ValkyDesigns Veronica Dare Build Log

valkydesigns

BMO
405th Regiment Officer
Hello there!
I'll be starting my Dare build soon so I figured I should start my first build log! I will be using TurboCharizard 3d files for most of the armor. My helmet 3d files are from Moesizlac on Thingiverse. However, all of the undersuit, the chest piece base will be done by me with a mix of fabrics, foam, clips and metal parts. At the end of my build, I'm hoping to help new members have an easier time working on the undersuit as I know it's never an easy part to work on. It's funny cauz I expected this costume to be easy and after looking at the 3d mode, I clearly noticed how much details the undersuit alone has XD and it will for sure be way more intricate then I expected, but IT'S COOL! I'm excited to finally have my first Halo costume, and I hope that my logs help people make their own!

Let's start with some references I got from a 3d model file!

1697139930641.png
1697139937734.png
1697139968312.png
1697139975707.png
1697139980078.png
1697139992247.png
1697139997068.png
1697140002075.png
1697140010165.png
1697140018713.png

For the base suit, I could tell that the main fabric of the suit was waffle knit. You can see it at the elbows and back of the knees. SO, I got myself a pair of pants and a simple shirt with the same materials!
1697140219445.png
1697140231384.png

1697140245018.png
1697140251524.png

WZProps was kind enough to start working on my helmet for me while I was working on 100000 other costumes so here's the most recent progess! The helmet has a layer of resin inside to help keep it nice and sturdy.
20231012_155304.jpg

I finally finished my previous project soooooo onto Dare! I started drafting the undershirt today, bought a bunch of fabrics cauz obviously it has a lot of different colors and textures O_O I made a materials board below if you guys are curious and I did a quick sketch of the front! (Ignore the text on the drawing, I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted when I drew it. But, it shows how I'll cut everything.)

The shirt will have a back zipper from the middle of the back to the neck to ensure a tight fit. I also made a quick paper mockup of the foam pieces that will go on the belly. I'll probably cut them up this week while I start to make a pattern of the rest of the shirt. The outside piece will have the faux leather as is, the abs pieces will have a slight paint job on top of the faux leather to make them look a bit more grey then black.
20240210_161718~2.jpg
1707619706867.png

Here's the materials board I was talking about! I decided that I won't be making the underpiece shoulder straps cauz it would mean having 2 setps of straps and well... that will be terribly uncomfortable so I'll stick with the top black and blue ones.

As for the neck, I want to make it with black faux leather covered foam too so it keeps a nice shape all the time. I also decided to try out something else for the shoulders. I don't want them to become to wrinckly as I move so my idea was to make the top part of the pieces separate. I'll sew them directly on the shirt alone (like on my sketch) and the rest of the piece will be only sewed to the shirt from underneath the navy part. The rest of it will be loose and it will have a whole at the top, that way it should prevent it from wrinckling too much when lifting my arms!^^ I might just add a velcro at the end to ensure it stays in place if it doesn't want to. We'll see.
1707619417321.png

Hello there!
I'll be starting my Dare build soon so I figured I should start my first build log! I will be using TurboCharizard 3d files for most of the armor. My helmet 3d files are from Moesizlac on Thingiverse. However, all of the undersuit, the chest piece base will be done by me with a mix of fabrics, foam, clips and metal parts. At the end of my build, I'm hoping to help new members have an easier time working on the undersuit as I know it's never an easy part to work on. It's funny cauz I expected this costume to be easy and after looking at the 3d mode, I clearly noticed how much details the undersuit alone has XD and it will for sure be way more intricate then I expected, but IT'S COOL! I'm excited to finally have my first Halo costume, and I hope that my logs help people make their own!

Let's start with some references I got from a 3d model file!

View attachment 336943View attachment 336944View attachment 336945View attachment 336946View attachment 336947View attachment 336948View attachment 336949View attachment 336950View attachment 336951View attachment 336952

For the base suit, I could tell that the main fabric of the suit was waffle knit. You can see it at the elbows and back of the knees. SO, I got myself a pair of pants and a simple shirt with the same materials!
View attachment 336953View attachment 336955
View attachment 336956View attachment 336957

WZProps was kind enough to start working on my helmet for me while I was working on 100000 other costumes so here's the most recent progess! The helmet has a layer of resin inside to help keep it nice and sturdy.
View attachment 336958
I love the helmet! You going to have the big glowing green ball thing (no idea what it’s called)? I saw someone had it at HCS last year and it looked really good, maybe you can top it!

