ValkyDesigns Veronica Dare Build Log

Almost done Next it's the spine!
1000025918.jpg

Do you require special needles or tools for sewing through toe faux leather and the foam? I used vice grips and bent a bunch of needles. There's got to be a better way. Also is there a specific kind of thread that is ideal for this?

Do you require special needles or tools for sewing through toe faux leather and the foam? I used vice grips and bent a bunch of needles. There's got to be a better way. Also is there a specific kind of thread that is ideal for this?
So I worked for a LARP leather artisan a couple of years ago, developped a certain knowledge for leather and I ended up using some stuff I had bought from those days^^

Here's what I used:
Wood Handle Awl that I used to make the wholes in the piece! It's very sharp and goes really well through foam and the fabric I used^^ (Metal piece with wood handle) If you poke the wholes well, you should not even need to force the needle. Just make sure that you follow the wholes instead of going with too much strenght and poke wholes where you aren't meant to. It's not a super thin piece so figuring out where your needle will end up might take some practice :)
Diamond Lacing Stitching Chisel that I used to help me mark even distances for the stitches :) It just helps me work faster and I already had it so always helpful! You can also use a hammer to possibly make wholes directly with that tool but I prefer using the Awl. (The metal tool)
Leather needle. Their thread whole is definitly bigger and is way more sturdy.
Thread wise, I didn't want to go with a leather one because they have wax on them and can dirty your faux leather. They are also harder to knot at the end in my eyes so you'd need glue to fix the knots in place. I used what I believe is a machine embroidery thread? It's thicker then regular machine thread and also a bit thinner then leather thread. I thought it did the job beautifully and I already had it cauz of a previous project of WZProps so why not save money while reusing something we already owned XD

I was thinking of filming myself the next time I finish it so you guys can see how I do it :) figured it might help some. It's relatively simple once you know what to do ❤️

1710788308441.png

Last edited:
I was thinking of filming myself the next time I finish it so you guys can see how I do it :) figured it might help some. It's relatively simple once you know what to do ❤️

Oh please do film if you can, as a visual learner that would be spectacular to see! Beautiful work! I have to hand sew for the first time my Sean Bradley gloves and ODST foam shoulders. Eventually an ab wrap as well, love the explanation in the last post as well! Great documentation of the process, this is really cool.

Oh please do film if you can, as a visual learner that would be spectacular to see! Beautiful work! I have to hand sew for the first time my Sean Bradley gloves and ODST foam shoulders. Eventually an ab wrap as well, love the explanation in the last post as well! Great documentation of the process, this is really cool.
I should be continuing it tonight^^ Will do! Makes me really happy to know it might help!

I should have totally filmed horizontally but I never think about it lately and I could not upload the video directly here. I think it was too long for that >< The video should be in HD in about 30 mins it's still uploading but I'll be doing other things tonight so hope it helps^^

Also excuse my voice I'm French Canadian and I'm terribly tired lately so I struggle more then normal with english XD

Last edited:
I should have totally filmed horizontally but I never think about it lately and I could not upload the video directly here. I think it was too long for that >< The video should be in HD in about 30 mins it's still uploading but I'll be doing other things tonight so hope it helps^^

Also excuse my voice I'm French Canadian and I'm terribly tired lately so I struggle more then normal with english XD
An awesome explanation video. As I’m learning different sewing things, this’ll help to look back on.

That ab wrap looks KILLER. I've been thinking of doing something similar for my suit, but haven't gotten past making a wrap that is just a layer of canvas, then quilt batting, then pleather on top (with the pattern stitched on; the quilt batting adds a "3D" look to it when sewn but man, that 3 layers of stuff gets *toasty*

That ab wrap looks KILLER. I've been thinking of doing something similar for my suit, but haven't gotten past making a wrap that is just a layer of canvas, then quilt batting, then pleather on top (with the pattern stitched on; the quilt batting adds a "3D" look to it when sewn but man, that 3 layers of stuff gets *toasty*
Thankfully its just at the belly and back. I was hoping to use breathable fabrics for most of the rest

I swear I'm still slowly working on the costume XD Proof! I've been really busy so it's a bit nuts O_O
Abs are done stitching, the spine is done sanding! Now next step is to glue the spine pieces to a back 2mm piece to keep it in one piece instead of multiple separate ones and then it's faux leather covering time! I'm a bit more nervous for this one. I hope the glue will stick nicely on the corners.
1712148060386.png
1712148153852.png

I've been lurking this thread for a bit, so I suppose I should say something lol. I'm working on the spine piece for my recon ODST as well, and I was wondering if you had pointers. What's your process for skinning your foam pieces in fabric? I'm having issues with cementing one layer of foam to another that's already been covered in fabric.

I've been lurking this thread for a bit, so I suppose I should say something lol. I'm working on the spine piece for my recon ODST as well, and I was wondering if you had pointers. What's your process for skinning your foam pieces in fabric? I'm having issues with cementing one layer of foam to another that's already been covered in fabric.
Do you just need to attach them from behind or you want to layer them? Also what parts exactly? Do you have photos? Would help me to give you the best answers :) I'm making my abs and my spine in one big foam piece all assembled and covering the entire thing in stretch faux leather. There's just my abs that will have a top layer and I was thinking of simply putting some snaps cauz gluing them is gonna be almost impossible and the bottom will be sewed together.

I'll start a build thread with some photos, hopefully that'll give you some more context. Snaps are a girl's best friend, 10/10 fasteners lol.
I tend to avoid velcros sometimes cauz of wigs and the need to sew them properly. Snaps are easier to sew by hand.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back