore in several places. I'll have to just use the hot glue gun tip to re-melt the ripped bits and re-pep those. Unfortunately, it's at the bottom of the back of the Mk VI, that really detailed bit.

Still working?

oh man that really stinks, im sorry. The chest piece is a pain :/, Maybe you can use bondo to fix up the places where the detail was ruined.

So I was doing my boot piece (finally) and i scaled it at around....140 mm high or so? Well, this is how small it is lol. It wouldnt even fit over my shoe! (and the shoe im wearing is VERY slim) Im goingto rescale it at around..200 mm high this next time, If anyone has successfully made the boots before some references to what height you used would be great xD

Photo202.jpg

I would strongly suggest using the depth of the boot to scale it instead of the height. Obviously, you want the boot to be the right length to fit over the shoes you're using; it will come out wide due to the design of the Mjolnir boot, and the height will be whatever it is. Basically, I'd consider height as the least important dimension when scaling the boots. Simply measure the outer length of the shoes you're using, and maybe add a cm or 2 to that and you should be good to go. Hope this helps!

aside the tiny boot it's coming along pretty well, though some parts do look tight, it's ok to ad a little bit more to the scale so you have room for padding and maybe electronics ^^

I would strongly suggest using the depth of the boot to scale it instead of the height. Obviously, you want the boot to be the right length to fit over the shoes you're using; it will come out wide due to the design of the Mjolnir boot, and the height will be whatever it is. Basically, I'd consider height as the least important dimension when scaling the boots. Simply measure the outer length of the shoes you're using, and maybe add a cm or 2 to that and you should be good to go. Hope this helps!

I dont really understand though, when you input width into pepakaru viewer, doesnt that mean the length across the small part of the shoe ? (as displayed in the pic below)
Picture5-2.png

aside the tiny boot it's coming along pretty well, though some parts do look tight, it's ok to ad a little bit more to the scale so you have room for padding and maybe electronics ^^

Thanks. I agree there should be space but I'm not good at/have no idea how to do the electronic stuff so I dont think i'll need to plan for that.

The best way to scale the boot that at least worked for me is measure the length of the shoe from toe tip to the back of the heal, convert that measurement to millimeters, then enter that measurement into the debth box, it may end up a little wide for the shoe but remember its a Spartan boot not a shoe so you don't want them to look so thin width wise, hope this helps

The best way to scale the boot that at least worked for me is measure the length of the shoe from toe tip to the back of the heal, convert that measurement to millimeters, then enter that measurement into the debth box, it may end up a little wide for the shoe but remember its a Spartan boot not a shoe so you don't want them to look so thin width wise, hope this helps

that explains it. I wasnt sure about the width part but now I get it, I'll make sure to get on it this weekend. I dont have the shoes I will be using yet, but I'm just taking a current pair and using that measurement. (Still looking for some $50- military/combat style boots that go up to ankle or so)

These are the ones I used, except obviously I found you the women's version.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Womens-Response-Boot-Black/dp/B000V2H6B8/ref=sr_1_6?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1317953151&sr=1-6

They're a 6" tactical boot I had lying around from my days of actually having a job outside of the family business. Mine are torn to heck and back look-wise, but feel amazingly comfortable.

Skipping past my story, I measured the length of the boot EXACTLY, and it worked beautifully. I think the picture is in my thread that shows the calf coming to the top of the boot. Wearing both of them together, I can assure you the 6" boot is perfect.

Mid $50 price range and it's Amazon so...FREE SHIPPING!!

Edit: They tend to run big. So, if you wear an 8, buy a 7.5

These are the ones I used, except obviously I found you the women's version.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Womens-Response-Boot-Black/dp/B000V2H6B8/ref=sr_1_6?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1317953151&sr=1-6

They're a 6" tactical boot I had lying around from my days of actually having a job outside of the family business. Mine are torn to heck and back look-wise, but feel amazingly comfortable.

Skipping past my story, I measured the length of the boot EXACTLY, and it worked beautifully. I think the picture is in my thread that shows the calf coming to the top of the boot. Wearing both of them together, I can assure you the 6" boot is perfect.

Mid $50 price range and it's Amazon so...FREE SHIPPING!!

