Vacuum Forming Totorial For Noobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok well i dont have ny of that plastic but woul i be abe tpo cut up 2l pop bottles and use those in a vacuum former? i know you can use a heat gun with pop bottles to get the odst visor so would i be able to do it in a vacuum former? and if soo how would i go about heating it up without the oven or buying one. would i be able to use a hair dryer? like over a long period of time would it work. or rest a jar of boiing water on top of it so it just gets heat?

well u cant vacume form with a soda bottle, cause there will be little sucksion so form cause the plastic would be all warped, also a hair dryer isnt hot enough, not to mention a sheet of polystyrene is within the price range of 5 dollars

wut i have done is cut off the ottom and top so its just a strip of plastic and wut i was wondering would the plastic used to make pop bottles work. if so how would i go about heaing ?without and oven? and can you get polystyene clear? cuz if its oly 5 bucks maybe ill get somof those. but is there anyway to hear plastic without the oven?

um yes i understand what you are talking about with the pop bottels and chances are it wont work, i mean it might work (mind you im not 100% sure it wont cause i havent done it with pop bottels before) yes you can get polystyren clear, and and i belive in many tinted colours (correct me if i wrong). and there are a few other ways of heating it, one is using the oven as you know, the other is using a hair dryer (but only if it hot enough) heating it up with a toaster, making your own heat sorce out of conductive coiling in a box (READ ON HOW TO DO IT BEFORE DOING SO, it could blow up in your face or catch on fire). hope that helped

//jeremy

haha thanks im gunna try using a lighter under neath the plstic far enaough that only heats gets to it ill see how that works. ill do a couple test runs if no luck ill see if i can buy some styrene. and ill make a better box

xXSTICKXx said:
haha thanks im gunna try using a lighter under neath the plstic far enaough that only heats gets to it ill see how that works. ill do a couple test runs if no luck ill see if i can buy some styrene.

i can see where this is going haha... just be sure to test *OUTSIDE* haha.... or you may... you know burn your house down... and we wouldnt want that now would be :p

Last edited by a moderator:
haha im not that stupid. i sont ppay with fire at all infact it really doeant inteerest me except lighting campfire by placeing woid and chopping it. imma do ot outside anyways its were my machine is. and im only using a lighter cuz its tye only thing i can find and the only thing i can think of

srry for typing errors im on my iphone. dang touch screen :)

aha .. this is interesting .. maybe i can vacuum form my suit afterward. much safer and light to wear. unlike FG ..

xXSTICKXx said:
ok and do anyof you guys think i could get polystyrene from michaels arts and crafts store?

well even if you can't get it there, they would for SURE know where you could get it from. so for sure check them out :)

xXSTICKXx said:
ok and do anyof you guys think i could get polystyrene from michaels arts and crafts store?

You'll probably want to refer to it as HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene), when most people hear polystyrene they think of the stuff that comes in TV boxes and such ;)

Also if you're wanting to do visors you might want to look out for PETG, that comes in all sorts of colours/tints

so if i went to michales and asked for petg do you think theyd have some of that and if so what lke number do i want like .020? and would i be able to heat it over my stove not in the oven cuz i really do not wanna put it in the oven.

and your right belakor when i told my mo i needed polystyrene shes like why do you need styraphoam:p but il get PETG if its better for making visors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back