Saber's Second Project- Agent Texas Style! (PIC HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys!

It's 57 degrees outside, no clouds and it's good enough weather to get stuff done! And it's going to be like this for the next week!!!! :D
So you get a small tribute of pictures!

I knew since the weather was not quite at the temp I wanted it to be, I just worked on something small.
Here is the first layer of resin applied to the combat knife.

photo8.jpg

It's still tacky after two hours of sitting in the sun so tomorrow when I add the second layer, I'll add some more hardener.
I plan on rondoing tomorrow if the second layer of resin cures faster like I want it.
I've never rondoed anything before, so I'll have to get to reading on the forums. If anyone with experience with rondoing has some tips and would like to share them with me, that would be greatly appreciated.

I also got more sanding done on the shin piece that's been sitting in the shed all winter.

photo7.jpg

I couldn't find the battery pack and charger for the mouse sander so I had to hand sand. Didn't get a lot done, but it's enough to show a pic. If I have enough time tomorrow (and if I can find the stupid battery...) I'll get some more touch-up bondo on the second shin and get more sanding done on that as well.

That's all I got for you guys! Yay for incoming Spring weather!
Take THAT Mr. Groundhog! :p

Stay Frosty, 405thers!
-Alexis

Its 57 degrees by you?! Jees I am jealous. I kinda have to put my project on hold now because of how cold it is up here!
The combat knife looks great as does the shin'

Also im stealing your idea from earlier in your thread about using booklights for lighting up pieces. im not really a techy person who can wire things into lights and leds and such lol.

Yeah! It's great!
The temp doesn't stay that high for long, though. It'll get to that temp around 1 and then it'll start to cool down to nearly freezing. Not a very big production window, but it's better than no time at all.

And that's perfectly okay with me!
And if you're looking for plastic to cover the light holes, use the packaging! haha Then you can fog it up by putting a little dab of hotglue on the plastic and then smear it across it with your finger.

Yeah! It's great!
The temp doesn't stay that high for long, though. It'll get to that temp around 1 and then it'll start to cool down to nearly freezing. Not a very big production window, but it's better than no time at all.

And that's perfectly okay with me!
And if you're looking for plastic to cover the light holes, use the packaging! haha Then you can fog it up by putting a little dab of hotglue on the plastic and then smear it across it with your finger.

I'm actually doing a method where I put a piece of tape on the outside of the hole where the light will shine through, and then fill it up the hole with some hot glue from the inside. It diffuses the light pretty nicely from what I have seen.

The knife is looking good! Must be frustrating to have outside temp go above freezing, but not quite high enough to cure the resin properly. Up here the only time is goes above freezing is when it rains on the snow. Have you thought about using a hotbox outside? It would help you get a few extra degrees on your resin.

I'm actually doing a method where I put a piece of tape on the outside of the hole where the light will shine through, and then fill it up the hole with some hot glue from the inside. It diffuses the light pretty nicely from what I have seen.

Thorsolli did basically the same as you, but with clear epoxy instead of hotglue. I like your hotglue idea better, much easier to change the light if ever it breaks.

The knife is looking good! Must be frustrating to have outside temp go above freezing, but not quite high enough to cure the resin properly. Up here the only time is goes above freezing is when it rains on the snow. Have you thought about using a hotbox outside? It would help you get a few extra degrees on your resin.

Thorsolli did basically the same as you, but with clear epoxy instead of hotglue. I like your hotglue idea better, much easier to change the light if ever it breaks.

yeah plus I looove hot glue :p

Everything looks very well done! I love the combat knife and the pistol! Your work just inspired me to make a combat knife and pistol! Haha

Good luck on your build!

Annanymous: Ahhh... Very clever! I may have to try that out if I forget to keep the packaging when installing my LED's!

Nessy: Yeah, I kind forgot I had the curing box, but it's holding all of my stuff right now in my closet so I would have a HUGE mess in my TINY room and my parents would not be too thrilled if I couldn't even get to my bed because I had pepped pieces all over my floor.

Aero: Thanks for your support!

