Project Exmarine To Spartan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i got quite a bit of work done this weekend. I finished glazing/sanding/painting my helmet.

They're are a few very small imperfections that i'll need to fix, but overall i'm pretty satisfied.

glazed, before wet sanding:

DSC01313.jpg

Sanded and a light coat of black paint:

DSC01319.jpg

DSC01318.jpg

DSC01320.jpg

DSC01321.jpg

Macto Cognatus said:
Keep it up dude, you ARE going to be a spartan, and btw what part are you on now?

This week I'm going to try and finish the torso. The front plate is almost complete the back plate I started to bondo.

The helmet is pretty much done, besides the visor/LEDS.

If I have time after building everything else, I'll get back to fixing some things on the helm.

Also their is a pep backlog... pretty much everything is printed out some parts cut out, i just need to build them.

man I still have a lot of work to do and not enough hours in the day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i've taken a break from fiberglassing and bondo to do more HD pep models.

Here's the progress. All that remains is one last thigh piece to pep.

DSC01322.jpg

DSC01323.jpg

DSC01324.jpg

DSC01326.jpg

DSC01327.jpg

The other shin and hand plate I'll cast to save some time.

About 3 months left until my goal, i still have lots of glassing bondoing and of course sanding to do.

Looking good man. This is coming on great! And quick! :) Kudos. I think you should leave the noob forum too. Your work is clearly a pace in front of most.

Very nice job, i think you are making excellent progress with your pepakura models, and they look nicely done.

RVB4Life Symbol of approval :D

Haven't posted in awhile... i've been busy and the clocks been ticking away... Here's some pics and brief comments from my progress thus far.

Made a mold and casted another hand plate
DSC01330.jpg

Reinforced the rifle by slushing around thickend casting resin...this makes it super strong and about the weight of a real rifle. Also i inserted the barrel, you can see it through the barrel cooling ducts.
DSC01333.jpg

DSC01334.jpg

Found some boots in my closet that will work great...I slushed casting resin around inside the calf section instead of fiberglassing, it's sooo much faster but heavier. I Still have yet to make another calf, but i'd like to just bondo the one i got done and then try make a mold and cast it.
DSC01335.jpg

Various pieces i reinforced with casting resin.
DSC01336.jpg

DSC01337.jpg

Last 2 pieces i need to back with fiberglass or casting resin
DSC01338.jpg

It's almost October and I have a boat load of bondoing to do! I'm going to try and work on it everyday after work and the weekends. I'd hate to have to skimp on details but i may have too.

Well do what you can for this halo-ween and improve it later for the next one ;)

Looking great, and I love casting resin too! Is it Smoothcast300?

LastSpartan said:
Well do what you can for this halo-ween and improve it later for the next one ;)

Looking great, and I love casting resin too! Is it Smoothcast300?

Yeah that's probably what will end up happening.

No it's the cheaper Aeromarine casting resin from JGreer.com

The stuff works great though!

Looking good.
Neat to see the slush casting idea being used more on pep. Really glad to see it worked.
Just to ask on the process:
1st you "paint fg resin on outside
2nd you slush casted

did i get this right?
Good work there!

JediStumpy said:
Looking good.
Neat to see the slush casting idea being used more on pep. Really glad to see it worked.
Just to ask on the process:
1st you "paint fg resin on outside
2nd you slush casted

did i get this right?
Good work there!

Thanks, yes i do a quick generous coat of fiberglass resin on the outside, so the pep keeps it's shape and will not leak.

Then I pour in some thickend casting resin and slush it around. I used microspheres and milled fiber to thicken it up.

It's a lot less messy, not as toxic and much quicker then waiting for the FG resin to set up.

I'm going to go reinforce the thighs right now.

Great work, hope you can get it all done by the 31st. I love the assault rifle you made, i think i'll try again to make one but this time from FS pep.

hmmm *pondering thought* I just checked and there now is a high definition assault rifle available. I'll just try and find out who created it (scaled and everything!). I assembled one but i didn't like it that much because it was actual master chief size and it was quite hard to fold the detail in. I would rather just add the detail with good ol' bondo, thats why i'm springing for FS assault rifle.

I thought this might help some people that are striving for accuracy...

Today i printed out lots of reference pictures and i started to notice some details or things that didn't look right with certain pep models.

THIS IS NOT to step on anyones toes or point the finger, just to help those that may want to add more detail/accuracy to their armor that was not modeled in the pep file.

Here are some adjustments in sharpie pen, before I add the details (I'll be having a massive bondo-a-thon)

space diaper:
DSC01339.jpg

DSC01340.jpg

top of back piece near neck seal:
DSC01343.jpg

DSC01342.jpg

gut plate:
DSC01344.jpg

thigh:
DSC01347-1.jpg

DSC01348-1.jpg

DSC01349-1.jpg

Shin
DSC01350-1.jpg

DSC01351-1.jpg

DSC01353-1.jpg

boots:
DSC01354.jpg

DSC01355.jpg

hmm, slushcasting inside of a pep instead of glassing...
you noted that it's faster, cleaner and less toxic, albeit heavier, but how is the strength of the piece?
Also, it's all looking very good.
Good luck with your bondo-thon lol

Again, very outstanding work. I think when you finish you'll have one of the best looking suits here, no joke.

May I ask you a question that's kinda random? What scale do you have your boots at and what size footware are you?

randomman said:
hmm, slushcasting inside of a pep instead of glassing...
you noted that it's faster, cleaner and less toxic, albeit heavier, but how is the strength of the piece?
Also, it's all looking very good.
Good luck with your bondo-thon lol

It's strong...very strong if you have a thick enough coat on the inside. There have been numerous casting resin strength testing videos on here, like people sitting on parts or dropping them...not a dent.

BlacRoseImmortal said:
Again, very outstanding work. I think when you finish you'll have one of the best looking suits here, no joke.

May I ask you a question that's kinda random? What scale do you have your boots at and what size footware are you?

I have since cleaned my pepping area, but after some digging, I found them... 15.7cm for the boots

I'm a size 10 regular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back