Edit: They tend to run big. So, if you wear an 8, buy a 7.5

thanks for the link! I'll definitely look into those (its good to have reference shots of other people wearing them w/ their build.) and thankyou for the heads up on the sizing

Wow! You're doing fantastic so far, I really like your drawings too haha. I wish I could draw like that :/ It looks like this is gonna be a pretty interesting build. Keep up the good work!

Sorry for the late reply, but Hypers pretty much nailed it. All you have to do to scale the boots is measure the sole of the shoe you're using from heel to toe. You can add a cm or 2 in case you think you need it depending on how you're going to attach the armor to the show. That's pretty much it. For me at least, the boots were probably the easiest parts to scale. :)

If it helps at all, here's a view of the bottom of my boots with the shoes in. I attached them using elastic nylon straps so they are easily removable. Notice how the largest width of the armor part is much larger than the widest part of the shoe. Hope this helps.

IMG_5070.jpg

Wow! You're doing fantastic so far, I really like your drawings too haha. I wish I could draw like that :/ It looks like this is gonna be a pretty interesting build. Keep up the good work!

thankyou :)

Sorry for the late reply, but Hypers pretty much nailed it. All you have to do to scale the boots is measure the sole of the shoe you're using from heel to toe. You can add a cm or 2 in case you think you need it depending on how you're going to attach the armor to the show. That's pretty much it. For me at least, the boots were probably the easiest parts to scale. :)

If it helps at all, here's a view of the bottom of my boots with the shoes in. I attached them using elastic nylon straps so they are easily removable. Notice how the largest width of the armor part is much larger than the widest part of the shoe. Hope this helps

Thankyou for the pic, thats super helpful. I think I would like to try attaching them your way or the way I saw another 405th member (Zonbi) attaching them. She was nailing the pieces and the boots all to each-other using a flip flop sole on the bottom of the shoe she was using. It looked pretty sturdy and I dont mind sacrificing a pair of boots for my suit xD

I feel your pain when it comes to the resizing, I'm in the process of working on my third shin. It'll all pay off in the end.

Love the sketches to, they look similar to most of sketches you might find in my economics notebook....I should pay attention more.

Excellent progress though, keep it up.

I feel your pain when it comes to the resizing, I'm in the process of working on my third shin. It'll all pay off in the end.

Love the sketches to, they look similar to most of sketches you might find in my economics notebook....I should pay attention more.

Excellent progress though, keep it up.

yeees resizing is a pain. and thanks, sketching halo stuff is cool lol.
And psssh who needs to pay attention to economics..

Rescaling suuucks. I had to rescale my chest piece as well when the first one was to big. But my second one is still kinda big, however I cut the sides and am making it a little bit tighter there. Unfortunately the front is still really wide and quite long. Probably wont repep unless its a huge problem later on because the chest piece has got to be the most annoying piece ever lol :D

You cursed me. D: Maybe you could still use yours after cutting it down; I had to reduce my chest by 15% and do it again. Actually, the curse originates with my noobishness, but it's just easier to blame others.

Also: you're brave for thinking about your boots now. I'm working top-down and crossing Complicated Bridges when they come. If you're sacrificing a pair of boots, you're at least gonna go for some high-def peps, eh?

You cursed me. D: Maybe you could still use yours after cutting it down; I had to reduce my chest by 15% and do it again. Actually, the curse originates with my noobishness, but it's just easier to blame others.

Also: you're brave for thinking about your boots now. I'm working top-down and crossing Complicated Bridges when they come. If you're sacrificing a pair of boots, you're at least gonna go for some high-def peps, eh?

Yeah im still gonna use my chest piece, ive already made adjustments on the sides to make it smaller but theres no way that I can make it less wide that I know of.
Yeah Idk why im starting with the bottom and going up, I think its just cause im too lazy to deal with the helmet and shoulders atm.
I do plan on going with the HD boots. I think every piece im doing is HD, just because I dont want to go through all that work for normal pieces. I have yet to find which boots im sacrificing for the costume, but Ive gotten tons of advice/sugestions from fellow 405th members (thanks guys!) So I'll know soon enough,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back