Project Exmarine To Spartan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I thought it was about time to start to give back to the 405th community by creating a thread of my build.

First off, I'd like to thank Adam for creating this website and all the wonderful pep modelers for making some outstanding models for the rest of us to enjoy. Also, I'd like to thank Thorssoli for creating such a comprehensive thread on his build, I view that coasty's thread almost daily!

I started back in February with the goal of being a full fledged Spartan in high def armor for Halloween 2008. For the reason of winning first place at my work's Halloween party. I work in the aerospace industry in Satellite EM components, so i thought Master Chief would be cool, since he's a bada$$ and space related.

Being that I'm a natural born artist, coupled with that Marine Corps can do anything attitude/attention to detail and not to mention I've done way harder pepakura before, i jumped right into doing a M6G to get into pep mode...then right into FS's Assault rifle, a brief intermission with a helmet tester then FS's final version HD helmet.

The results were fantastic:

DSC01262.jpg

I then filled the rifle with urethane foam for rigidity and started detailing it, i have yet to resin the outside. I still need to figure out what i'm doing with the hand guards...most likely some cardboard/crafty bondo sculpting.

Then day by day week by week i pep'd and pep'd...Robo's HD hand plates, Robo's HD boots, FS's HD torso, Robo's HD biceps, Nugget's HD forearms. Then i hit the HD pep wall! With no more HD things to do I decided to start fiber glassing.

DSC01273.jpg

So far i have a hand plate helmet and the torso glassed

Helmet glassed and then painted to see where i have to bondo:

DSC01274.jpg

Then added some details and bondo: (still needs lots of cleaning up)

DSC01286.jpg

DSC01285.jpg

DSC01284.jpg

Torso:

DSC01282.jpg

Sternum details:

DSC01290.jpg

DSC01287.jpg

Extended the gut plate, so i can attach it later as a separate piece:

DSC01288.jpg

Back detail planning:

DSC01289.jpg

Arm (scale looks pretty good, although i modified Nugget's forearms to bring in the flared portion):

DSC01292.jpg

Well that's pretty much it so far... I still have a long road ahead of me and about 4 months until Halloween, but thought I'd share some photos with you guys and gals. Hopefully more HD piece will come out soon, only 3 more to go!

I'm hoping to make some molds off of my finished work, but i don't know if i'll be able to prior to my Halloween goal.

Semper Fi,

The Sergeant

Kill!!!

very nice work! alot more done than i have and i have the same goal. but crap in my life keeps changing from week to week so i never have time or money to get r done.

tenacioust183 said:
Kill!!!

very nice work! alot more done than i have and i have the same goal. but crap in my life keeps changing from week to week so i never have time or money to get r done.

Thanks Devil!

Hopefully the big green wienie isn't pointed in your direction...that would suck to be shipped off to the sand box before Halloween.

The Corps will have some of the best times and the worst times of your life. I see that very clearly now that I've been out for 2 years after my 5 year stint, but i don't regret either decision going in and coming out.

Thank you everyone else for the kind words.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daaaamn, nice work I Like how you added the details on the AR... Where'd you get that pep, the only I otice is the grip and the drawn details

HaloFreakX said:
Daaaamn, nice work I Like how you added the details on the AR... Where'd you get that pep, the only I otice is the grip and the drawn details

thanks.

It's Flying Squirrels simplified assualt rifle... Robogenesis also makes a pretty good one that is probably easier to put togethor.

FS AR link all the way at the bottom of the listings http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5089

Once the rifle is made, then I draw the details on and start cutting and pushing in some panels and drilling and dremeling.

I wish an HD version would come out.

Noice work there!
And yes, I spelled it that way on purpose.
Don't, don't ask...
but yeah, good work and good luck on your build.
Did you resin it with the visor in?

randomman said:
Noice work there!
And yes, I spelled it that way on purpose.
Don't, don't ask...
but yeah, good work and good luck on your build.
Did you resin it with the visor in?

Negative, I left the visor out...but i added all sorts of extra struts to get the jaw aligned properly with the brim before i resined.

Excellent, most excellent work. This is one build that I will follow to the very end! And I love what you did to the forearms. It's too bad that I'm in the glassing stage of the forearms, otherwise I would have done the same thing :D

Ex-Marine_2_Spartan said:
Negative, I left the visor out...but i added all sorts of extra struts to get the jaw aligned properly with the brim before i resined.
Extra struts you say?
You're helmet looks very nice, so I might have to try that out...
once I get to that stage...

awesome looking work there mate!! I'm sure you'll win that competetion :).
By the way, what did you use to put the pep pieces together? Glue? tape?

Very very nice work! It's rare to see members like you with such talent and perfection. Keep us updated in your work. I especially love how you detailed the auto rifle.

i got dropped to the reserves due to injuries, i was AR. I'm hoping to be fixed and ready to ship out in december with all my buddies again. besides i think iraq might be the best place to build armor. i mean i had so much down time even after i did my PT and reading. I could build a piece at a time and ship it home...

Hey, I can already say I respect your work!

Good job on all the models, I can't wait to see what you can do with molding! (Assuming you get into that)

At any rate, I'll be watching your progress and cheering you on from the sidelines, take a big step and do a hard piece man! I wanna see what you can do!

Darke

Honor, Armor Unity
The 405th

dood this puts mine to shame but hey i am just learning good job man i really like your armor its looking great :) cant wait to see it finished

muaa said:
awesome looking work there mate!! I'm sure you'll win that competetion :).
By the way, what did you use to put the pep pieces together? Glue? tape?

I used hot glue to piece togethor the pieces... i recommend a good big hot glue gun with a trigger, don't waste your money on those tiny ones.

Thank you all.

Yes, i do plan on making molds from these pieces, but i don't know if i'll be able to get all that done before Halloween.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back