ODST for my kids WIP Completed (more photos Page 13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice work on the pep. looking forward on seeing all come together. Now that you're kids are getting older are you teaching them how to make there own armor? just wondering?

My kids are still too young to do any armor. I don't want them to touch the toxic materials yet.

I tried to get them to work on scale models. Can't seem to get them interested. Hopefully they will get into armor making when they are old enough.

Want to see this when you get done. Love the nerf mods.

I'm kind of wondering myself. Not sure how to achieve this. More than likely I will saw off some Nerf parts and then overlay it with some cardboards. Need to do some planning.

My kids are still too young to do any armor. I don't want them to touch the toxic materials yet.

I tried to get them to work on scale models. Can't seem to get them interested. Hopefully they will get into armor making when they are old enough.

Do you know that my kids are not that interested to this kind of stuffs? but once they see the finished products they want to try to do it too.
Oh and I use smoothcast 300 to harden my stuffs. It's non toxic but stick to your skin like crazy and it give out a little smell when it start to cure

It has been a few weeks since I last posted any updates. Been busy working on several pieces.

Without further due...

Finished 2 fanny pack.
f79420e9.jpg

My eldest son will wear Dutch backpack. Here is a front view.
90678962.jpg

The back view. Because it is such a large piece, you can see some warping.
e4992496.jpg

I finished 3 gauntlets. One more to go.
2b131ff9.jpg

After the gauntlet, I will focus on finishing up the torsos using foam. Hopefully I can provide some updates next week.

Attachments

• f79420e9.jpg
    f79420e9.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 90678962.jpg
    90678962.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 169
  • e4992496.jpg
    e4992496.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 2b131ff9.jpg
    2b131ff9.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 161
Wow man, this is coming out great! I'm plannng on doing a full ODST suit so this gives me hope that it can be done, haha

Also, let me know how that Nerf mod comes out, I did an MA5B with the recon which came out well

looks awsome, i would hope your kids realise what a great dad you are putting all this time into their halloween costumes

I sure hope your kids are greatful! Making one suit is hard enoug, but two suits a year? Wow. And I think that is the first time I have seen the back pack pepped. I remember trying to do the unfold on the backpacks, I think they were the least pleasant things in the world to do the unfold on, so I can only imagine what they would be like to pep. If you want to erase the fold lines to make them smooth, just decrease your angle threshold in the options section of pepakura. That will eliminate a lot of the guesswork.

I have been impressed with some of the foam armor that were done by some members. Instead of pepping the torsos, I decided to try my hands on foam. Here is what I've done on my day-off from work.

I first draw out the pattern after sizing it. I used Hugh's torso as a guide. I fold it in half to get symmetrical cut.
Foam01.jpg

I continue to finish drawing the pattern.
Foam02.jpg

Now I cut them into pieces so I can use them as templates.
Foam03.jpg

Got the foam board out.
Foam04.jpg

All pieces cut.
Foam06.jpg

I'm using a hot solder gun to create several lines.
Foam07.jpg

Here is the result.
Foam08.jpg

Start gluing with hot glue gun.
Foam09.jpg

Almost done. Here is the back view.
Foam10.jpg

Here is my son trying it out.
Foam12.jpg

May look a little big. Need to trim the top and then add in the shoulder pieces.
Foam13.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Foam04.jpg
    Foam04.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 170
  • Foam02.jpg
    Foam02.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Foam01.jpg
    Foam01.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Foam03.jpg
    Foam03.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Foam10.jpg
    Foam10.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Foam06.jpg
    Foam06.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Foam07.jpg
    Foam07.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 165
  • Foam08.jpg
    Foam08.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Foam09.jpg
    Foam09.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 168
  • Foam12.jpg
    Foam12.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Foam13.jpg
    Foam13.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 161
I think it looks awesome. You do really good work. Also, I'm glad you have a lot of pictures, it really shows the process. Awesome job!

I sure hope your kids are greatful! Making one suit is hard enoug, but two suits a year? Wow. And I think that is the first time I have seen the back pack pepped. I remember trying to do the unfold on the backpacks, I think they were the least pleasant things in the world to do the unfold on, so I can only imagine what they would be like to pep. If you want to erase the fold lines to make them smooth, just decrease your angle threshold in the options section of pepakura. That will eliminate a lot of the guesswork.

Thanks. You have no idea how I feel. I want to make one suit only but unfortunately (or fortunately) I have 2 boys - 9 and 6. So I have no other option but to make 2 suits. It is a lot of work but the end results are definitely better than buying costumes from Wal-Mart. My wife never opposes me spending time and money on the costumes so I have no reason to stop. :)

The backpack actually wasn't well unfold. There are several areas without tabs. Because the areas are so large, some areas need braces. I'm hoping that after resin/rondo, the backpack is strong enough to carry some candies on Halloween.

On a different subject, for those with kids, do you let your kids play Halo? I don't consider it a "Mature" because there is no gore or blood like Gears of Wars. I let my kids play it because it teaches them strategy and teamwork.

both of my kids play halo and COD. I just have to teach them the different between what is right and what is wrong and leave the violence in the game and they seem to know.

I have only the torso and the SMG guns to pep. Hopefully I can finish them before the weather turns warm so I can start resin and rondo.

I always like Noble 6. So I decided to make one for myself. Just the helmet not the suit. I think it would be awesome to have a collection of helmets.
6bef76b9.jpg

Side view
5f68bbce.jpg

Trying it for size.
40290e10.jpg

On my wish list of helmets, I plan to do the rest of Noble team, Gundam, Darth Vader...

Attachments

• 6bef76b9.jpg
    6bef76b9.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 5f68bbce.jpg
    5f68bbce.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 40290e10.jpg
    40290e10.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 151
After being lazy for the past 2 weeks, I've finally finished both torsos. I like how they turned out.

One big one small for both of my boys.
2c896192.jpg

Side view and front view.
f7f52672.jpg

My kids will wear them like a vest. Here I cut a slit so their big heads can go through.
9efa7731.jpg

Starting tomorrow I will start working on the SMG.

Attachments

• f7f52672.jpg
    f7f52672.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 9efa7731.jpg
    9efa7731.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 2c896192.jpg
    2c896192.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 151
How do your kids like the foam? Will you be able to stick to foam builds in the future? It seems to be quicker and cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back