vv_7 ODST build WIP - my first attempt(picture heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wat glue do u use

I use elmer's white glue on all my peps. Where there are fine details that can rip easily I use low temp hot glue instead. That way I can get an instant bond and the glue point is stronger than just paper.

I still don't know what to do about the gauntlet...

how long will the helmet take to make like yours

Took me 5 Saturdays (darn M-F, 8-5 job gets in the way). I worked from 2-3 hours each saturday. The Pep took the longest time. The hardening took the shortest time (20 minutes to slush 3 layers of casting resin).

I'm about to speed up the process though. Someone is letting me use his Silhouette SD and I will buy Pepakura Craft Robo this friday - WOOHOO!!! If I can get it setup this saturday, i'll take videos.

look what was given to me to play with today...

DSCN6696.jpg

This should reduce my pep time. Plus no more bruised and sore hands from scissors.

DSCN6696.jpg

Nice progress vv_7! Does the Silhouette print in letter format too? All I've read about their plotters is that they only take A4. Anyway, that would make your peps a whole lot easier!

look what was given to me to play with today...

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh258/vvvv_767/DSCN6696.jpg[IMG]

This should reduce my pep time. Plus no more bruised and sore hands from scissors.[/QUOTE]

You are going to love that thing. I have one and it makes the whole process go so much smoother.

Nice work on the helmet, too. You do nice work.

[quote="TD2253, post: 477784"]Nice progress vv_7! Does the Silhouette print in letter format too? All I've read about their plotters is that they only take A4. Anyway, that would make your peps a whole lot easier![/QUOTE]

It can do letter, but you have to play with the settings.

Got the cutter working

after some technical issues, i finally got the Silloutte working.

Here is a video of it cutting something real time. Video was not sped up in any way. It really cut this fast. Sorry for the dim video, the cutter does not work well in a bright room becuase it can not find the registration marks on the paper when it is too bright.

This really is going to save me A LOT of time...

Last edited by a moderator:
More milling

I still need to pep a new gauntlet that is smaller. Will try to get that done soon. Will also keep working on smoothing out the rest of the torso with Bondo.

Some update pictures

Finished the shoulder strap buckles
DSCN6697.jpg

And here is the abdomen plate datails being machined.

No cuts yet
DSCN6684.jpg

First milling pass
DSCN6685.jpg

The rest of the passes
DSCN6686.jpg

DSCN6687.jpg

DSCN6689.jpg

DSCN6690.jpg

All done: Front
DSCN6691.jpg

Back. The red circles are the Bend Points
DSCN6692.jpg

Bending
DSCN6694.jpg

DSCN6695.jpg

I did not take picture of it on the right abdomen plate but here is the picture of the left plate
DSCN6681smaller.jpg

DSCN6697.jpg

DSCN6684.jpg

DSCN6685.jpg

DSCN6686.jpg

DSCN6687.jpg

DSCN6689.jpg

DSCN6690.jpg

DSCN6691.jpg

DSCN6692.jpg

DSCN6694.jpg

DSCN6695.jpg

DSCN6681smaller.jpg

thanks everyone for the compliments. Update. I was never really happy with my torso armor. But I already invested a lot of time in it to start over. So I did some modifications.

This was the Pep file I used:
TorsoPepFile.jpg

Here it was a few months ago partially pep'd
F6BORM3GD2JKFNJ_MEDIUM.jpg

And here is a close up of the part that made me unhappy
DSCN5059.jpg

The red line showed how square the pep was. plus the center was shapped weird, like a bulge going down the spine.

This was my proposed modification. Pictured is my pep with a layer of Bondo BEFORE sanding.
DSCN5046.jpg

I cut a lot of material away. Now be aware that I had to cut through the following layers, Bondo, resin, paper, casting resin. Then I put several very thick layers of bondo. Then I sanded it to shape.

Here is my end result.
DSCN6703.jpg

DSCN6716_bottom.jpg

Going to modify a couple more things. Stay tuned...