So I've gotten more done today. Not as much as I had planned, but hey, it's better than not getting anything done at all.
Yesterday, I couldn't do ANYTHING because I had an appointment with my Optometrist. If you guys don't know what that is, an Optometrist in an Eye Doctor. I had a check-up and my eyes had to be dilated. Freakin' sucks cuz I forgot I had the appointment and I had a whole schedule planned for cosplay production and I couldn't even stand in the sun cuz my eyes were too messed up.
Here's my half-way dilated eyes.
When they were fully dilated, I looked like Chancellor Adam Sutler from the film V for Vendetta. :p
photo9.jpg

Anyway, on to the progress! haha
I got the second coat of resin on the combat knife and I got one layer of resin on the AR. I added extra hardener (about three more drops) and it still didn't cure as fast as I wanted it to so both the combat knife and the AR is sitting in the laundry room. It's warm and no one goes in there so it should be safe for the night and then I'l air it out tomorrow before I get to class.
photo11.jpg

photo10.jpg

Next up, I got more bondo applied to the shin. I'm using my good ol' painters tape trick and it's working perfectly.
photo12.jpg

photo13.jpg

As for sanding, I have a mix of good news and bad news.
Good News: I found the battery and charger for the hand sander.
Bad News: The battery isn't charging because the stupid shed has issues about retaining moisture and the dampness in the shed corrupted the battery. :(

So until I (or my dad) buys a new battery, I'll be hand sanding. *cries*

I'll hopefully have more for you guys and gals later on this week. Got a full college schedule this week.

Till then!
Stay Frosty, 405thers!
-Alexis

Looks great! working faster than I am. :p what is the "painter's tape trick"? and wow, that sucks about the sander, lol it takes fooorrreeeevvveerrr to sand by hand. :( good luck!!

My "painters tape trick" is really simple.
There are some embossed details on pep files that are left out. For example, the shin has detail all around that was left out.
So how do I create those details? Bondo. But how do I get it to the exact shape I want without having to hack away at the piece with a dremel? Painters tape!

First, I draw the details that I want to add onto the piece.
Second, I take painters tape and line the outer edges of the detail, making sure the edges are completely flat.
Third, I add the bondo. I'm pretty generous with the adding of the bondo because after you add the bondo, you have the take the tape off. If you don't you've bondoed the tape to the piece and it won't come off.
And since the edges have already been shaped out with the tape, all you have to do is smooth it out by sanding the top.
It's super easy and I love doing it because I get the details I want.

-Alexis

Nice. I'll be sure to keep this in mind, I'm using a tonka truck load of Bondo on my helm XD dang,it's hard getting it EXACTLY right lol but I want it that way. Hazop is somethin you can't mess around with, you make it, it has to look good lol thanks Saber! good luck on all this, it looks really good!

No problem!
And wow. Thas a lot of bondo. Haha Good luck getting it perfect! Haha

And thanks!

-Alexis

hmmm, they all say I need to use that on my helmet before i go further. feel free to post your thought on it. :p since you've made a helmet. :p

If you feel you should use spot-putty, go ahead and use it.

On my first helmet, I didn't even bondo. I just sanded off the resin globs and painted. You could see the pep lines and everything.

But as for my new suit, I've been bondoing everything and haven't needed to use spot putty. If there are little spots that need filling, I just bondo over it and sand it down and repeat from there.

I don't plan on using spot putty whatsoever.

So there's my input. haha

-Alexis

Hey guys and gals,
Quick offering of photos!

Got rondo in the combat knife and it's already cured (as of last night)!
Here are the inconspicuous holes I cut into the sheath and blade to dribble the resin/bondo mixture into.
photo14.jpg

photo16.jpg

And here is the two sitting outside and curing with tape over spots where I found the rondo dripping out.
photo15.jpg

Now it's a matter of sanding, bondo, and painting before it's finished! Save for the magnets.

Till next time!

Stay Frosty, 405thers!
-Alexis

Wow, lots happening since I last checked in. How well does the combat knife fit into the sheath? You are going to have a arsenal of excellent weapons ready to go when your suit gets strapped together. How are you going to choose which to pose with first? Pick out of a hat? Online poll? Or just hold them all at once for the first photos with the finished armour? All the choices.... lol

I love your tape and bondo method. I must remember that for when I get to that point with my armour and I have to add details.

Sorry to hear about the battery, is there any chance that it could be covered on warranty? Most tools are covered for a few years, though the battery isn't always covered. Still, might be worth looking into.

Nessy:
It actually fits into the sheath quite nicely! There's some glue on the edge of the blade that makes it semi-difficult to get it moving but once it starts movin', it'll move all the way without getting caught. A bit of sanding should fix that.

As for posing for pics, I figured I'd have them all at once. The suit's gunna be riddled with magnets so I could have one or two out and the other(s) would be hooked up to the suit. I have so many pose ideas now, I can't wait till this thing is finished! haha

I love my tape and bondo method too! I'll be sure to troll you some when you get to the bondo stage. :p

My dad has had this hand sander for a few years now and I'm pretty sure the battery doesn't fall under the warranty. I'll have to travel to Sears or Lowe's or Home Depot to find a new battery because I don't know how patient I'll be when I get to the mass sanding. haha

-Alexis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back