Tjx62's Custom Reach suit WIP (Uber Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On you're cod it is possible to cut out 4-6 inches in the over all fit. Cut it at the longer straights you can get about 1-2 inch near the pouches alone. (It's what I did with mine.) Other than that you're pep work looks great.

On the codpiece what were you measuring from, width or height? Somewhere around here is a thread by HaloGoddess, and it provides some great references for what dimension you want to measure when scaling, and it has saved me quite a bit of time.

@odst.fng: Thanks and don't worry, any kind of input is appreciated. Yea i was thinking roughly the same thing, so I took in about an 1 1/2 inches. Hopefully once I get some more cardstock (already went through a ream -_-), I can get back to work. Lol, great to hear I'm not alone up here in N. GA. If you know of any cons around here besides Dragon Con, don't be shy to send me a PM.

@Thron696: Thanks for the idea, but I'm gonna repep it for right now. Not because of scaling issues, but because some of the tabs near the the front won't keep together properly and it'll bug if I keep them that way.

@HcoJustin: I was measuring for width using HaloGoddess tutorial (thats what I've been using on all the pieces). Using it has been getting me roughly the proper measurements, then from there, I modify whichever interval I used before to zero-in the scale of the piece.

I honestly don't mind the pepping all that much. I'm a glass half full kinda guy, so i see it as knowing how to put the piece together better. While at the same time, still practicing pepping.

@Thron696: Thanks for the idea, but I'm gonna repep it for right now. Not because of scaling issues, but because some of the tabs near the the front won't keep together properly.

@HcoJustin: I was measuring for width using HaloGoddess tutorial (thats what I've been using on all the pieces). Using it has been getting me roughly the proper measurements, then from there, I modify whichever interval I used before to zero-in the scale of the piece.

I honestly don't mind the pepping all that much. I'm a glass half full kinda guy, so i see it as knowing how to put the piece together better. While at the same time, still practicing pepping.

Ahh well best of luck to you! I sized my cod wrong the first time too :$

This is not so much an update, but an announcement. On Sundays, at around 6Pm EST, I'll be doing some work on some side projects I've been working on live on stream. These range from personal projects to commissioned work and are not always halo orientated. The first half usualy lasts about an hour and a half and I usually play a game afterwards. If anyone wants to see new person work on props or just wants to pop in to chat with people, Please feel free to stop by. You can find me HERE.

As for the suit, I picked up some more cardstock paper yesterday and I'm back to work on the cod piece.

Alright, finally got done with the cod piece in between school and work. I like this fit much better and I think after hardening it will fit fine. Anyways, on to the pictures!
th_SANY1267.jpg th_SANY1268.jpg th_SANY1269.jpg th_SANY1270.jpg
I would have put the shins on, but I was having enough trouble as it was with the thighs lol.
Thats not the only thing I've been working on though. I've started making my weapons as well. Heres the start of the Kukri blade (handle is already pepped out).
IMG_0201.jpg
IMG_0202.jpg

The second picture is the edge of the blade, but it came out a bit fuzzy.As well as the kukri, I started working on my sliced M6G Magnum.
IMG_0203.jpg

So far all that is been assembled is the magazine, trigger and the data link module. Progress will be slow for the next few weeks do to financial issues, but hopefully I'll be in full swing again by the end of this month! As always, any kind of pointers or constructive criticism is appreciated.

Another update: I'm still out of printer ink, so no pep work has been done lately. :( On the bright side though, I have been doing more work on the Knife and Magnum. I really like the way they came out, especially the Kukri.
IMG_0204.jpg

That was the first magnum I did, and well, it was way too thick. I miscalculated and used 1/8 inch board instead of 1/16. However, I eliminated some of the sliced peices and was able to get the proper thickness. (Pic one is of the first magnum. Two and three are of the second one.)
th_IMG_0205.jpg th_IMG_0207.jpgth_IMG_0206.jpg

This week I hope to get the knife finished and then start working on either the sheath or, if I get more ink, some hand plates and forearms.

Awesome !
I noticed you are really a perfectionist , saying you were sloppy ,
but as it is said , i will say it once more :
The pep's look great !
And yeah , the belt is . . . a bit too big . . .
Overall , i think this will turn out perfectly !
Happy buildin' !

