U513's Halo Reach Carter Build - Finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking good so far :)

Thanks Drack!

man i have missed a lot, gun, armor and lights are looking great :)
cant wait to see it painted up

lol I haven't seen your name on many posts recently and was wondering what you were up to. Yeah, beena bit busy recently. Been struck down with cold now though so things have slowed down a lot. Im glad you are liking the progress!

Actually, you could have buy PVA rotocast Resin too... or woodglue which includes PVA. This seals the surface and the armor is still flexibile without any paint cracks. i spend 8€ on 1can of plastidip just for a light coat on the pva sealed armor befor painting.

I did think long and hard about using PVA glue but the problem with it is that everyone who uses it brushes it on and it can take a lot of coats and can leave brush stroke marks behind. I thought about spraying it on using my compressor and a spray gun but wasn't sure of the results I would get.This is why I opted for Plasti dip in the end. It saves a lot of hassle

Holy crap U513, £70 on plastidip? Well atleast you shouldn't run out.

Harican your video was insanely helpful. Thank you! I know what I'll be doing :)

Yeah its a decent wack but I have spent so much time and effort on the suit that I am going to go for the best paint job I can afford :D

I did think long and hard about using PVA glue but the problem with it is that everyone who uses it brushes it on and it can take a lot of coats and can leave brush stroke marks behind. I thought about spraying it on using my compressor and a spray gun but wasn't sure of the results I would get.This is why I opted for Plasti dip in the end. It saves a lot of hassle

The problem with the brush stroke marks is easy to solve... use quality varnish brushes. they are the best for those kind of works. the brush can be cleaned with simple hot water after using. but its your choice ^^ the paint quality is good enough and is valued the price - and btw: i seen a lot of halo armor builds who run really bad with the plastiDip because they use to much or less.

The problem with the brush stroke marks is easy to solve... use quality varnish brushes. they are the best for those kind of works. the brush can be cleaned with simple hot water after using. but its your choice ^^ the paint quality is good enough and is valued the price - and btw: i seen a lot of halo armor builds who run really bad with the plastiDip because they use to much or less.

i agree its much much cheaper compared to dipping the suit but my gut just tells me to go for plasti dip. I have seen some brilliant results when they are used and am confident i can replicate those results. I just wasnt sure with PVA plus i have read that its best to apply 5 to 7 ver thin coats which would take forever for me to do. Maybe next time ill go for the PVA route :)

Just finished working on the lights within the right bicep. I also noticed whilst i was watching the cut scenes from Reach that Noble Leader also has a light in the right shoulder piece. so i have installed that too. Just the torso left now to light up. Im hoping the the suit will be ready to paint come monday. Still no Plastidip though :(

Anyone have any suggestion for gloves? ideally i'd like some plain black gloves which i can fully customise.

Looking good! I respect you for going foam on the helmet, definitely a lot more difficult to shape it properly - keep it up! Also a fan of the color of blue you are using.

Looking good! I respect you for going foam on the helmet, definitely a lot more difficult to get the shaping properly - keep it up! Also a fan of the color of blue you are using.

Thanks man! I must say, it has been a pain to build the helmet out of foam. If i do another build it will be bondo and resin for the helmet for sure! Iam thinking of building the ancient human armour and am surprised no one has done anything on it still. i love the Mark V helmet you are building. Its one of my favourite helmet designs and you have done it really well!

The blue is currently just the foam i used. The colour that im going to go for in the end is going to be similar but maybe slightly lighter.

I Would go with these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Armors-Black-Tactical-Paint-Ball-Combat-Gloves-/300966196633

but the series of the O'neal gloves is pretty nice also.

Thanks dude. They will do nicely, apologies for the late reply. I was hoping to have a big update done today and post everything as one post but was unable to get all of the work done i had planned. All the lighting is done. Just got some detail work around the abs and just above the cod piece to do.

Massive update.

Plasti dip arrived today (gym went out of the window) and I dipped most of my suit (turns out 7 cans weren't enough) still have the abs and cod to do as well as a few of the add ons and sword. Ordered 3 more cans so that should do it!