I love the helmet! You going to have the big glowing green ball thing (no idea what it’s called)? I saw someone had it at HCS last year and it looked really good, maybe you can top it!
Are you referring to Virgil? Screenshot_20240211_155840_Google.jpg

That would be cool for this build.

I finally finished my previous project soooooo onto Dare! I started drafting the undershirt today, bought a bunch of fabrics cauz obviously it has a lot of different colors and textures O_O I made a materials board below if you guys are curious and I did a quick sketch of the front! (Ignore the text on the drawing, I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted when I drew it. But, it shows how I'll cut everything.)

The shirt will have a back zipper from the middle of the back to the neck to ensure a tight fit. I also made a quick paper mockup of the foam pieces that will go on the belly. I'll probably cut them up this week while I start to make a pattern of the rest of the shirt. The outside piece will have the faux leather as is, the abs pieces will have a slight paint job on top of the faux leather to make them look a bit more grey then black.
View attachment 341940View attachment 341942
Here's the materials board I was talking about! I decided that I won't be making the underpiece shoulder straps cauz it would mean having 2 setps of straps and well... that will be terribly uncomfortable so I'll stick with the top black and blue ones.

As for the neck, I want to make it with black faux leather covered foam too so it keeps a nice shape all the time. I also decided to try out something else for the shoulders. I don't want them to become to wrinckly as I move so my idea was to make the top part of the pieces separate. I'll sew them directly on the shirt alone (like on my sketch) and the rest of the piece will be only sewed to the shirt from underneath the navy part. The rest of it will be loose and it will have a whole at the top, that way it should prevent it from wrinckling too much when lifting my arms!^^ I might just add a velcro at the end to ensure it stays in place if it doesn't want to. We'll see.
View attachment 341939

Exciting is underway, not worries about overheating with the material choices?

Are you referring to Virgil? View attachment 341944

That would be cool for this build.

Exciting is underway, not worries about overheating with the material choices?
Yes and no haha! We'll have Virgil at the booth. WZProps made animations of him that we'll be able to display on a tablet.
The fabrics I chose for the base are actually pretty breathable. Considering I'm also making only one base layer then the vest on top to avoid having too many layers I think it shouldn't be too bad.

I was considering adding fans in my suit itself cauz yes, I am very worried about overheating haha! BUT honestly I prefer choosing accuracy cauz I'm obsessed with that XD As long as I can remove my helmet once in a while I should be ok. I have a wig too to be able to do her helmet off version with the head piece. :)

I mean this is not a competition... I make my own version of the costume but I'd rather not use words like "top it". Thanks for the helmet compliment! So far WZProps is doing a wonderful job on it^^ I'm glad I have the help so I can focus on the 20000 other details from the suit itself XD

Finished assembling my front pieces for the undersuit! Next step will be to cover this baby up with stretch vinyl and then attach it to my shirt! I also did the spine base! Glued the middle pieces yesterday, will finish sanding this week so I can cover it up with vinyl too soon! Looks like nothing so far but it's getting there! Trust the process!

1709573795048.png
1709573597116.png

Hey there! Small update for tonight! Covered my abs in a 4-way stretch faux leather! I'm leaving a small edge all around to be able to sew it to the rest of the shirt :) also this is my first time using this technique and some small parts didn't glue perfectly so I'll be adding some stitches by hand in some deeper areas to make a better finish
1000025661.jpg

Oh how I wish I had found 4-way stretch pleather before I made my ab wrap. Using a non-stretchable thick fabric was soo tedious. For next time, where in Canada did you buy 4-way stretch fabric? I found some in the US shortly after I finished my ab-wrap. But I didn't have luck at michaels or fabricland

Your ab wrap looks very nice btw!

Oh how I wish I had found 4-way stretch pleather before I made my ab wrap. Using a non-stretchable thick fabric was soo tedious. For next time, where in Canada did you buy 4-way stretch fabric? I found some in the US shortly after I finished my ab-wrap. But I didn't have luck at michaels or fabricland

Your ab wrap looks very nice btw!
I rarely find good ones in Canada sadly. I get it here MJTrends: Black faux leather
Their fabric is really good quality! Prices are pretty good too!

Tiny update for today! Started the hand stitch for the deeper abs part. I think it really adds a nice touch even if I know nobody will see it To me, details helps make a costume feel real so it's always important that I add some my hands are gonna hate me tho but I can manage
1000025697.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back