TorsoPepFile.jpg

F6BORM3GD2JKFNJ_MEDIUM.jpg

DSCN5059.jpg

DSCN5046.jpg

DSCN6703.jpg

DSCN6716_bottom.jpg

More Torso Mod

OK, here is the rest of my update...

I also was not happy with my weapon mounting point on the back of the torso. I decided to mix up some mud and modify it.

Here is the tape dam to hold the rondo in place.
DSCN6704.jpg

DSCN6706.jpg

And the rondo mud being poured in.
DSCN6710.jpg

DSCN6708.jpg

After curing for 20 minutes I remove the tape.
DSCN6713.jpg

DSCN6714.jpg

Then I sand down the old mount point to be flush with the new rondo layer.
DSCN6715.jpg

Here is my completed torso with a coat of primer
DSCN6718.jpg

DSCN6720.jpg

DSCN6722.jpg

Next thing is to slice it up along the red lines shown so I can actually put it on.
DSCN6716.jpg

I will be imbedding strong magnets in the mount point to hold a weapon. I'll take pictures of that too.

I'm going to try and finish up the chest plate this week.

DSCN6704.jpg

DSCN6706.jpg

DSCN6710.jpg

DSCN6708.jpg

DSCN6713.jpg

DSCN6714.jpg

DSCN6715.jpg

DSCN6718.jpg

DSCN6720.jpg

DSCN6722.jpg

DSCN6716.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Magnets

Smexshy! =D

I had to look this up, LOL (or perhaps sad that I had to look it up in Urban Dictionary). Anyway, thanks.

As I mentioned I am embedding magnets into the torso to hold weapons. Here is how that turned out.

Got 20 of these little guys. Each magnet has a 7 pound pull. I am installing 10 on the back of the torso.
DSCN6724.jpg

Drilled 10 holes. Got out the Gorilla glue. I will fill each hole with glue
DSCN6725.jpg

The magnets are smooth so I scuffed them up with my dremel so that the epoxy has something to grip.
DSCN6730.jpg

Then I glued the magnets in.
DSCN6727.jpg

DSCN6732.jpg

On the weapons I have magnets that are 1/2 inch dia. by 1/2 inch tall. Those magnets have a 27 pound pull. Between the 10 small magnets on my back and perhaps three large magnets on the weapon, I think the weapon will hold securely on my back.

DSCN6724.jpg

DSCN6725.jpg

DSCN6730.jpg

DSCN6727.jpg

DSCN6732.jpg

Magnets for weapons, awesome. really great build with lots of fine detail. nice work!

Lol, someone actually built my Odst helm and finished it, although i think you got an older file where the front top was a bit too big and squared.

You had to look it up, lulz! =P
Looking great man, like the idea of grinding down the magnets for the epoxy to stick to 'em. (Probably why it took a loooot of trouble for me to attach mine) lol! :/

Magnets for weapons, awesome. really great build with lots of fine detail. nice work!Lol, someone actually built my Odst helm and finished it, although i think you got an older file where the front top was a bit too big and squared.

Yeah my file date is Jan 20 2010 so I guess that is fairly old. I downloaded and took me a while to get around to it. But it was a joy to pep. did not give me a headache like some other peps I have attempted. I think the model looks fine.

You had to look it up, lulz! =P
Looking great man, like the idea of grinding down the magnets for the epoxy to stick to 'em. (Probably why it took a loooot of trouble for me to attach mine) lol! :/

I actually had an issue with the magnets staying in the hole too. There was air trapped in the hole behind the magnet so the disk acted like an air piston. The magnets kept popping up becuase of the air pressure. I resolved the issue by putting large magnets behind the pep to pull the smaller magnets back into the hole.

Thanks both for the compliment.

Good idea, I had the same issue too (not too fun)... Also I was using the exact same magnets, so I know what the struggles like! =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back