I wasn't happy with the back shape of my chest piece because all the little piece of foam were just being sort of pushed out and warped so I inserted leftover pipe from my DMR make to add a back support which improved things a lot.

I also did the lighting for my torso. The most challenging part of the lighting process were the vents in the middle of the back. So I gave it some thought and came up with something that has worked brilliantly (I think)

first I chopped out some slots, I then fitted LED's and some foil paper to reflect as much light out as possible

I then made the vents pattern out of the left over visor 0.5mm thick acrylic sheeting. Stuck it all together with an overlap using epoxy resin.

I then inserted piece of foam to creat a lift cutting them just should of the plastic edge (see photos below)

and the result

Thighs have also been dipped along with other items

DMR

Boots and Shins

Forearms with my Samsung S3 incorporated as a tactical pad

Biceps and Shoulders

Helmet

and the customary fooling around / posing

Massive update.

7 cans not enough? Okay I'm definitely going with the PVA route aha. Hopefully 2 or 3 cans should be enough for an outer layer over some PVA.

Everything's looking amazing, I'm shocked that you didn't suit up haha. It doesn't even look anything like foam now. Hopefully you won't need many more cans haha.

Nice update man, lots of progress :)

DMR looks sweet btw.

-S420

7 cans not enough? Okay I'm definitely going with the PVA route aha. Hopefully 2 or 3 cans should be enough for an outer layer over some PVA.

Everything's looking amazing, I'm shocked that you didn't suit up haha. It doesn't even look anything like foam now. Hopefully you won't need many more cans haha.

Nice update man, lots of progress :)

DMR looks sweet btw.

-S420

My God this looks amazing. Can't wait to see the suit all on at once :D

Dude! that's freak'in awesome I can't wait to see it finished!:D

Thanks guys, I am amazed the difference a bit of paint has had. Sorry I didn't suit up fully but I'm waiting for the abs and cod to be painted before I do that.

Have a little bit of detail work to do around the abs which I will do today and try and finish off the pouch as well and then I'm hoping to sit down and order the coloured paint this weekend with the aim of having the suit painted next weekend. Hopefully the dip cans I have ordered arrive by Saturday!

this is coming along great! i loved your lighting under the ridges on your back it came out evenly and beautifully. cant wait to see the rest of your paint job. ^_^

Wow thats a lot of cans of plastidip, makes me think i should have used more of my one can for my helmet lol

Armor is looking great man, keep it up :)

this is coming along great! i loved your lighting under the ridges on your back it came out evenly and beautifully. cant wait to see the rest of your paint job. ^_^

Thanks mate. I tried to show the process step by step. I haven't seen anyone else do it like this so I thought it will be really useful for those who want to try and get that effect. I too cant wait to see the rest of my paint job :D

Wow thats a lot of cans of plastidip, makes me think i should have used more of my one can for my helmet lol

Armor is looking great man, keep it up :)

Yeah tell me about it!!!! my wallet hurts! its worth it though. there are some areas where the spray wont go so I might buy a small can of non aerosol dip with a little brush to get those areas. The two thighs used up one can between them. The rifle took a lot of dip too due to the weird patterns etc. Its like I say to anyone who says you are crazy for spending so much time and money 'im alllll in'

Well i need to start saving my chips then lol. Or my all in wont be very much :p
Cant wait to see the paint man keep it up :)

Well i need to start saving my chips then lol. Or my all in wont be very much :p
Cant wait to see the paint man keep it up :)

I think your helmet looks great! Besides, Plastidip is waaaaaay cheaper in the states than it is here across the pond :( For my next build I will go bondo and fiberglass. It will be a high detail suit. This has just warmed me up for whats to come next. I thought about doing an ancient human armour out of foam (free hand) but I want to try bondo and fiberglass :)

Updates

Cod and abs are done. Added detail to back and side of abs which continues the pattern at the front and I have also made the bag attachment carter has on the back of his cod. its fully working and has two areas internally.

Looking great! I love the phone being integrated into the armor! Great idea!

Thanks dude, it had to be done. Should look awesome at night!

Just ordered all the paints and a new airbrush so fingers crossed ill have some colour on this VERY soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back