Awesome !
I noticed you are really a perfectionist , saying you were sloppy ,
but as it is said , i will say it once more :
The pep's look great !
And yeah , the belt is . . . a bit too big . . .
Overall , i think this will turn out perfectly !
Happy buildin' !

Thank you, I really appreciate it! I really am I perfectionist and I don't mean to put off or offend anyone when I say my work is sloppy. I keep forgetting this is the first stage, and any details I mess up or miss in here can be fixed in bondo. I am getting better about not being so hard on myself though lol. yea, I still need to bring the cod piece in about 1/2 an inch so. Hopefully then it will be ready for resin!

I wasn't thinking you was putting off someone or offending :p
'' I keep forgetting this is the first stage, and any details I mess up or miss in here can be fixed in bondo. ''
is what i meant !
this is really going to be a great build !
really , don't be hard on yourself ! about the cod piece , i think it looks fine , doesn't it?
Happy Buildin' !

You are in inspiration to me, the pep work is perfect! I'll be watching your progress.
Best luck to you!

Where did you get the Thigh from I was looking through some of the models and while completely awesome some seem to be missing the Inner thigh part that yours has just wondering.

@OldFox: Thank you! I'm glad I could inspire you! Your GreyFox helmet is coming along nicely btw.
@Thorn696: Thanks!
@joemc81: The thigh peices I got are from Forged Reclaimer. Here is a link to his files http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31200-quot-Halo4-quot-ForgedReclaimer-s-Pepakura-Database?highlight=forged+reclaimer My suggestion for building the thighs is to start from detail with all the little ridges, build all the way to the top and bottom of that section and then work on the sides. I find that to be the easiest way to pep it.

@OldFox: Thank you! I'm glad I could inspire you! Your GreyFox helmet is coming along nicely btw.
@Thorn696: Thanks!
@joemc81: The thigh peices I got are from Forged Reclaimer. Here is a link to his files http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31200-quot-Halo4-quot-ForgedReclaimer-s-Pepakura-Database?highlight=forged+reclaimer My suggestion for building the thighs is to start from detail with all the little ridges, build all the way to the top and bottom of that section and then work on the sides. I find that to be the easiest way to pep it.

Thanks a bunch

I'M NOT DEAD YET!

Well do to school finishing up and work, I've had almost no time to myself. Now that the bulk of my school work is done, I can get back to working on my suit again. Not wanting to give you guys some small, lame update, I went ahead and knocked out 5 more armor pieces. Both my hand plates, both of my forearms and the breacher attachment for my wrist. Hopefully updates will be a little more frequent than once a month, but enough chatter. On with the pictures!

To start off here are the hand plates that I did. Not too bad for my first jump back into pepping if I do say so myself lol.
th_2011-11-2618-45-17533.jpgth_2011-11-2618-45-34275.jpg

Next up was the forearms. The scaling was a lil funky on these, but i think it looks good now. I can just squeeze my hand through the wrist opening, but the length looks good which is the main thing.
th_2011-11-2618-44-11237.jpgth_2011-11-2618-44-20459.jpgth_2011-11-2618-44-29220.jpgth_2011-11-2618-44-53173.jpg

After those I was still itching to pep something out and test some video techniques, so I said "Why not knock out the wrist piece?" Printed out just the base and the shell holders. I plan on using blanks in the holders instead of pepping them out.
th_2011-11-2618-42-52127.jpgth_2011-11-2618-43-37482.jpgth_2011-11-2618-47-19948.jpg

Here is all of the pepped pieces together, as well as me wearing the forearm/breacher with the hand plate. The hand plate may look a little big, but I do plan on using some decently sized gloves which will make them not look as big.
2011-11-2618-46-38243.jpg
2011-11-2619-32-01815.jpg
2011-11-2619-33-27001.jpg

Next up will mostly likely be a helmet because i have something special planned coming up ;). Stay tuned and thanks for looking!

P.S. - Here is a stop motion video I made of me pepping the breacher. I did this mainly as a practice for a later project, but I think it still came out well. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlQnJLQ5RC0

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back