Tarchinoko's Odst Wip (Pic Heavy On Multiple Pages)

Status
Not open for further replies.

golem95

*sniff* I love the smell of fresh armor in the morning.

Hey guys im new to this forum and Ive just tried building my first piece of armor, I think everything is going well for my first piece!

Lemme introduce myself first, I'm from Hong Kong but currently go to boarding school in England. Ive always been very interested in building models and collecting costumes, the costume part really only came in a few years ago and since then I have amassed a sizable collection of props helmets masks etc. Only recently I found pepakura and this forum and because of seeing many people being able to create amazing pieces from home, I've been inspired to try it myself.

Enough introductions, Here are some pics:

Note: too see full detail make sure to view image at 100%

These first 3 pics are of the chest plate after sanding down the first layer of filler

SSL29013.jpg

SSL29014.jpg

SSL29015.jpg

These next ones are after I had put the second layer of filler in.

SSL29017.jpg

SSL29018.jpg

You can see that a lot of the holes and cracks are filled without sanding this second layer.

These 2 are after sanding the second layer.

SSL29019.jpg

SSL29020.jpg

as you can see in the close up image there are still some pot-holes and I will be cleaning them up soon.

SSL29021.jpg

This last image shows where Ive circled some of the problematic areas.

Critique and comments are welcome. :)

Alex spartan177 said:
Really Good job dude.

Thanks, I've seen your ODST wip. Have you made any pieces fully yet? If so I'd love to see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I plan on doing everything at the same time.

Right now Im just trying to pep everything, sometimes pep is a pain-in-the-ass when you are trying to do a whole armor at once.

Alex spartan177 said:
No, I plan on doing everything at the same time.

Right now Im just trying to pep everything, sometimes pep is a pain-in-the-ass when you are trying to do a whole armor at once.

Ah yeah, I tried doing that last summer and eventually I scrapped half a pepped suit cuz I was so terrible at resining. This is my first build since then.

tarchinoko said:
Ah yeah, I tried doing that last summer and eventually I scrapped half a pepped suit cuz I was so terrible at resining. This is my first build since then.

Then how did you resin this piece???

Alex spartan177 said:
Then how did you resin this piece???

I got some tips from a sculptor friend of mine, my resin was way too runny and wouldn't stay on the very edges. He told me that if I added filler to the resin then it would be more viscous without taking away from the strength too much. So I went out and bought plaster, mixed it with the resin and it worked much better, no warping and less build up of it in areas.

tarchinoko said:
I got some tips from a sculptor friend of mine, my resin was way too runny and wouldn't stay on the very edges. He told me that if I added filler to the resin then it would be more viscous without taking away from the strength too much. So I went out and bought plaster, mixed it with the resin and it worked much better, no warping and less build up of it in areas.

Oh, Ok dude.

Im gona do that when I resin xD

Oh if you guys are wondering what I used as filler I used this:

SSL29016.jpg

Im not sure how much is in this can, it says 1 KG of material. Its some kind of wood workers putty, It smooths amazingly well and sands really well. Only about $6 a can!

Alex spartan177 said:
Oh, Ok dude.

Im gona do that when I resin xD

okay but id test the plaster method on a lil bit of resin first cuz im not sure if you got same kinda resin, for the layers I tried to get it at a peanut butter like texture.

tarchinoko said:
Oh if you guys are wondering what I used as filler I used this:

SSL29016.jpg

Im not sure how much is in this can, it says 1 KG of material. Its some kind of wood workers putty, It smooths amazingly well and sands really well. Only about $6 a can!

Dude are you really from hong kong???

Schaeden said:
chest piece looks great! cant wait to see it painted!

its atleast another 40 min away from being fully filled and sanded :eek , then im going to mold and pull a cast and paint the cast probably, but will post pics then. :D

tarchinoko said:
its atleast another 40 min away from being fully filled and sanded :eek , then im going to mold and pull a cast and paint the cast probably, but will post pics then. :D

Awesome dude, I hope you make a run of this.

Ill definitely have it molded by Monday not sure when ill get a cast out though.

Up next is the hip plate currently in pep stage:

P1000234.jpg

Sorry about the bad quality

tarchinoko said:
Ill definitely have it molded by Monday not sure when ill get a cast out though.

Up next is the hip plate currently in pep stage:

P1000234.jpg

Really good dude, you work hell-a-fast.

Right now Im pepping an ODST Forearm hope to finish be tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back