Second try at Master Chief! Fingers crossed [Pic Heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Second try at Master Chief! Fingers crossed

Looking forward to doing a bit of resining tomorrow if the rain stays off. Bit unsure about the mix ratio because the resin hasn't got instructions. I've been looking around and read that it's 2% hardener and 4% in cold conditions. I've got mixing cups, paper suit, respirator and no idea on what I'm doing.... should be fun. Gonna wing a test mix so I can gauge ;)

Looking forward to doing a bit of resining tomorrow if the rain stays off. Bit unsure about the mix ratio because the resin hasn't got instructions. I've been looking around and read that it's 2% hardener and 4% in cold conditions. I've got mixing cups, paper suit, respirator and no idea on what I'm doing.... should be fun. Gonna wing a test mix so I can gauge ;)

I used Bondo brand Fiberglass Resin and the ratio was 10drops per 1oz resin. I ended up doing 16drops per 2oz resin instead. That's just to give you an idea because without knowing what resin you have then it's probably not best to give you numbers lol. And it is pretty fun. (and also terrible) If you haven't watched Cereal Kill3r's Youtube videos yet I would give those a quick run through. Might take 30 minutes, but could save you time and $$ :D

Yea the sizing is still.pretty tricky, I had to watch a couple vids and read through some forms, each piece needs to be fitting individually based off your measure ments best thing I did was print a page where MC was in the michangelo pose legs apart hand up and measure where the pieces lay on MC. Then measure that distance on my body. Input the numbers in mm and do the measure the distance on the pepakura ( on paper side right click scroll to bottom of the box that appears should be labeled *measure distance* and keep adjusting the height and width as need. It can be tricky, even after all that may need to adjusted for custom fit

Well, I myself watched some videos and read few threads here on scaling and with my Scout GEN2... none of these helped. XD I had to learn myself by errors.

I think the best approach for sizing is for us builders to simply put our own body measurements in our thread in the first post (within reason...basic height, length of arms/legs, size of head) and just put the files we use and the scale we set them at. That way others will be able to have a starting point and will know where to go with their own. In my humble opinion that is. I see too many times later in threads about "what scale did you use." It's something we can do to help each other out and is the easiest to do. And if you don't have a scale yet, just come back later and edit the post with the final scale you use.

I used Bondo brand Fiberglass Resin and the ratio was 10drops per 1oz resin. I ended up doing 16drops per 2oz resin instead. That's just to give you an idea because without knowing what resin you have then it's probably not best to give you numbers lol. And it is pretty fun. (and also terrible) If you haven't watched Cereal Kill3r's Youtube videos yet I would give those a quick run through. Might take 30 minutes, but could save you time and $$ :D

Yeah, I watch his videos nearly everyday. I feel 51% prepared lol.

Yea the sizing is still.pretty tricky, I had to watch a couple vids and read through some forms, each piece needs to be fitting individually based off your measure ments best thing I did was print a page where MC was in the michangelo pose legs apart hand up and measure where the pieces lay on MC. Then measure that distance on my body. Input the numbers in mm and do the measure the distance on the pepakura ( on paper side right click scroll to bottom of the box that appears should be labeled *measure distance* and keep adjusting the height and width as need. It can be tricky, even after all that may need to adjusted for custom fit

Thanks buddy. I'll give it a go on my next build :)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I myself watched some videos and read few threads here on scaling and with my Scout GEN2... none of these helped. XD I had to learn myself by errors.

One of the best ways of learning is trial and error in my opinion. It's just lucky I love pepping lol

I think the best approach for sizing is for us builders to simply put our own body measurements in our thread in the first post (within reason...basic height, length of arms/legs, size of head) and just put the files we use and the scale we set them at. That way others will be able to have a starting point and will know where to go with their own. In my humble opinion that is. I see too many times later in threads about "what scale did you use." It's something we can do to help each other out and is the easiest to do. And if you don't have a scale yet, just come back later and edit the post with the final scale you use.

That's a damn good idea!!! I'll work on mine when I get 5 mins to myself today..... kids are bugging me to get the Chistmas Decorations up :)

Well the resin session was rained off again... so I carried on with my forearm pep....

20151206_235834.jpg

Attachments

• 20151206_235834.jpg
    20151206_235834.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 120
That sure is some clean pep work there. When you do get to doing the resin just please use caution to not use too much on the outside to ruin all that great detail work you have done.

That sure is some clean pep work there. When you do get to doing the resin just please use caution to not use too much on the outside to ruin all that great detail work you have done.

Why thank you sir... don't worry, my plan for the first coat of resin is to just make the surface look wet. I got smaller brushes too so I can get in all the details. And..... I have a couple of scale test forearms I can practice on first ;). I never throw anything away these days lol

Howdy folks.... well I'm back after the 'Force Awakens' break I had. After seeing the movie multiple times I thought it was time I got back to my Halo project. I'm now on the UD Bicep by Robotchicken. Man... this file is real awesome and hard. Here's where I am so far....

20151220_225246.jpg

Attachments

• 20151220_225246.jpg
    20151220_225246.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 122
I can't even imagine how intense it must have been folding all that. But it looks great. I was also worried at what it might look like with the numbers printed on it versus doing it without them. From what I can see it shouldn't be an issue overall with the numbers, or even perhaps just select what page I'd want to print and opt to remove the numbers for the smaller parts.

But keep on pushing. I was wondering where you had been lately. I'll be seeing it next week on the 28th. I just wanted the crowds to die down somewhat.

Thanks man. Yeah, I accidentally printed them with the numbers after being used to working without but it's all good now I'm a little more experienced.

I get really nervous and tense when a new Star Wars film comes out.... especially when it's not been made by 'the maker' himself. Think I got more stressed about that then Christmas lol.

"especially when it's not been made by 'the maker' himself"

I'm not too sure about 'the maker' ever since he stands behind making the change that Greedo shot first instead of Han. Let alone some of his other arguable changes, and don't get me started on Episodes 1-3. But as long as they are received well by some, who am I to try to change their minds. Entertainment is entertainment.

Did you ever get to resin? Or has the weather been too poor for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back