Torsoboy "we Are Odst" Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

torsoboy

I've been holding off on posting photos of this project for a while because I wanted to get to (more or less) a final stage on it before making a thread. This helmet started off as the lower-resolution ODST pep file (the one with the reduced detailing). During the pepakura stage, I made several modifications to the base model to change it to the Legacy Effects version. The game version and the LE versions have several differences, and the LE version is quite different from the Weta version as well, so special attention had to be given toward the LE detailing. After scrutinizing screen captures from both the "We Are ODST" commercial and the making-of videos, I got to this point with the pepakura model and at that point hit it with fiberglass. Note that the entire jaw portion was redesigned, as well as the temple areas above the visor and the ear portions:

S7009898a.jpg

S7009965.jpg

And then sculpting began as usual. Here it is together with my Recon helmet for size comparison:

S7009991.jpg

S7100018.jpg

S7100022.jpg

S7100259.jpg

S7100260.jpg

S7000286.jpg

S7000302.jpg

Since this is for a group costume for Dragon Con, I made a two-part mold for this so castings could be made. Starting with a clay retaining wall to shape the mold seam, I then coated each side in five layers of rubber. On the final layer I patted in some cotton cloth (so that it would be embedded into the rubber), and then fiberglassed directly onto that cotton cloth (so that the rubber and fiberglass were one connected piece for simplicity).

S7000378.jpg

S7000380-1.jpg

S7000415.jpg

S7000438.jpg

Over the past couple days I've been making castings for our group. The first two castings were made out of just fiberglass resin with micro bulb filler in them to make a gel coat. That worked pretty well. Then I tried a casting out of Smooth-On Smooth Cast Onyx, and I ended up not liking it too much because it set up too quickly in this heat (and I didn't have any curing inhibitor on hand). So for the later castings I'll just be using the fiberglass resin.

S7000447.jpg

S7000456.jpg

I'm currently sculpting the visor buck for vacuum forming, so I'm really close to finishing these helmets. We are contemplating selling castings of these after our four helmets are made, but we're going to focus on our costumes before everything else first.

Amazing! Those are some BEASTLY ODST Helmets you have there

I like how you've smoothened the top out in the pep work. I sorta wish I did that now :p

I need to level the whole dome out now with Bondo to get it to match the height of those raised areas above the "ears"

Awesomestuffs!

Anthony

This is beautiful, love your work!!

This one's on my very long list of things to build, I like what Legacy did with the ODST.

Moving this into the Molded Armor section, no noob here...

That's awesome. You have modified it perfectly. It also give me a great idea how to go about mine. If i may ask a question though, in the pictures of the sculpting stage, are you using white cardstock to build up detail? Thanks!

Wow, now that is a progress post!! Very great job!! That turned out really, really good!! Do you mind if I ask what you used to build the "bridge" during the mold? Which turned out super clean I might add.

-Matt

You are very talented man. It looks really good. Cant wait to see the final set up!

Ruze789 said:
This is beautiful, love your work!!

This one's on my very long list of things to build, I like what Legacy did with the ODST.

Moving this into the Molded Armor section, no noob here...

I like the proportions of the LE helmet. While the Weta one is certainly a beautiful work of art, I love the sleek look of the LE helmet. And thanks for the move! Much appreciated!

Shaymin Sky said:
That's awesome. You have modified it perfectly. It also give me a great idea how to go about mine. If i may ask a question though, in the pictures of the sculpting stage, are you using white cardstock to build up detail? Thanks!

If you are referring to that part on the ear section, then no, it is not cardstock. It's 2mm sintra. Though I also did some detail work in "for sale sign" plastic as well when I needed thinner plastic for raised details.

mks81 said:
Wow, now that is a progress post!! Very great job!! That turned out really, really good!! Do you mind if I ask what you used to build the "bridge" during the mold? Which turned out super clean I might add.

-Matt

Thanks! It's my best two-part mold to date, so I'm very proud of how clean it came out. The seam line clean-up is rather minor as well, thanks to the many many registration tabs I put into the mold. For the bridge you are asking about, it's sulfer-free modeling clay. Smooth-On rubbers will not cure on clay that has sulfer in it, so be sure to get clay that clearly says "SULFER FREE" on it! I know from experience!

MikyVengeance said:
oh man!

that looks so perfect!

I love the pep file! is there a link anywhere? :)

If you read my post, I stated that it is that medium-definition ODST helmet pep file. I don't recall where I found the link, but a quick search here on the 405th will get you where you want to go. Also, keep in mind - as I said in my post - this pep build was heavily modified before I fiberglassed it, as evident by the photos I posted (you can tell the modified areas by the parts that don't have numbers printed on them. So even if you found the file I used, it wouldn't be the same as my pepped end product. Just FYI.

And thanks for all the wonderful responses! I put a lot of hard work into this build, and I'm glad my efforts have not gone unnoticed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when you made your first helmet now look your making odst's better than space ( no offense) WOW!

Did you ever see this thread Sean posted?

Legacy Studios Odst Suits at Eccc

Bungie/ MS brought out a couple of the suits and were worn around. A couple nice views of the back that are a little clearer than in the BTS or the short. I might have a couple more floating around on my HD, I'll look if you'd like.

Weta's still my fave version out there but the Legacy one really did catch my attention too. You're certainly doing it justice!

Amazing job. The smoothness of the pep helmet is outstanding (wish i knew how to do that). As for the two part mold, it is one of the best molding jobs I have ever seen. It's so clean and perfect that I'm just blown away.

Awesome job, keep it up.

Andrew

dude can i buy one of these off you? i don't know how we'd do the post, but i imagine (and hope) you've sold many of these before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back